Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Austin, TX Owners - Questions For You

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am currently considering moving from California to Austin, TX for a job. I visited this weekend and looked at a few apartments... Seems like none of them have on-site charging capabilities and it didn't look like my potential new office had chargers either. This is a big difference from here on the Central Coast of California.

Does anyone live in an apartment and have on-site charging? I don't really care about houses, because those are different from apartment complexes. Also, I would like to live in the city for at least a year before I even consider buying a house there.

I am worried that I will be forced to rely on a supercharger all the time and I don't want to do that.

Tell me what you do guys! :)

I think you'd be pretty hard pressed to find an apartment complex that offers ample charging spots. From my experience (haven't lived in an apartment for quite some time) visiting newer apartment buildings, even most of those generally have 2 or 3 spots in a garage that are dedicated for EV parking and charging, and ChargePoint is quite common in this regard.

Where are you looking in terms of apartments? In the downtown area? What areas of Austin are you willing to live in?

I am currently considering moving from California to Austin, TX for a job. I visited this weekend and looked at a few apartments... Seems like none of them have on-site charging capabilities and it didn't look like my potential new office had chargers either. This is a big difference from here on the Central Coast of California.

Does anyone live in an apartment and have on-site charging? I don't really care about houses, because those are different from apartment complexes. Also, I would like to live in the city for at least a year before I even consider buying a house there.

I am worried that I will be forced to rely on a supercharger all the time and I don't want to do that.

Tell me what you do guys! :)
This isn't really specifically a Model 3 issue. You might post in the Texas forum and get better response.:D

Texas

I'm wondering how common it is to run an extension cord from your patio to your car to get a little extra charge here and there? Not all the time, but maybe overnight so you have a little extra juice in the morning. I don't want my neighbors thinking I'm a hillbilly though.