Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian EV sales are poor without Tesla and PHEV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The latest report from the EVC of Australia shows electric vehicles having a 3.39% share of the light vehicle market in Q1,2,3 2022, but once the figures are looked at closely Tesla model 3 and Y provide 53.2% of the EV share, take out the PHEVS and Tesla have 64%. In other words 58 different variants of pure EV that don’t have a Tesla badge have a 1.007% market share, and there’s a very strong case for why this is happening-

Of the remaining 1% of market share that were not M3 or MY...how many were MS, MX and other Teslas?
Also what might be interesting in the near future is the arrival of the Cybertruck....Australia, like America, is a pick up truck (ute) nation

Of the remaining 1% of market share that were not M3 or MY...how many were MS, MX and other Teslas?
Also what might be interesting in the near future is the arrival of the Cybertruck....Australia, like America, is a pick up truck (ute) nation
Only Model 3 and Model Y currently being delivered to Australia.
No Model S or X since about 2021. There are a number of new generation Model S and X orders but we don’t have indication of delivery time. New Model S and X deliveries have on,y happened in Nth America and possibly China, most likely Europe will see them before us as we are RHD market.

Reactions: Bouba and moa999
According to the S3XY new Transport for NSW registration dashboard, here is the BEV registration picture for NSW as at 30 September. Unfortunately, we have no idea what is in “Other”.

A6371C36-BEE3-4E4F-8069-FC2155255FEE.jpeg

According to the S3XY new Transport for NSW registration dashboard, here is the BEV registration picture for NSW as at 30 September. Unfortunately, we have no idea what is in “Other”.

View attachment 864365
What a disgrace it is that Honda and Toyota sold no Bevs.
Regarding MG the refreshed ZS EV has been panned as light years away from the vehicle BYD just released. MG4 will be the big hope for MG as it looks to be better quality than the BYD Dolphin it will compete with.

What a disgrace it is that Honda and Toyota sold no Bevs.
Regarding MG the refreshed ZS EV has been panned as light years away from the vehicle BYD just released. MG4 will be the big hope for MG as it looks to be better quality than the BYD Dolphin it will compete with.
A bit of competition in the hatchback segment will be interesting. Look out Corolla, i30 and Cerato

View attachment 864365
Other are possibly just cars Converted to EV Or bad record keeping by RMS. I own a classic car that I brought from Victoria and had to register it in NSW and provided accurate information down to the Make and model. When I got the registration papers, model was coded as “UNK”. I complained and was told I would have to get a new blue slip to change the model identification. #RedTape.

Those numbers would be interesting if you could get any stock of those 58 variants.
And that hits the nail on the head. With brands like Hyundai and Kia drip feeding fewer than 500 cars every quarter to their entire country-worth of dealers, it is pretty obvious that they are using them to bait and switch people into buying ICE vehicles rather than taking the market seriously. For Tesla and BYD, they don't sell anything other than EVs so will bring them in as fast as they can to satisfy the latent demand.