TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Austin

Discussion in 'Texas' started by dsm363, Mar 21, 2012.

Tags:
  1. sublimaze1

sublimaze1 8Dec2012 / Leeroy Jenkins

What's this thread's experience with consumption when on the Pickle Parkway - say - doing 90-95?

• Informative x 1
  2. supersnoop

supersnoop Tesla Roadster #334

I'll have to check my logs, but my Roadster probably registers somewhere in the 450 wh/mile range.

3. sublimaze1

Sounds about what I remembered. I would have recalled high 400s (475ish) ... I know that on the fly, I calculated I would get about 105-115 miles of range if I kept it up. I guess I am after a charge target in Bellmead before heading to Bastrop. It is about 115 miles with about 2/3 of it on the Pickle. Probably smart to get as close to topped off as I can.

• Like x 1
  4. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

I've lived in Austin since long before the road was built and have never heard anyone refer to TX 130 as the "Pickle Parkway". When you gave that speed I assumed that was the highway you were referring to, but I had to Google it to find out that the toll road was named in honor of Jake Pickle. At least where I would get on or off, I've never seen a sign that said anything other than TX 130 toll road. In fact there is an article about problems with the highway in today's Austin American-Statesman (lack of toll revenue and shifting soils) and it never referred to it as Pickle Parkway. Amazing what one learns in reading posts on TMC.

• Informative x 1
  5. supersnoop

supersnoop Tesla Roadster #334

I've seen one sign the northern origin of SH-130 in Georgetown with the name Pickle Parkway, but I've never seen any other signs along the road.

6. sublimaze1

I am guessing it is a Google thing. That is where I heard the phrase and, honestly, it does give the giggles just saying it out loud. But I will say, there is something about the rear diffuser at 95mph that makes the S very pleasant to drive at that speed ... even more so than at normal highway speeds. It actually feels more like my old 328 the way it creeps down and hugs the road. Sort of Slot-Car like.

Downside ... near 500 wh/mi consumption.

But very fun. Now, as for those wild hogs ...

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Member

We've finally got a location (very late this year). If anyone is in town Saturday August 19th 10 AM to 4 PM and can swing by, we've got no Tesla signups as of today. I got a snub but the Tesla showroom (too many events that day) so they won't be stopping by, too small I guess.

You can log in to the Drive Electric Week site at National Drive Electric Week 2015

Austin event page is at National Drive Electric Week Event - Austin

8. alwaysru

alwaysru Supporting Member

Shaggy - I think you mean September 19th :) Registered!

9. mom52

mom52 New Member

Despite the Hilton concierge expressly telling me over the phone that they have a ChargePoint station in their garage, the Hilton in Downtown Austin DOES NOT have a ChargePoint charger in their garage. What they have is a piece of dead equipment with a ChargePoint sticker on it in their garage. I guess most Tesla owners are too smart to stay at Hilton because if they had someone would have noticed that ChargePoint is not currently servicing the station in the Hilton garage.
    --> Lesson learned: Stay at a destination charging hotel, like the FOUR SEASONS, the HYATT, or the W HOTEL.

• Helpful x 1
  10. Shaggy

Shaggy Member

They worked last year, use the CP app to report it as broken. It was where the Billion mile test drives were done in Austin.

11. Shaggy

Shaggy Member

And the 2016 Drive electric is up for Austin...

12. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

I thought it was at the Hyatt.

• Informative x 1
  13. soulreaver99

soulreaver99 Member

Reviving this thread... I am moving from SoCal to Austin Texas at the end of the month!!!

14. DriverOne

DriverOne Supporting Member

Cool! Lots of Teslas here :)

15. stevo1100

stevo1100 Member

16. Austindude

Austindude Member

This is an old thread but wondering if there are any Tesla owners events in or around Austin/San Antonio coming up this year? I also understand there are a few model 3 owners in the Austin area.

17. stevo1100

stevo1100 Member

You should join the austin/san antonio google group. A lot more activity there

18. sjcsale

sjcsale Member

Hello,
    Someone have link to google groups in Austin/San Antonio ?

Thanks!!

19. Shaggy

Shaggy Member

20. sjcsale

sjcsale Member