TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Australia Charging FUD

Discussion in 'News' started by Arb1ter, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Arb1ter

Arb1ter Member

https://archive.today/QnHtv (Original URL: No Cookies | Herald Sun)

A few notable points:

• Teslas "cannot be recharged via a normal power point", and they require a $10000 "special charger" with possible $50000 substation upgrades
    • Charging at 40 amps requires more power than a household power supply can provide
    • The power upgrade "may not even be approved"
    • "Only one unique charging station" with no mention of compatibility

I'm speechless.

2. MSEV

MSEV Member

#2 MSEV, Dec 9, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
    Are some things really different in Australia?

3. green1

green1 Active Member

Nope, this just proves that it's the same in Australia as everywhere else. Tesla is changing the game, and the establishment is scared.

4. spentan

spentan Active Member

What a terrible article,

Yeah, if you use the airconditioning, your range will be halved. What a joke.

One thing I don't understand, Australian outlets are 240V and 10A. Why isn't there an adaptor for the UMC that can take advantage of this? Still would be better than the 110v and 12A we get in the USA.

(I moved from Aus to SoCal for my Tesla. Plan not to go back for the near future)

5. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

#5 meloccom, Dec 9, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
    I don't know if Joshua Dowling was at the Tesla Launch last night but there was an awful lot of people there so I don't know where he gets his 50 orders figure from.
    Focusing on the process and potential problems of adding an extra load to your electricity supply seems an odd story line. I doubt anyone has written a similar piece about the perils of installing air conditioning.
    My installation was close to a worst case scenario requiring a new supply including a new meter and about 12 metre cable run and it cost me $3,500.
    Currently Tesla is still having the mobile connector certified for Australian use but will be delivering it in Q1 2015, so currently it's true that you can't charge your Model S from any Australian socket but that will only be for a short time. In the mean time all Model S owners in Australia will receive an HPWC instead. So he is generating FUD from that situation.
    Perhaps Joshua was just looking for any negative piece that would make his advertisers happy. Car dealers are still big buyers of ads in newspapers.

6. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I suppose it's comforting to know that Australia has as many morons in the media as we do:)

7. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

Wow. :scared: If this guy doesn't have an agenda, then he's a complete idiot. He has to have an agenda.

8. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

Not surprisingly, another Rupert Murdoch/News Limited outlet. But this is pretty blatent, even for them.

9. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

For what it is worth, I tweeted him:

The entire premise of his article is plain wrong.

10. SwedishAdvocate

SwedishAdvocate Active Member

#10 SwedishAdvocate, Dec 9, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
    (If someone's wondering: News Limited was renamed News Corp Australia following the listing of the new News Corp on 1 July 2013.)

Wikipedia... So take it for what it's worth...

11. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

The article has been amended to include some clarifications from Tesla. Still, a horrid bit of FUD.