Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australia\NZ Electric Vehicle Charging standards (Ban the J1772?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(EVlink) which allows charging for 2 vehicles via 2 Mennekes outlets (female). I am not sure if this is AC or DC?

Yes that's the "AC charging, Mennekes socket" @meloccom was talking about. It's the standard for AC charging stations in Europe - provide a Mennekes (type 2) socket and then drivers BYO the appropriate lead.

No klutzing around with adapters, and less chance of someone cutting the cable from the station for vandalism or copper theft purposes.

The new Adelaide stations use CCS2.

Unfortunately not :(

Charger Adealide CCS1.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: alexeiw123
Yes that's the "AC charging, Mennekes socket" @meloccom was talking about. It's the standard for AC charging stations in Europe - provide a Mennekes (type 2) socket and then drivers BYO the appropriate lead.

No klutzing around with adapters, and less chance of someone cutting the cable from the station for vandalism or copper theft purposes.
I used one yesterday with a Model X in a car park in Bruges. Very easy.

83CA9435-3AC6-44E5-BBD2-ECE0DB00927C.jpeg

Byron Bay. Is that CCS2?

So the RAC WA EH stations use CCS1.
The new Qld EH stations will use CCS2 (evidence - Cairns site)
The new Adelaide stations use CCS2.
I can confidently say that any stations built in Tas will use CCS2.
NZ uses CCS2.
The Sydney NRMA station uses CCS1 (was this relocated or new hardware?)

Not sure about the others (Canberra, Wollongong, Byron, Gatton, Noosa) although many do have i3's checking in on Plugshare.

It looks like CCS2 is "winning" but BMW needs to make a decision as to whether they will change the ports on the cars over as they have in NZ.

Also is there any decision regarding what will happen in WA? Being mostly segregated it's not urgent but when the first major CCS2 vehicle appears there's going to be a need for a decision one way or the other.

Absolutely right, I’ve charged there many times...it’s CCS2.

I didn't think there were any CCS2 cars in Australia yet (other than the Ioniq demonstrator)

Or did you mean CHAdeMO? (the other cable)

CCS1:

images

CCS2:

CHAdeMO:

chademo-plug.jpg

Edit: knew I had a better photo somewhere but couldn't find it.. Then realised I'd posted it to the first page of this thread :oops:

Below: CCS1, CCS2, something that looks like CHAdeMO but isn't...

ccs-plug-png.199888

Last edited:
There is a yellow sticker that has an icon of the plug on the left side receptacle of each one. Looks like CCS2 to me.

The stickers don't match the plugs in Adelaide or the latest Tritium about to go live in WA either.

Fortunately it looks like the Qld government is getting ready to push for Type 2 & CCS2 to become a national standard.

The scale and imminent roll out of the Queensland Electric Super Highway network presents a unique opportunity to influence future charging standards for Australia.
The installation of EV charging infrastructure throughout Australia should utilise the benefits of three-phase power within the existing electricity network to enable the fastest possible charging times.
The charging stations installed along the Queensland Electric Super Highway network will adopt the European Mennekes Type 2 connector for single and three-phase AC charging, and a dual approach of European Combined Charging System (CCS) Type 2 and Japanese CHAdeMO connectors for fast DC charging.
This has been identified as the best solution to support long distance travel with fast AC and DC charging, utilising three-phase power that is prevalent throughout the state’s electricity grid.
The Queensland Government will start a discussion with other state governments and the Federal government as to how these standards can be mandated for future charging infrastructure across the nation.​

The Future is Electric: Queensland’s Electric Vehicle Strategy 2017 (PDF)

From Electric vehicles | Transport and motoring | Queensland Government