Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Austin TX to Breckenridge Co ( add stop in Denver )

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am planning on driving my model 3 from Austin to Denver to Breckenridge CO on a ski trip. Looks like the Tesla route planner is taking us through Amarillo, Trinidad, Puablo, CO springs, Denver and to Breckenridge. In cold driving conditions does the model 3 accurately calculate charging times etc? Has anyone done this trip is it doable in a model3 with 5 passengers ? Any advice really appreciated.

Does it having you skipping Clayton? That location was installed explicitly for Texans traveling to Colorado :D

I have not done this trip in a Model 3. But I did drive around much of Colorado and across Kansas in January 2021 in my Model Y with the back end full of stuff. My recommendation is to charge to 15 or 20 % before departing Superchargers, rather than the typically recommended 10%. The car will attempt to calculate consumption increase, but if it's increasing on each leg, then it's always a leg behind. And you're going to be climbing elevation, in the cold, with a full load, and likely plenty of wind, often times in your face.

Also plan for each day to take an hour longer than estimated, and if you arrive earlier than that it's a bonus.

Does it having you skipping Clayton? That location was installed explicitly for Texans traveling to Colorado :D

I have not done this trip in a Model 3. But I did drive around much of Colorado and across Kansas in January 2021 in my Model Y with the back end full of stuff. My recommendation is to charge to 15 or 20 % before departing Superchargers, rather than the typically recommended 10%. The car will attempt to calculate consumption increase, but if it's increasing on each leg, then it's always a leg behind. And you're going to be climbing elevation, in the cold, with a full load, and likely plenty of wind, often times in your face.

Also plan for each day to take an hour longer than estimated, and if you arrive earlier than that it's a bonus.
Amarillo > Clayton > Trinidad > Monument > Breckenridge, I think I can also charge in CO springs, Denver and Silverthorne before Breckenridge. My problem is going to be charging in Breck, where there are no superchargers.

Amarillo > Clayton > Trinidad > Monument > Breckenridge, I think I can also charge in CO springs, Denver and Silverthorne before Breckenridge. My problem is going to be charging in Breck, where there are no superchargers.

It looks like there are actually several L2 charging locations in Breckenridge - some at hotels and some at lift parking lots. The main one seems to be at the South Gondola Parking Garage.

24 parking spots with J1772 plugs provided by ChargePoint. It's paid parking and paid EV charging, but both seem reasonable to me. Electricity rates WAY cheaper than Superchargers. And you'd be able to turn the climate control on to warm the car before you start your last run down the hill and arrive to a toasty seat and a full (90%) battery :)

Get your ChargePoint account setup before you leave home. And remember to bring your J1772 adapter!