Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australia - Pedestrian Warning System Retrofit.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if, where and how much - for a Pedestrian Warning System/ Boombox retrofit in Australia.
Whilst a PWS is not currently required, a number of the areas in which I frequently drive are combined vehicle- pedestrian locations and I think it both polite and probably very handy, to have such a facility on-board.

• Helpful
Reactions: positiv
Does anyone know if, where and how much - for a Pedestrian Warning System/ Boombox retrofit in Australia.
Whilst a PWS is not currently required, a number of the areas in which I frequently drive are combined vehicle- pedestrian locations and I think it both polite and probably very handy, to have such a facility on-board.
If Tesla agrees then this shows how it is done

Can't be done sorry. You can get a genuine speaker to put in and the wiring harness is there for it. But it requires activation at the software level to enable the Boombox app etc and Tesla don't do that in areas where it is not legally required.
Is the software activation just for Boombox or everything? In other words will a DIY speaker install give you the reversing sound, just no Boombox?

Based on the description, the software activation by Tesla Service should enable Boombox (only available in Park). You can order it now from your Tesla app.

The text seems a bit contradictory… “Warn nearby pedestrians by playing an audible alert when your vehicle is traveling at low speed in Drive or Reverse” but then “Boombox and customizable sounds are only available when the vehicle is in P (Park)”

So can it play sounds at low speeds, or it can only play sounds while in Park? Make up your mind!

If the situation is that at low speeds it will only emit a fixed, pre-programmed Tesla noise, then this could be written much more clearly.

I’d be interested in “Boombox” if it served as a Pedestrian Horn, e.g. short press of the right scroll wheel at low speeds and a customised sound plays through the external speaker. Cowbell would be ideal! Because lots of times in car parks or low-speed shared roads, ambling pedestrians in front of me are completely unaware of my presence, and honking the traffic horn is way too rude and aggressive - a pedestrian horn would be ideal.

You only get the default sounds when you are moving.
UFO in reverse
Slight noise in forward

You cannot use any customised sounds when driving anymore
Can only play with them when you are in Park.
Yes be nice to customise it also turn off sounds at locations or late at night

Reactions: Lachlan Smith
Now you have done this, does it work? What can you now do?
$110 and a bit of work seems an excellent price.

Definitely works. Telsa pushed out the software config and it was pretty much instantaneous. I'm happy with paying $110 for it ($290 was a bit too much).

1705468079811.png

This is a good walkthrough of it's features:

Christmas update brought added functionality in way of custom lock sounds (which wasn't included at time of video).