Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian business owners - will you pay more than A$58K ??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Vehicle depreciation limits in Australia are $57,581
Will you spend more on your Model 3 than this, knowing you will have to pay fringe benefits tax on it?
I will be getting the after sale autonomous features engaged - $16,200 - as at sale this cost would take it over depreciation limits.

It's going to cost more than $57k base in Australia mate. Right now, if you get the US base price and add import tariffs + GST it comes to pretty much exactly $57k... It depends what they hedged at, but I think they will try and bring it in just below LCT, so mid 60s by 2018.

It's going to cost more than $57k base in Australia mate. Right now, if you get the US base price and add import tariffs + GST it comes to pretty much exactly $57k... It depends what they hedged at, but I think they will try and bring it in just below LCT, so mid 60s by 2018.

Agreed. You're living in fantasy land if you think the 3 will land sub $60K.

No import tariffs importing from the US. Price will be $48000aud + $5000 gst + $2000 import costs/ freight + About $3000 on roads which is $58000. It is well possible for the drive away price to be below $60000. It all depends on how much more tesla want to sell the car to Australians and how much dealer delivery if any they charge.

No import tariffs importing from the US. Price will be $48000aud + $5000 gst + $2000 import costs/ freight + About $3000 on roads which is $58000. It is well possible for the drive away price to be below $60000. It all depends on how much more tesla want to sell the car to Australians and how much dealer delivery if any they charge.
You aren't taking into account hedging. Best way is to compare Model S and X prices to US prices after you take away all the tax. Do an average, and you will have a multiplier which at least for now is an accurate summation of what the real cost could be.

You aren't taking into account hedging. Best way is to compare Model S and X prices to US prices after you take away all the tax. Do an average, and you will have a multiplier which at least for now is an accurate summation of what the real cost could be.

I did take hedging into account the $48000 is $500 more and all over costs I quoted are slightly more for example the gst is $4800+ dealer delivery if any and the import/freight/customs/compliance is less than $2000 really it's about $1500 per car. However I know Tesla will most likely sell the car $2000-$5000 more than the US. Like they do with the model s and x. lets all hope for the best and be positive. The cheaper the more options I will purchase and the more cars Tesla will sell. There is not that much benefit if they sell it at a much higher price than the US. In Aus we have no incentives in almost all states so they better be nice and fair to us Aussies.

Last edited:
I did take hedging into account the $48000 is $500 more and all over costs I quoted are slightly more for example the gst is $4800+ dealer delivery if any and the import/freight/customs/compliance is less than $2000 really it's about $1500 per car. However I know Tesla will most likely sell the car $2000-$5000 more than the US. Like they do with the model s and x.
Why don't you do the actual maths instead of guessing?

I did take hedging into account the $48000 is $500 more and all over costs I quoted are slightly more for example the gst is $4800+ dealer delivery if any and the import/freight/customs/compliance is less than $2000 really it's about $1500 per car. However I know Tesla will most likely sell the car $2000-$5000 more than the US. Like they do with the model s and x. lets all hope for the best and be positive. The cheaper the more options I will purchase and the more cars Tesla will sell. There is not that much benefit if they sell it at a much higher price than the US. In Aus we have no incentives in almost all states so they better be nice and fair to us Aussies.

The Model 3 will start at $65,000. Then with AWD added we're talking $70,000. I'm hoping people aren't being falsely pulled in to thinking they will be able to buy this car for $35,000. It's not going to be $35K USD to $35 AUD.

We know exactly where this car is pitched in the market and what it is competeing against. People better budget $65,000 for a base car which they will have to wait months after deliveries start to get. If you want to get an early delivery car you better budget $75,000. Then you're in with a chance to get you car in July 2018. IMHO.

The Model 3 will start at $65,000. Then with AWD added we're talking $70,000. I'm hoping people aren't being falsely pulled in to thinking they will be able to buy this car for $35,000. It's not going to be $35K USD to $35 AUD.

We know exactly where this car is pitched in the market and what it is competeing against. People better budget $65,000 for a base car which they will have to wait months after deliveries start to get. If you want to get an early delivery car you better budget $75,000. Then you're in with a chance to get you car in July 2018. IMHO.
No chance for July 2018. Maybe, just maybe they will start production of RHD in July 2018, but I'm betting that they wont start production of RHD till late 2018 at best, and then they will fill the HK and UK markets before others. I don't think you'll be in a Model 3 till mid 2019 at best in Australia.

Confident it will be cheaper you can pay the more expensive price at the pretend Tesla dealer.

Model S60 costs US$68K & hence $A125K (Victoria)
Base Model 3 is half the price of Model S (US$35K), so looking around $A63K
But there is no luxury car tax, so can take another A$5K off that price to come in at A$58K (A$10K luxury car tax on Model S60)
It would also fall under the luxury stamp duty rates in Victoria, meaning an extra A$1K saving
So the recommended retail drive away price of the base Model 3 will be around A$57K to A$59K in Victoria (and around this price across Australia)

Model S60 costs US$68K & hence $A125K (Victoria)
Base Model 3 is half the price of Model S (US$35K), so looking around $A63K
But there is no luxury car tax, so can take another A$5K off that price to come in at A$58K (A$10K luxury car tax on Model S60)
It would also fall under the luxury stamp duty rates in Victoria, meaning an extra A$1K saving
So the recommended retail drive away price of the base Model 3 will be around A$57K to A$59K in Victoria (and around this price across Australia)

Aren't you taking off the US $7500 incentive on the US price? That throws off your calculations substantially.

No, then the price would be US$60,500
I just think your figures are very rounded throughout and your final figure is not accurate. I do think they will get the base car under LCT, but just. Remember an S60 isn't really likely to drive out of Tesla under $150k with a couple of options thrown in, and shipping costs are a considerably smaller percentage of price on a $150k+ car. Who knows, you could be right, but I reckon the launch prices of a Base Model 3 50, will be $69k. You'll easily get it to $100k with options.