TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Australia already has Model S enhanced anti-theft?

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by rohan3au, Nov 26, 2018.

1. rohan3au

rohan3au Member

I just called Tesla Alexandria to enquire about the new Model S enhanced anti-theft package:

Model S Enhanced Anti-theft

Which adds cabin motion detection and tilt/motion sensing if your car were to be towed.

I was told that Australian vehicles, as we're European spec, already have this installed.

Can anyone confirm this? I'm almost certain I've locked the car with my partner in there and her motion has not set the alarm off... Thoughts?

2. Icey

Icey Member

I've locked dogs and cats in my car and neither has set off alarms.

3. paulp

paulp Member

My previous model S, I set the alarm off once by leaving the car windows down in my garage, locking it, then reaching in a bot later to grab my folder from the front seat. Havn’t tried it on the new model S yet.

Tesla are doing a PIN soon to turn off tracking, so anyone silly enough to steal a tesla will no longer be able to turn tracking off, other than presumably by disconnecting the 12V battery

• Informative x 1
  4. rohan3au

rohan3au Member

Confirmed, this afternoon I went and put a window down, locked the car and put the key away from it. I then stuck my entire body inside the car, no alarm, nothing. I then grabbed the car and shook it side-to-side to see if it would trigger the tilt-sensor... nothing...

I've sent an email off to Tesla, I have a feeling theres a mis-communication here and our cars do not in fact have the security package.

5. paulp

paulp Member

Sounds like it used to be installed, and tesla australia arent aware that tesla usa have withdrawn it

6. Tam

Tam Active Member

As @ramonneke 's pictures show:

Enhanced Anti-theft add-on from Tesla

Your Model S' microphone grille (above the rear view mirror) would have 2 left and right depressions for the sensors.

If yours is smooth without any depressions or any visible sensors then you don't have it.

7. paulp

paulp Member

My last model s did not have those dents, and I definately set the alarm off. Distinctly recall getting my key fob to turn it off.

8. raynewman

raynewman Active Member

Mine has an alarm for when a door is opened and the fob isn't there. It has to be enabled via settings though.

9. Tam

Tam Active Member

All Teslas without Enhanced Anti-theft already can alarm when a door is open without properly unlocked.

Enhanced Anti-theft goes further by alarming when

1) motion is detected inside the cabin
    2) the car is moved
    3) the car is tilted.

What not mentioned is what about glass breakage? I guess that would be covered as #1 cabin motion.

10. rohan3au

rohan3au Member

The lovely Ruby at St. Leonards got back to me today, it seems it's not available in Australia and there's no mention if it ever will be:

"This package I’ve not heard a single word about being available in Australia.
    Unfortunately theres a lot of different quirks, features and accessories the US only have access to, or at least have access to first.
    I’ll let you know if it’s ever available here."

Cross fingers! Would love to see it here.