Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How does delaying work? Do you need to pay the order fee again or will they just move your order to the next shipment?
I have a M3 LR on order but would seriously think about delaying to the next shipment if it doesn't come with the Ryzen chip as I can foresee it being a bit sort after on the second hand market in the years to come as the cars infotainment gets gradually slower with updates as most computers/phones do plus I'm pretty impatient with technology being sluggish hence I've always tried to have a late model phone and computer. The extra wait wouldn't bother me as the wait so far hasn't been a problem.
In that case you might as well cancel and wait until q4 or even 2023 because you might miss out on ventilated seats. And so on…. It will never end, Tesla updates every 6 months. It’s always going to be something.

I’ll just take the car now and buy an iPad if it’s that slow….

Thanks for the offer! Fingers crossed he will investigate for me.
No worries.

That said Karlos22 has some good advice. There will always be a better version next quarter, and the Atom chip isn't that slow that it's an issue. If I'm sitting at a charger for an hour, I've easily got 10 secs to spare for Netflix to load. Last quarter I was in your shoes with the "will I get the new 60kwh battery or not", I got lucky but even then I realised that I stressed about it when instead I should have been enjoying the fun experience. I can tell you the last two months have been nothing but joy with this car, and I'm glad that I didn't wait for the next better thing coming down the production line.

Yeah it's one of those things where everyone is different. The computer upgrade would be massive for me, and I have a sneaky suspicion for resale. Probably the biggest single upgrade to the M3 experience it has had in a few years. My experiences with the screen on mate's M3s is that it's like using a 5 year old iPad. Loads all the software eventually and does all the same things but is slow to the touch, especially dragging around the maps and such, and all 3 aren't overly impressed with it.

The other thing that concerns me is how quickly will tesla drop support and upgrades for the old chip. Phone manufacturers are quite quick to drop support for their old phones (apple sort of excluded here) and tesla seems like such a forward looking company especially on the software front that I can't see them putting too much effort into the older cars and backporting features and updates the new chip will support which the old one won't. There is a massive gap between the two. You only have to look at how much effort they put into fixing bugs and ongoing problems (looking at you phantom braking) compared to how much they put in to bring out new "features", software and headline grabbers.

I sort of have to get into my head it's not a car I'm keeping long term though. Due to doing about 30k kms a year and actually a fair bit more this last 12 months, I don't really hang onto cars for much longer than 2 or so years or the kms start to really hurt resale badly. My current car for work is just shy of 2.5 years old hence the tesla order.

I'll keep my fingers crossed and see what happens. Having ordered at the start of December it looks like I'll be in one of the last batches of cars to arrive in Q1 so will get to see what others are getting before mine arrives and make the decision then.

Reactions: sdca
Maybe I am fretting over nothing, If it doesn't affect the overall usability of the car... I am inpatient with screens though. 😁
Given the lack of availability and very high resale of the M3 you wouldn't take a huge hit if you got this one for now and it had the Atom and traded up to a newer model with the Ryzen and perhaps even more new features 6 months down the track.

Full disclosure: I am also waiting for an ordered car, and would also really like the Ryzen as performance in streaming apps was one of the few negatives I listed in an extended rental, so I am trying to convince myself also just in case most are still delivered with Intel ;)
Also the car is still slick as for the most part in everything but streaming/browsing, fastest Navigation/general menus experience around even with the Intel Atom that I have seen.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d much prefer the Ryzen if that is an option, but why delay the car over it? Netflix or beach buggy load times? When I rented a m3 for the day it was obviously an atom and it was smooth as butter on maps etc. the poster above saying maps is slow, I certainly did not experience that myself. I didn’t even know it had an atom cpu at the time and would have been shocked if someone told me.

As for resale, I can tell you that 99% of buyers would have flap all idea what a ryzen cpu is, in fact most people don’t even know what an electric car is or how to drive one.

The ongoing support issue from Tesla is a valid question and my biggest concern, but I doubt they will dump 3 million odd vehicles already equipped with this chip. You probably won’t get the fancy new games but honestly I couldn’t care less. It’s a car, not a PlayStation.

Order 10th of November; been told that 8-12 weeks is unlikely and just meant as an estimate and the window could be up to two months longer depending on shipments, supply chain issues etc. SA was relatively confident they'd have the car (SR Model 3, no extras) by end of March or early April.

I have a M3 LR on order but would seriously think about delaying to the next shipment if it doesn't come with the Ryzen chip as I can foresee it being a bit sort after on the second hand market in the years to come as the cars infotainment gets gradually slower with updates as most computers/phones do plus I'm pretty impatient with technology being sluggish hence I've always tried to have a late model phone and computer.

That makes no sense to me whatsoever. There will always be something else new in cars made after the one you buy, so using your logic, you should wait forever so that you don’t miss out on the new thing that you don’t know about yet 🤷‍♂️

Resale value? Buyers will care about the CPU in the car? Yeah, nah.

The mere fact of flipping a car within 2-3 years is the biggest financial hit. That alone will cost you tens of thousands. The CPU in the car? Won’t move the needle in comparison to that. Most potential buyers won’t even know or care. The condition of the body and the battery would be the two main things a buyer would assess.

I’ve never noticed any issues with the screen/CPU in my car. Then again, I don’t spend any time in the car playing games or watching Netflix.

Reactions: karlos22 and Chuq
Don’t get me wrong, I’d much prefer the Ryzen if that is an option, but why delay the car over it? Netflix or beach buggy load times? When I rented a m3 for the day it was obviously an atom and it was smooth as butter on maps etc. the poster above saying maps is slow, I certainly did not experience that myself. I didn’t even know it had an atom cpu at the time and would have been shocked if someone told me.

As for resale, I can tell you that 99% of buyers would have flap all idea what a ryzen cpu is, in fact most people don’t even know what an electric car is or how to drive one.

The ongoing support issue from Tesla is a valid question and my biggest concern, but I doubt they will dump 3 million odd vehicles already equipped with this chip. You probably won’t get the fancy new games but honestly I couldn’t care less. It’s a car, not a PlayStation.

I would say for those who aren't sure, it's still worth noting that there will be many software updates and features added to the car after you buy and given the user experience is built to run on that hardware. The importance of upgrade will no doubt vary from person to person, but it's worth considering this point before you accept delivery.

And regarding the point on support, I also think you are right to hold concern there. While I agree and don't think Telsa will drop support for the older models any time soon, I work within the tech sector (as I'm sure many of us do) and personally I'll go out on a limb and say that it's pretty much inevitable that ALL models will lose support as newer models are ushered in, eventually they will announce EOS for the atom. Even the Ryzen will lose support at some stage, but having the Ryzen upgrade will likely ensure your car remains within the support window for software updates longer.

Ryzen isn't a deal breaker for everyone, especially if you don't plan to own the car for more than a few years or aren't overly fussed on having bleeding edge hardware, but for many others the uplift in performance is significant plus the likelihood of longer support for Ryzen based cars makes it a worthwhile consideration on a 60k+ investment imho.

Reactions: sdca
I would say for those who aren't sure, it's still worth noting that there will be many software updates and features added to the car after you buy and given the user experience is built to run on that hardware. The importance of upgrade will no doubt vary from person to person, but it's worth considering this point before you accept delivery.

And regarding the point on support, I also think you are right to hold concern there. While I agree and don't think Telsa will drop support for the older models any time soon, I work within the tech sector (as I'm sure many of us do) and personally I'll go out on a limb and say that it's pretty much inevitable that ALL models will lose support as newer models are ushered in, eventually they will announce EOS for the atom. Even the Ryzen will lose support at some stage, but having the Ryzen upgrade will likely ensure your car remains within the support window for software updates longer.

Ryzen isn't a deal breaker for everyone, especially if you don't plan to own the car for more than a few years or aren't overly fussed on having bleeding edge hardware, but for many others the uplift in performance is significant plus the likelihood of longer support for Ryzen based cars makes it a worthwhile consideration on a 60k+ investment imho.
This is my general thought process too.

Reactions: Kevsaccount
Just spoke with my SA, M3P ordered at Alexandria on 22/11 then change colour 2/12 will not make it this qtr as HQ not supplying as many cars as was originally told.

In regards to the MCU it will not always be important to everyone, but when it matters to an individual it’s important. There isn’t a single other upgrade I care about except the MCU, It’s personal preference and when you are talking about it is definitely arriving in some cars at the same time you are picking it up you can’t tell me any of you wouldn’t want the one with the newer MCU :)

If the MCU is that important to you, then by all means. Of course, I want it too. Will I cancel? No.

If you do, prices may rise and you could be waiting well until the end of q2 if not later. If you want to be guaranteed of the ryzen, you should only order to take delivery in q3.

I’d rather have the car now and enjoy it for 6 months. To each their own. It’s still a Tesla and it’s still electric :)

If the MCU is that important to you, then by all means. Of course, I want it too. Will I cancel? No.

If you do, prices may rise and you could be waiting well until the end of q2 if not later. If you want to be guaranteed of the ryzen, you should only order to take delivery in q3.

I’d rather have the car now and enjoy it for 6 months. To each their own. It’s still a Tesla and it’s still electric

Well Tesla made it easy decision for me by delaying my delivery. We will all know state of play shortly as everyone’s deliveries start to happen. Enjoy!

We will all know state of play shortly as everyone’s deliveries start to happen.
Those in the US are compiling a bit of data on deliveries and the result isn't very clear at all!

Those in the US are compiling a bit of data on deliveries and the result isn't very clear at all!

True, but these cars are not made in Shanghai, and most of the cars on this list would have been made in 2021...

I am not sure how transferable this is to this current cohort of waiters whose cars are going to be made in Shanghai, and almost certainly made in 2022.

Reactions: Kevsaccount