Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's not an ideal situation to be in. Do we know if other LR/P orders from that period were fulfilled? As in... Were all LR/P orders delayed at that time or just some of them? I am wondering if it was a production issue or an incident on the shipping end.
Virtually no LR/P orders from late Nov or Dec have been delivered. We were told in mid-Dec that by a number of SAs that (they were told) that all orders up until a cutoff of about ~23/12 would be delivered in Q1. To my knowledge all RWDs orders before the cutoff were fulfilled, but the LR/P orders were simply either not made, or allocated to Aus after production. We don't know exactly what happened. Stories have ranged from 'they just didn't make enough', to 'someone switched off the production tap too early in error', to parts availability. Whatever happened from my communication with my Tesla dealers, it was implied that Au/NZ fully expected to get these cars and then last minute it didn't happen. I don't think it was a shipping issue.

Reactions: DrewBytes
Virtually no LR/P orders from late Nov or Dec have been delivered. We were told in mid-Dec that by a number of SAs that (they were told) that all orders up until a cutoff of about ~23/12 would be delivered in Q1. To my knowledge all RWDs orders before the cutoff were fulfilled, but the LR/P orders were simply either not made, or allocated to Aus after production. We don't know exactly what happened. Stories have ranged from 'they just didn't make enough', to 'someone switched off the production tap too early in error', to parts availability. Whatever happened from my communication with my Tesla dealers, it was implied that Au/NZ fully expected to get these cars and then last minute it didn't happen. I don't think it was a shipping issue.
Tesla's production run is based on a forecast, not to order. Based on the data that a member collated using a spreadsheet in this thread there was a far higher percentage of LR/P orders made from December onward than is usually the case resulting in Tesla being short of LR/P cars in the January build run.

If you scroll back through this thread back to mid January you'll see that some owners had LR/P cars allocated / delivered in the Q1 cycle.

No there were definitely LR/Ps made, shipped and delivered in Q1, just a disproportionate number to RWD. Indeed may well be for planning reasons as noted by Maximillan.
id say location plays a part somewhat.
I know a guy who just picked up his LR in Perth. Ordered 17/12. Picked up 12/04. Would have got it much earlier but 4 didn’t make the transfer ship. He was 1 of 4.
This guys was a Jan 9th build. so they defiantly did make some, just not enough.

I'm going to make a wild guess here, could it be that LFP Tesla's are quicker to produce since CATL supplies them in China, while NCA Tesla's like LR/P are harder to source as compared to USA? Further so since the recent Russian sanctions for nickel.
Nah. Tesla organised a bunch of direct contracts last year and early this year with non-Russian suppliers. Prior to sanctions. Russia only produces 11% of global nickel. Plus i just watched a Youtube vid saying ships full of LRs just left Shanghai for Europe.

Tesla's production run is based on a forecast, not to order. Based on the data that a member collated using a spreadsheet in this thread there was a far higher percentage of LR/P orders made from December onward than is usually the case resulting in Tesla being short of LR/P cars in the January build run.

If you scroll back through this thread back to mid January you'll see that some owners had LR/P cars allocated / delivered in the Q1 cycle

You don't know that. Just pure speculation like others putting their own ideas forward. The spreadsheet made on here was basically useless data. There is a tiny percentage of buyers that frequent this forum.

I'm in a similar boat to a previous poster having ordered a LR at the start of December, sold my day to day car in February after getting multiple assurances from both my SA, the Tesla lease manager and my own lease assistant in January that the car was on track to be delivered inside the still showing 8-12 week window and not to worry, after I was concerned with what I was reading in this thread and others. Still waiting. Even have it in writing from Tesla before I ordered that the car would be delivered well before 12 weeks if I ordered that week. I'm lucky enough to have multiple vehicles but am driving a 4wd built for offroad touring daily now which it isn't liking too much.

I've talked so many people out of purchasing a Tesla until they sort out the purchasing and customer service part of the business. You'll never know when your car will turn up, and neither do anyone in the Australian arm of the company or the app/website. I feel for the people now sitting on 6-9 month waits. Hopefully your wait doesn't blow out a similar percentage to my 8-12 week wait to 6 months. Hopefully your wait isn't 12 months or more.

I originally ordered making sure it would get delivered when it did as currently am driving 250kms a day for work and the EV made financial sense. That ends in a few months time and back to doing 40kms a day. Tesla EV ownership doesn't really stack up yet for me with those sort of kms. I'd rather something a bit more fun and engaging if running costs aren't really an issue, which they really aren't at those sort of kms. Lots of choice in that 80k bracket, especially if looking near new second hand.

I'm also interested t in the experiences of people with longer trips. I'm in CQ, and plan regular trips to Canberra and Sydney, so charging challenges are my interest area atm.
The coastal route to Sydney (and the Hume onwards to Canberra) is amply supplied with fast charging sites, that isn't a problem.

The New England route is fine - you pick up the Supercharger network at Tamworth and from there can go inland to Canberra or down the Hunter to Sydney. Between Tamworth and the border it's NRMA 50kW country - single charger sites but spaced such that you can skip one if you need to. North of the border there's a UQ charger at Warwick and QESH stage three is supposed to be delivered by Q3, opening up the routes into central Queensland.

The Newell route is a no go currently, unless you want to stop overnight - the NRMA network currently finishes at Coonabarabran / Gunnedah.

This guys was a Jan 9th build. so they defiantly did make some, just not enough.
Yeah if you go to the first page of this thread, many of those LRs ordered in Nov/Dec were delivered in Feb/March. Just before the Shanghai lockdown. Earlier deliveries seemed to get order cancellations which are probably shopfront specific. Also consider we had massive flooding messing with freight around Feb/March which probably saw cars redirected to where they could actually get to so Tesla got the sales stats. Some cars may even have been victim to floods (would explain the phantom trucks spotted carrying Teslas about the place at the moment).

So it all makes sense to me. 2021 crew would probably have been on the next shipment i reckon if it weren't for the lockdown which was a week or so after those deliveries. Which, lets face it, were late Q4 orders bumped to Q1 (annoying but understandable), and Q1 turned out to be a monumental shitstorm lasting into Q2 - which we are only 24 days into.

Tl;dr: We know why there are delays. It's obvious.

I am hoping they pump out a big batch of RHD LR/P to cover the delays and i sneak into those with my Jan order. *ducks*

Last edited:
The coastal route to Sydney (and the Hume onwards to Canberra) is amply supplied with fast charging sites, that isn't a problem.

The New England route is fine - you pick up the Supercharger network at Tamworth and from there can go inland to Canberra or down the Hunter to Sydney. Between Tamworth and the border it's NRMA 50kW country - single charger sites but spaced such that you can skip one if you need to. North of the border there's a UQ charger at Warwick and QESH stage three is supposed to be delivered by Q3, opening up the routes into central Queensland.

The Newell route is a no go currently, unless you want to stop overnight - the NRMA network currently finishes at Coonabarabran / Gunnedah.

To add to this bit, last week tesla Chatswood lent me a RWD for an overnight test. I drove from Chatswood to Canberra and it was fine.

Went from Sydney to Goulburn 94% to 38%. Stopped at the supercharger for 5-6mins for a pee. From Goulburn to Canberra was 55% to 28%.

Drove around Canberra for a good while before it was below 10%. Charged at the supercharger next to Macca's for 35mins (I didn't even feel it, I was happily eating). Went back to 80%. Drove back the same way I came with Goulburn as the stop for 5mins and back to North Sydney at around 25%.

Also I say drove, but really it was autopilot. Amazing little feature. Especially in congested traffic.

Reactions: Adelaide3 and cafz
That's not an ideal situation to be in. Do we know if other LR/P orders from that period were fulfilled? As in... Were all LR/P orders delayed at that time or just some of them? I am wondering if it was a production issue or an incident on the shipping end.
From what information I have been able to find out, it is a forecasting issue as allot more orders are being placed for the LR & P. I guess it's a good problem to have if you are Tesla.

Reactions: Hoopyfrood

Thanks cafs. I've traveled the Newell for a number of years, and need a change of scenery, but the extra distance still requires an overnight stop. I know there is a charger at G'windi [cant recall right now who's got it tho] which gives good access to the NSW sites. but first i need to get through Miles, QLD.

6DCDF061-FE2E-47B9-8295-B0F1029DF4CE.jpeg

Someone asked to see the 100% range for an LR. 570km on mine.

Reactions: Vostok
Thanks cafs. I've traveled the Newell for a number of years, and need a change of scenery, but the extra distance still requires an overnight stop. I know there is a charger at G'windi [cant recall right now who's got it tho] which gives good access to the NSW sites. but first i need to get through Miles, QLD.
Roma, Miles, Goondiwindi and Stanthorpe are all part of QESH Stage 3. Hopefully that's still on track for later this year.

Reactions: johnchidgey