Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian EV Home Charger install regulations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone got experience with installing these in the sun? Do they get too hot in summer if you do or is it a non issue?
There's plenty of Gen 2 HPWC installed as Destionation Chargers that are out exposed to all the elements, including the sun - it doesn't seem to be a problem. Gen 3 are a bit newer of course, but I wouldn't expect any difficulties - they're not supposed to get hot if they're operating correctly.

Glad to hear that confirmation. I've been stuffing around my installer a bit following threads and trying to make sure it's right! So much to learn.
Anyone got experience with installing these in the sun? Do they get too hot in summer if you do or is it a non issue? To install it under cover I'd have to put it out the front of the house, which I'd rather not do. But it needs to work in summer, obviously! The problem is I only have a North facing wall if I don't put it out the front.
As cafz said, they are designed to be robust as destination chargers, however australian sun is harsh. Its always a good idea to keep any appliance, especially if its plastic, out of the sun. A small hood might be all that is needed to remove oat of the direct light

Reactions: Vostok
Anyone got experience with installing these in the sun? Do they get too hot in summer if you do or is it a non issue? To install it under cover I'd have to put it out the front of the house, which I'd rather not do. But it needs to work in summer, obviously! The problem is I only have a North facing wall if I don't put it out the front.
Installing any active equipment in the direct sun should be avoided if possible, even if rated for direct exposure to weather. If there’s no alternative, at least try to install some sort of shade structure above it (e.g. awning) to keep it in the shade as much as possible. It will simply last longer.

Electronics don’t like heat (increases the failure rate) and plastics don’t like UV (degrades, discolours and becomes brittle).

• Informative
Reactions: Hungry Mile