Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Car Show Poster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have mentioned before that if I get my Model S in time, I hope to attend 'Fuchs South Coast Raceway' on the 10th October for street cruise and car display.

Using the US thread for 'Car Show Poster', I have put together in Word a version with 'metric' data.
I intend to print a couple of A3's on a backboard for support and prop it in the 'froot'.

cost to 'refill from home' might interest many people, although that might just be a talking point.

One thing people say to me when I tell them about Tesla's is the environmental impact
is just as bad as an ICE car because we have mostly coal burning elec plants in Aust so is there
some way via graph or such that you can show how much cleaner an electric car is compared to
a car that use fuel extracted from the ground and transported halfway around the world.

One thing people say to me when I tell them about Tesla's is the environmental impact
is just as bad as an ICE car because we have mostly coal burning elec plants in Aust so is there
some way via graph or such that you can show how much cleaner an electric car is compared to
a car that use fuel extracted from the ground and transported halfway around the world.
I also would like to see those figures. I read (somewhere/once) that the amount of electricity used to extract one litre of petrol would drive a Model S further than the litre would drive the gas guzzler.
Can't find the reference nor can I find any info on how much electricity is needed to extract a litre of fuel despite much use of google.

A 100% Brown coal fired Model S is still way ahead of a similar size ICE vehicle when you consider the large amount of energy needed to refine fuel, the transport to a servo in a fossil fuel burning prime mover and thirdly and very often overlooked the fact that a large amount of Australian oil based fuels are transported in bunker fuel burning supertankers that spew out enormous amounts of pollutants, there has been a huge motoring story today about diesel emmissions, maybe the govt should be looking at bunker fuel too.

People who say EV's are just as bad as ICE's probably live in the Latrobe Valley (the location of Australia's most polluting power stations, burning brown coal).
They also probably have not heard of a thing called Solar Panels installed on roof-tops.

Here are a couple of video clips dealing with items raised. Its not quite the same for us as its referring to the UK but there are similarities.
They are 'Fully Charged' videos presented by Robert Llewellyn (Red Dwarf) which are also rather entertaining.

Volts for Oil
Volts for Miles
The 'Volts for Oil' numbers are interesting; basically he is saying that it takes 1 KwH of electricity just for the production of 1 litre to petrol (or 5.4 Tesla km regardless of how you manufacture your electricity).
Once you add in the other costs ($ + fuel + power) of getting that litre of petrol from the ground to the petrol tank, the net distance your litre will take your gas guzzler is probably less than that power would take a Tesla.
THEN you can start to worry about the direct pollution of the burning petrol....

Good on you Brewster!

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I have to say that the "EV runs on coal argument" is my PET PEEVE in my daily work and on top of all that has been said, I think there are a few additional points:

1. Even if you accept the fact that EVs = Petrol cars in terms of emissions (which we all know is FALSE)...so what? This argument only matters when EVs are, on other aspects of owning a vehicle, demonstrably worse than a petrol car. But if the environment is not a factor, EVs are still better to drive, cheaper to own and more convenient to fuel. Many people don't buy the Model S for environmental reasons - so let's just talk about what makes a better car, period.

2. Petrol cars do not run on smiles and happy thoughts. Saying an EV is just as bad for the environment does not make a petrol car better, nor is it really a "criticism" of owning an electric car.

3. EVs get cleaner as the grid gets cleaner, which is an inevitability with the large amount of renewable energy projects that are going up. Nobody denies that the grid will get cleaner, it's just a question of when. WHEREAS petrol will ALWAYS be petrol and will ALWAYS be polluting - so shouldn't we be developing and encouraging technology that can take advantage of a clean, renewable future, rather than continuing down the path of crappy petrol? In many ways, this makes the whole "coal" argument transient and irrelevant in 10 years.

I agree with all these advantages of driving an EV and there are many, another concerns our reliance on foreign Oil. (Oil security for our country.)
We import ~91% (2014) of our oil and much of it originating from the middle east AND we are one of the few counties that have NOT 'legislated' a requirement of 90 days supply.
EV's for transport can be part of the solution.

Oil Security (clip ~ 9 months old) can add ISIS to this report.