Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australia Expansion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that Tesla a store, service centre and two supercharger locations in NSW as well as a store and soon-to-be service centre and supercharger location in Melbourne, I wonder how long it will be before they establish a presence in other states, or how rapid their progress will be in rolling out supercharger network.

Use this thread to post information, observations, communications and rumours. I'm hoping that Tesla will surprise and delight us all!

Well there is the display stand at Chadstone which will remain for one year until room for a store become available when the current redevelopments/expansions are finishing up in early 2016. I imagine that store will be rather smallish like the north american 'mall' locations but no doubt quite an important one given the location.

My hope is that Sydney-Melbourne will be complete before the middle of 2015 and Sydney-Sunshine Coast by the end of the year. Melbourne-Adelaide by mid 2016. Adelaide to Perth by end 2016. Ambitious but possible. That would be the best outcome for everyone.

My expectation is for the end of 2015 for Melbourne and end of 2016 for Brisbane, as planned. That would be the worst case scenario and, it seems, an unfortunate result of a different mindset for the rollout of the Supercharger Network in Australia compared to the more populated markets in the US, Asia & Europe. Here it seems to be - wait for the customer base, then build the network. Elsewhere, it's been - build it and they'll come. Having said that, even if it takes a whole 2 years to complete the Sydney-Brisbane leg, there'll likely be slower options making the trip possible but certainly not convenient despite having already paid a premium for Supercharger access.

despite having already paid a premium for Supercharger access.

well the premium isn't that much ~$3000 a single supercharger would cost $20k at minimum. all the install works each site would be cost $100k-$200k I’m sure. so 50 cars have to be sold to pay back 1 site. BMW i3 you pay $700-1000 for your combo 1 port and bmw don't even pretend that'll install any DC fast chargers.

so 50 cars have to be sold to pay back 1 site.

Assuming a break even business model...that every SC built equates to a number of cars sold. I think that's a bit self defeating in the Australian market. Why not go out on a relatively inexpensive limb and take an inconsequential financial hit in the first year to build sales momentum, especially for the many prospective customers who would no doubt see these cars as viable inter city transport , but also for the many already in their brand new Model S's ready to travel north...if only the SC's were already there, built & operational.

sorry confused may I misinterpreted you said you paid a premium implying that tesla aren't providing a service you expect for the price, yet your happy to admit they can't possibly make money off it in Australia.

Yes misinterpreted a bit. I haven't paid any premium yet, only the deposit. I'm unlikely to give the go ahead for purchase & delivery until the Sydney-Brisbane SC's are at least in sight.

I'm happy to admit they can't possibly make their money back on the Supercharger network investment alone in the first year, maybe not even the second but definitely the third. We're only talking a several million dollar investment here. In any case, vehicles sales subsidise SC's generally above & beyond the total Supercharger access fee income, and they in turn cross-promote the brand.

Picked up my Model S earlier today. ( Can't believe I just wrote that :biggrin:)
So I asked about potential roll outs and they seem aware of the need to have a presence in Brisbane soon so my guess is that will be the third location. No one was willing to share, or perhaps they didn't know, of any projected dates.
Adelaide and Perth will happen, one day, but none of them could see any need for Superchargers across the Nullabor but a local Supercharger network around Perth may be a possibility, but will depend on demand. So potential Perth owners, now is the time to place an order.

Picked up my Model S earlier today. ( Can't believe I just wrote that :biggrin:)
So I asked about potential roll outs and they seem aware of the need to have a presence in Brisbane soon so my guess is that will be the third location. No one was willing to share, or perhaps they didn't know, of any projected dates.
Adelaide and Perth will happen, one day, but none of them could see any need for Superchargers across the Nullabor but a local Supercharger network around Perth may be a possibility, but will depend on demand. So potential Perth owners, now is the time to place an order.
Congrats mate. Enjoy.

an unfortunate result of a different mindset for the rollout of the Supercharger Network in Australia compared to the more populated markets in the US, Asia & Europe. Here it seems to be - wait for the customer base, then build the network. Elsewhere, it's been - build it and they'll come.

Where the Supercharger Network is going up fast EVs have government financial support. The Model S being the halo vehicle for the entire segment.

In Australia, it seems, at best there is mild government contempt.

In reality, it's not so mild. But they're only here for the short term. Tesla are here to stay. For the relatively minor investment, their assistance really isn't required.

Tesla does not have infinite resources. Biggest investment goes to biggest potential.

Texas, with a population over 26.5M, only has five SpC 2.5 years after the first Texans bought a Model S.

Australia will get Supercharger build out much faster than Texas.