Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Austin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll have to check my logs, but my Roadster probably registers somewhere in the 450 wh/mile range.

Sounds about what I remembered. I would have recalled high 400s (475ish) ... I know that on the fly, I calculated I would get about 105-115 miles of range if I kept it up. I guess I am after a charge target in Bellmead before heading to Bastrop. It is about 115 miles with about 2/3 of it on the Pickle. Probably smart to get as close to topped off as I can.

Reactions: jbcarioca
What's this thread's experience with consumption when on the Pickle Parkway - say - doing 90-95?

I've lived in Austin since long before the road was built and have never heard anyone refer to TX 130 as the "Pickle Parkway". When you gave that speed I assumed that was the highway you were referring to, but I had to Google it to find out that the toll road was named in honor of Jake Pickle. At least where I would get on or off, I've never seen a sign that said anything other than TX 130 toll road. In fact there is an article about problems with the highway in today's Austin American-Statesman (lack of toll revenue and shifting soils) and it never referred to it as Pickle Parkway. Amazing what one learns in reading posts on TMC.

• Informative
Reactions: jbcarioca
I've lived in Austin since long before the road was built and have never heard anyone refer to TX 130 as the "Pickle Parkway". When you gave that speed I assumed that was the highway you were referring to, but I had to Google it to find out that the toll road was named in honor of Jake Pickle. At least where I would get on or off, I've never seen a sign that said anything other than TX 130 toll road. In fact there is an article about problems with the highway in today's Austin American-Statesman (lack of toll revenue and shifting soils) and it never referred to it as Pickle Parkway. Amazing what one learns in reading posts on TMC.
I've seen one sign the northern origin of SH-130 in Georgetown with the name Pickle Parkway, but I've never seen any other signs along the road.

I have never heard anyone refer to TX 130 as the "Pickle Parkway"

I am guessing it is a Google thing. That is where I heard the phrase and, honestly, it does give the giggles just saying it out loud. But I will say, there is something about the rear diffuser at 95mph that makes the S very pleasant to drive at that speed ... even more so than at normal highway speeds. It actually feels more like my old 328 the way it creeps down and hugs the road. Sort of Slot-Car like.

Downside ... near 500 wh/mi consumption.

But very fun. Now, as for those wild hogs ...

We've finally got a location (very late this year). If anyone is in town Saturday August 19th 10 AM to 4 PM and can swing by, we've got no Tesla signups as of today. I got a snub but the Tesla showroom (too many events that day) so they won't be stopping by, too small I guess.

You can log in to the Drive Electric Week site at National Drive Electric Week 2015

Austin event page is at National Drive Electric Week Event - Austin

The Hilton downtown Austin should have an EVSE (30A J1772) but call first to double check. If you have time, swing by the Domain Tesla gallery ('store') and there is a HPWC, a NEMA 14-50 outlet and a Roadster HPC there for use. You could top up and eat dinner there maybe and that would make finding a hotel with charging less of an issue.

Despite the Hilton concierge expressly telling me over the phone that they have a ChargePoint station in their garage, the Hilton in Downtown Austin DOES NOT have a ChargePoint charger in their garage. What they have is a piece of dead equipment with a ChargePoint sticker on it in their garage. I guess most Tesla owners are too smart to stay at Hilton because if they had someone would have noticed that ChargePoint is not currently servicing the station in the Hilton garage.
--> Lesson learned: Stay at a destination charging hotel, like the FOUR SEASONS, the HYATT, or the W HOTEL.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Despite the Hilton concierge expressly telling me over the phone that they have a ChargePoint station in their garage, the Hilton in Downtown Austin DOES NOT have a ChargePoint charger in their garage. What they have is a piece of dead equipment with a ChargePoint sticker on it in their garage. I guess most Tesla owners are too smart to stay at Hilton because if they had someone would have noticed that ChargePoint is not currently servicing the station in the Hilton garage.
--> Lesson learned: Stay at a destination charging hotel, like the FOUR SEASONS, the HYATT, or the W HOTEL.

They worked last year, use the CP app to report it as broken. It was where the Billion mile test drives were done in Austin.