Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Single Phase 32A Charging Possible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I’m looking to buy a Model 3 in Australia and I’m investigating charging options.
I’m in a rental with only single phase power. I have access to a three pin 32A 240V outlet.
Will the Tesla Mobile Charger (UMC) be able to utilise 32A with this?
View media item 119820

Getting enough speed from 32amp single phase is fine, up to 35kms typical range per hour as @EcoCloudIT states, the Hurdle is the supplied UMC will only give you 16amps through one phase, best to get the supplied Tesla HPWC wired in by a sparky giving you the full 32amps if 16amps is not enough.
Keep in mind I still use the original single phase HPWC that Tesla sent out 4 years ago, it's set at 32amps but for most of its life I've charged at 16amps to make use of excess solar, never been a problem, if a quick charge is needed there's plenty of options around Perth and the south-west.

Hi, I’m looking to buy a Model 3 in Australia and I’m investigating charging options.
I’m in a rental with only single phase power. I have access to a three pin 32A 240V outlet.
Will the Tesla Mobile Charger (UMC) be able to utilise 32A with this?
View media item 119820
I am available to demonstrate charging adaptors and cables (and Model S until our Model 3 arrives) every morning at Garden City. Come and have a chat about anything Tesla.

Keep in mind I still use the original single phase HPWC that Tesla sent out 4 years ago, it's set at 32amps but for most of its life I've charged at 16amps to make use of excess solar, ...

Not assuming you are using a Powerwall, but...

Speaking of excess solar, does anyone know if a Powerwall 2 gateway can interact with the car to charge only from excess solar once the Powerwall is full, or in the case above were you manually setting the car to charge when your solar generation was higher than the house load by a significant bit?

PW2 cannot do this, but the car charger can be set to only charge when the house has solar eg Zappi charger. A Perth owner uses a drogue solar panel to switch the Tesla HPWC on and off.
Funny... I was just thinking about this last week. I had solar and PW2 installed and commissioned last month. Been enjoying it for 2 weeks now :).

The PW2 gateway knows when the PW2 is full and solar is being exported to the grid, so there is no reason why Tesla could not write software to turn car charging on in that situation, since of course both are connected to your Tesla account and Tesla can communicate with the car. It would be brilliant. I’d much rather store the excess energy I am generating rather than export it and get a rather insulting 11c/kWh for it.

11c FIT would be brilliant, especially as my off-peak only costs 13.6c/KwH.
We only receive 7.135c/KwH FIT in Perth.
PW2 supplied the whole house demand in summer, but it is now operating in time-based control mode, so only supplies power in non off-peak times. But occasionally it overestimates demand and discharges to grid in the afternoon, costing me 13.6-7.135 = 6c/KwH. First world problem.

Put a 32 amp single phase plug on your HPWC to suit the existing socket (or have a sparky do it if you're not confident, but the instructions are supplied), plug in and charge. No mods required to the rental property. (I'd like a 32A circuit to my HPWC, but the sparky reckoned my lead-in is too long and would only give me 20A)

Yes, however the wall unit does not fair too well being mobile. Some people have reported relay failures. But there is no issue as long as your not carting it around everyday

I have a spare HPWC I use as a portable on long journeys but I'm also aware that other owners have reported failures through less than careful handling, as it's a spare it's worth the risk.