Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To be clear, my post was not entirely directed to you, it was just your comment that it is “the first setting” one should change that prompted me to comment.

You are certainly not the only poster I have seen that insists that the percentage view is somehow superior.

I’m not trying to argue a point. I am genuinely confused as to how it’s better? Or why having km remaining wouldn’t be far more useful?

Certainly didn’t mean to upset anyone.
I’m with you. I also saw multiple people suggesting to change from kms to percents and I don’t quite get why. And those posts don’t tell you the reasons for such a setting. I guess I’ll have to find out by myself after the delivery, next Wednesday!

Recieved final invoice today, delivery date is still 9-March to 23-March.

Build date listed as 8-Feb.

Do we may make the final payment ot wait for more comms from Tesla?

Order date :18-Dec
TM3 RWD white, black, standard wheels

We have both order the same car RWD on the same date 18/12, I also received my final invoice from Tesla, forward it to my broker, Tesla will SMS you 1-2 week advance to confirm delivery date, you can then transfer the amount to their Citibank account.

jeez, the charging setup could drive me crazy
just dealing with electricians and suppliers about 3-phase upgrade + wall connector is hard enough
now I'm reading in this thread above, some posts about extra things I will need
is this likely to meet my needs - if not, what else?
and is it good value?
Talk about charging setup drive you crazy, spare a thought for us living in a apartment building, I have been quoted $6000 to install a 7.5kw Delta Ac mini charger, plus possible 40 cents per kwh, I think I will just supercharging for next 3 year.

Reactions: Benzz and Cmoney991
I’m with you. I also saw multiple people suggesting to change from kms to percents and I don’t quite get why. And those posts don’t tell you the reasons for such a setting. I guess I’ll have to find out by myself after the delivery, next Wednesday!
I think the point is that the km calculation will recalculate quite a bit dependent on driving situation including whether you’ve just punched it/weather/temperature/air pressure/point above sea-level/resistance/how you’ve got your left leg bent and however many other variables, where the percentage is the remaining battery, and is a more stable judgement.

Once the battery % gets to a point then you can look at charging paths when required with your own judgement. As with an ICE, the km left to empty isn’t exact. If the battery(fuel) runs out, it’s out and you’re stranded.

jeez, the charging setup could drive me crazy
just dealing with electricians and suppliers about 3-phase upgrade + wall connector is hard enough
now I'm reading in this thread above, some posts about extra things I will need
is this likely to meet my needs - if not, what else?
and is it good value?
This is likely overkill. I've had a Model 3 for a bit over 2 years and in that time have found exactly one situation where the Type 1 cable would have been beneficial. Type 1 chargers aren't common and they're not getting any more common either. The only reason to get one would be if there is a specific public Type 1 ("J1772") charger nearby that you would expect to use very frequently.

I do have a Type 2 cable and have used it, but not frequently and never so far for essential charging (if you divide the cost by the number of kWh I've put through the cable, it would be very expensive charging indeed!). This is a more useful option than the Type 1 cable but again the usefulness depends on where you're likely to charge. If you are planning to drive long distances in Queensland using the QESH chargers, that would be a good reason to get one of these, because those sites all have an uncabled Type 2 ("Mennekes") charger as a backup option in case the fast charger is unserviceable.

I'd wait until you have some lived experience driving and charging the car before you fork out for one or both of these.

Reactions: schnaxxl and moa999
Talk about charging setup drive you crazy, spare a thought for us living in a apartment building, I have been quoted $6000 to install a 7.5kw Delta Ac mini charger, plus possible 40 cents per kwh, I think I will just supercharging for next 3 year.
Yeah that $6000 is almost 12MWh at current Supercharger rates, enough to drive 80,000 km or so.

Convenience of charging at home is worth a bit, but is it $6000 worth of convenience?

I’m not trying to argue a point. I am genuinely confused as to how it’s better? Or why having km remaining wouldn’t be far more useful?
It's because the "km remaining" view is just the estimated energy remaining multiplied by a fixed conversion factor - it does not take into account things like terrain, driving style, weather etc. Those additional factors matter a lot, and as such it only bares a passing correlation with the actual distance driveable.

The % view cuts out that conversion factor middle-man and gives you something more like a traditional fuel gauge, just with more precision than "empty, ¼, ½, ¾, full".

The "Energy" screen, in comparison, shows an estimated range remaining based on energy used over the previous 10 / 25 / 50 km, and the navigation uses the last 50km consumption together with terrain to give a decent estimate on how much you'll use for a planned journey (and it updates as you drive).

It’s similar to using your iPhone or Androids, battery will show as a percentage left but not mins or hours left. Usable time depends on how you use the phone. Km remaining can be misleading, as driving style, air con, terrain etc can influence the estimated distance.

In most modern ICE cars, trip computers would show estimated distance left as well, but most people would judge when to fuel the car mostly from the fuel gauge still, it’s more real of what you have left in the tank.

Reactions: 3RWD and DrewBytes
Body corporate would absorb the cost?

Would that be metered just for you?
How would you prevent other people from using it?

At 7.5kw, isn’t it worth just using or installing a normal wall plug and the UMC? Or am I missing something?

To anyone who wants to move dates on pick up, it's next to impossible for that to occur.

I got the sms on the 22nd to arrange pick up for either the 3rd or the 4th, I was going to be away during that time so called my SA as soon as I got the sms. Thinking it wouldn't be too difficult given I return on the 7th, could only get it moved earlier to the 2nd which didn't work. Asked for advice here and got a good bit of help, called the head office and they even indicated the 7th pick up might be available. But after they spoke to the SA again and with their manager apparently the best they could do was Saturday.

Here's the confusing part, they made a big deal saying allowing me to pick up on Saturday was a big favour because Tesla only take deliveries on Monday and Friday and there won't be many staff here on Saturday... which just logically suggest allowing me to pick up on the Monday which would be the 7th would have actually worked out...

I get it, most people haven't had issues because you haven't had to deal with any hiccups, but it seems those of us who've had to try and solve a problem with Tesla just run into more problems. I'm genuinely hoping by the time my car has any issues there are 3rd parties I can deal with as opposed to Tesla.

Reactions: RedSky1
When you get your car the first setting change you should do is to change the battery charge from kms to percentage mode. It makes managing the battery charge simpler and reduces the mental load related to range.
Agree. After owning M3 for 2 years I've never relied on distance till empty. Rather %is my guide. If I do a long trip I note how many % I used to get there so I know roughly how many to get home. Likewise planning a trip I can roughly work out how many kWh ill use and quick conversion I work out how much % ill need. Km guestimator doesn't take into account weight/wind/temperature... throw in towing!!! I stick to % as I can predict my trip easily... my opinion hope it helps others...

Agree. After owning M3 for 2 years I've never relied on distance till empty. Rather %is my guide. If I do a long trip I note how many % I used to get there so I know roughly how many to get home. Likewise planning a trip I can roughly work out how many kWh ill use and quick conversion I work out how much % ill need. Km guestimator doesn't take into account weight/wind/temperature... throw in towing!!! I stick to % as I can predict my trip easily... my opinion hope it helps others...
That does make sense but I also see what other people are talking about. This approach is essentially the same as looking at your ICE fuel gauge and basing travel on that that instead of the predicated KMs as has been mentioned before, I just wonder why it seems now to be the preferred method when it wasn't with ICE cars.

To anyone who wants to move dates on pick up, it's next to impossible for that to occur.

I got the sms on the 22nd to arrange pick up for either the 3rd or the 4th, I was going to be away during that time so called my SA as soon as I got the sms. Thinking it wouldn't be too difficult given I return on the 7th, could only get it moved earlier to the 2nd which didn't work. Asked for advice here and got a good bit of help, called the head office and they even indicated the 7th pick up might be available. But after they spoke to the SA again and with their manager apparently the best they could do was Saturday.

Here's the confusing part, they made a big deal saying allowing me to pick up on Saturday was a big favour because Tesla only take deliveries on Monday and Friday and there won't be many staff here on Saturday... which just logically suggest allowing me to pick up on the Monday which would be the 7th would have actually worked out...

I get it, most people haven't had issues because you haven't had to deal with any hiccups, but it seems those of us who've had to try and solve a problem with Tesla just run into more problems. I'm genuinely hoping by the time my car has any issues there are 3rd parties I can deal with as opposed to Tesla.
This sucks, so what happens now?

That does make sense but I also see what other people are talking about. This approach is essentially the same as looking at your ICE fuel gauge and basing travel on that that instead of the predicated KMs as has been mentioned before, I just wonder why it seems now to be the preferred method when it wasn't with ICE cars.
If Tesla really calculates KM's based on some fixed variable, then % would make more sense.

The fixed variable on the gauge in an ICE just references how full the tank is.

I assume that's the key difference here with percentage vs kms?

they gave me the first date option as 'Saturday' only but i had some pre-booked plans, therefore, I booked for the next date which is Monday. So, delivery on a Saturday is really not a favour from tesla.

it leaves open the door for a potential paid acceleration boost for the 2022 RWD. As we know the car drive electronics can handle the power and car is physically capable of being safe with 5.6s/100kph acceleration. Brilliant move by Tesla if so, acceleration boost is almost pure profit and many would do it.
I doubt it. The 2022 M3 RWD had brought the below 2 major benefits to the owners (according to many FB & forum posts):
  • Cheaper insurance premium
  • Can be driven by P-platers (at least in NSW)
So the 0.5 sec performance reduction had moved the M3 RWD just out of the "performance car" category (0-100 under 6 secs), used by both insurance companies & Service NSW to calculate car accident risks. Any performance boost option offered by Tesla will simply remove the above benefits, as insurance companies & NSW police wouldn't be able to reliably detect whether an M3 RWD has the boost option turned on.

I doubt it. The 2022 M3 RWD had brought the below 2 major benefits to the owners (according to many FB & forum posts):
  • Cheaper insurance premium
  • Can be driven by P-platers (at least in NSW)
So the 0.5 sec performance reduction had moved the M3 RWD just out of the "performance car" category (0-100 under 6 secs), used by both insurance companies & Service NSW to calculate car accident risks. Any performance boost option offered by Tesla will simply remove the above benefits, as insurance companies & NSW police wouldn't be able to reliably detect whether an M3 RWD has the boost option turned on.
Hi Billy,
Have you seen anywhere - beyond forums - that this is now a legal P-Plater (NSW) car? I was of the impression it was power:weight ratio and still out of spec.

Mind you - there is no chance in hell that I'm letting my P-Plater drive it; muwhahahahaha......although it could be useful if she was to drive me home from the pub if it really came to it!

Reactions: Benzz
Have you seen anywhere - beyond forums - that this is now a legal P-Plater (NSW) car
This is from the Transport NSW website:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220228-130353.png
    Screenshot_20220228-130353.png
    404.8 KB · Views: 84
  • Informative
Reactions: Lyth
Body corporate would absorb the cost?

Would that be metered just for you?
How would you prevent other people from using it?

At 7.5kw, isn’t it worth just using or installing a normal wall plug and the UMC? Or am I missing something?
It’s building management sub contract installation to Delta , they will provide a swipe card for the charger, at these stage not sure what price for the ongoing charge fee, possible 40 cents per kwh
5683FF5B-41BA-492E-BFC1-3C5D460C8E12.jpeg