Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Australia] Electricity Bills

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Just wondered if anybody had any advice on dealing with a dispute on our electricity bills? Basically, in the last bill, our anytime usage has jumped up and the controlled usage has gone down by a similar amount. I claim:
  • The any time usage is the combination of /4 and /6 meters. It should only be the /4 meter.
  • The controlled load usage is /7 meter only (off peak water). It should be the /6 and /7 meters.
  • We read all the meters at the time we received the bill (as no meter readouts on the bill) and compared with the previous bill (which does have meter readouts) and found the meter shows 530.1kwh usage and we were billed (anytime) for 808kwh + 12.57kwh estimated for the first day.
  • The average kwh per day figures from the bills also seem to match up with my theory.
  • I didn't get to ask why the first day is listed as estimated. Probably not a big deal anyway.
The retailer (Lumo Engergy) claimed:
  • They have just switched to using the smart meter in the last cycle (Only now???). This also changed the billing cycle (without notice) from quarterly to monthly.
  • They don't get the meter readings, only the usage figures.
  • It is not possible for us to read the meter manually because the numbers are constantly changing. WTF??? Maybe they mean the meter cycles to report different values. It still can be read however.
  • The remote reporting of the meter is working despite the appearance of the antenna not being connected.
  • The figures on the bill should be correct.
Also just to add to the confusion, Ausnet's Home Energy shows 0kwh usage, and has done so for many months - suspect it might be something to do with them resetting the meter values to 0 at around the same time.

I really don't mind if it could be proven that I am wrong, but not able to make any sense of this.

The ended the online chat conversation by saying the computer system was down, and that they could no longer access our details. When I suggested this call wasn't going anywhere anyway, I was advised to call back within office hours.

This might be a problem, because the bill is in my father's name, and I have the questions and work during business hours at different location. So maybe not possible.

Plus I can't help think that maybe this is a problem with the distributor (Ausnet) not the retailer (Lumo).

Any advice where to go from here? As I am getting a Tesla, I want to be sure I am going to get charged correctly.

Maybe another approach would be to change to another retailer, in my name (thinking of Powershop), and watch the figures closely, and then I can take it up with the (hopefully more help retailer) if the figures don't match.

Thanks

Looks like the above Power Shop promotion does have a number of restrictions, e.g. only available to new customers, and cannot be combined with other promotions such as the referral promotion. Mobile 75 - Powershop, a better power company

Deleted, getting confused, that link I referred to is not the referral promotion I thought it was. So still need to try and find out about the referral program, if it is still running, and if so if it can be combined.

Looks like the above Power Shop promotion does have a number of restrictions, e.g. only available to new customers, and cannot be combined with other promotions such as the referral promotion. Mobile 75 - Powershop, a better power company

Deleted, getting confused, that link I referred to is not the referral promotion I thought it was. So still need to try and find out about the referral program, if it is still running, and if so if it can be combined.

Just give them a call and tell them that you had heard about their "electric drive" promotion and are thinking of swapping to them. They will soon tell you if it is still available.

I'm with Powershop- very happy, but have not explored the EV option- I will do so and report back..
PS if you DO want to swap to Powershop, (read the Whirlpool Forums thread) then get me to refer you then I'lI make 75 bucks, which i shall donate to charity.
regards

Just checked Powershop and they are not even close to the rates currently have.

I'm with PowerDirect and the rates per Kwh are (after Pay On Time discount):

Peak 24.948
Off-Peak 13.9832 (Effectively my EV rate)

Powershop (after discount)

Peak 32.3481
Shoulder 25.5772
Off Peak 18.1862
EV (12am to 4am) 9.1238

So overall they would be more expensive for me - I do like the EV rate though.

My distributor is Ausnet but they have different tariffs for different areas they distribute to, so you would need to see what they are offering for your distributor/area.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
The Powershop rates for my area look broadly similar to what I am already paying as I have a smart meter and TOU with Powershop already. I've filled out the form and will see what they say.
Yeah, I checked out the TOU numbers- (9 cents/kWh between MN and 4am...) but can't really compare costs easily.
Maybe they can calculate what my bills WOULD have been on the new tariff?

Just checked Powershop and they are not even close to the rates currently have.
Peak 24.948
Off-Peak 13.9832 (Effectively my EV rate)
[vs]
Peak 32.3481
Shoulder 25.5772
Off Peak 18.1862
EV (12am to 4am) 9.1238
... more expensive for me - .

You have the same problem as me- how much of your consumption is EV and how much is peak?
Other issue is: connection rate / fee? $1.20 per day pn the Powershop EV Tariff seems high so you need to do the maths.