Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, my app just updated again to June 8 - June 22. As I was about to post, I received a call from Tesla.
Car is in Sydney going through unpacking process. Should be here next week. He will call again on Tuesday, and expects pickup on Thursday or Friday next week.
Finally…
Good to hear that there are at least some cars in Sydney. My EDD still shows June 6 - June 20, but I haven't heard anything further and I haven't been able to get my SA to return my calls for about a week (she has previously been pretty good). I completed transferring the funds today to Tesla so I am all paid up. I would just like them to tell me the current status, I realise it takes time to transport and prepare vehicles, I haven't even been able to get them to confirm that my VIN was actually on Turandot. Such is life I guess, soon all this will be but a memory for us with 2021 orders.

Reactions: PcS000
Good to hear that there are at least some cars in Sydney. My EDD still shows June 6 - June 20, but I haven't heard anything further and I haven't been able to get my SA to return my calls for about a week (she has previously been pretty good). I completed transferring the funds today to Tesla so I am all paid up. I would just like them to tell me the current status, I realise it takes time to transport and prepare vehicles, I haven't even been able to get them to confirm that my VIN was actually on Turandot. Such is life I guess, soon all this will be but a memory for us with 2021 orders.
Are you in Brisbane? The call I got wasn’t from my SA, but from someone at the delivery centre at Hendra

So to help pass the time, what are people's reasons for buying a Tesla? And what's your least favourite aspect of them (other than the wait time)?

For me, have dreamed of an electric car for years. Guess it's the "the future will be electric cars" ideology that I grew up with. Had a bit of a financial windfall, and here in Canberra the incentives made it an easy choice.

I don't look forward to driving at night. The lack of light up instrumentation behind the steering wheel, no buttons with backlights, etc. "Ryan's Model 3" on Youtube and TikTok shows a bit what this is like, and it looks spooky. Reminds me too much of a crash when I was younger I had on a country road at night when a fuse blew and I lost all lighting in my car - headlights, internal, just sudden pitch black on a 100km/hs road.
I had a passing interest in Tesla's but what prompted me initially to go and drive one last November was a water leak in my 2017 BMW 330iGT. $1800 to fix, $500 for the part and the rest labour to dismantle half the engine to get to the water cooled oil cooler under the oil filter at the back of the engine (and according to the forums it is a known problem). So I decided I am over internal combustion engines with their oil and water and turbo's and sensors and cam belts etc etc etc. Then I drove the Long Range and I was sold in 10 minutes, faster than anything I would consider buying at half the price. Yes, not quite up to the BMW in fit and finish and refinement, but close enough I think (as best you can tell in a 30 minute drive).

So my reasons don't have anything to do with saving the planet, or saving money on fuel or maintenance, it is about the drive. Here are the main things I am looking forward to when I get my car:

1/. The instant "throttle" response. When turning a suburban corner and accelerating, no more having the car "let me think about what gear I want to select, then select it, then get the turbos spooling up and now off we go"

2/. The fast acceleration ( in the past I have had a Mercedes C32 AMG, Audi S4 but nothing like the acceleration of the Tesla.

3/. Very little (perhaps nearly zero) brake dust on the wheels. I hate cleaning wheels

4/. Almost no maintenance for a couple of years and then it seems it will be comparatively negligible.

5/. Having put $108 of petrol in the BMW and worked out (if I did it correctly) that it would have cost about $12 charging at home, yes, I am now looking forward to the "fuel savings".

6/. And lastly, after spending all my working life (now retired) in a technical career related to electronics and computing, I am very attracted to that part of the Tesla.

For me, I'm also sick of ICE cars and I want out for the reasons others have stated, but also for the environmental reasons. I've done a lot of the prep work for our house setup to have the EV charged by solar most of the time, so avoiding fossil fuels will be great. Our carbon footprint for our house and transport will reduce greatly. In normal conditions, I'm expecting my charging costs to be near zero, except when doing multi-day trips from home.

I also recently had the opportunity to rent a Tesla M3 LR for a week while in California. In fact it was exactly like what I ordered, just with the steering wheel on the wrong side. :) For that week, I had as much range anxiety as I would have had with an ICE vehicle (which is mostly due to location unfamiliarity) - actually probably less, because the navigation and charging were more "natural" in the EV. I fell in love with one pedal driving. I really liked the minimalist setup in general in the front, and quickly got over not having a centre display. I'm looking forward to getting mine so I can try things out properly - there were limits on the rental setup.

For that week, I drove about 2200 km, and used Superchargers almost exclusively. It cost about $AUD200 for that, but I worked out that I probably would have spent at least $AUD500+ in an equivalent ICE vehicle.

Reactions: Hoopyfrood
I wanted to be the first adopter of an EV in the family and start the conversation for others to consider an EV for their next vehicle. The fbt exemption has been extremely beneficial as I know the major barrier to entry for many was cost. Now it can make a lot of economical sense to pick up an EV under the new scheme (assuming it gets passed into law). Very exciting times ahead!

I don't look forward to driving at night. The lack of light up instrumentation behind the steering wheel, no buttons with backlights, etc. "Ryan's Model 3" on Youtube and TikTok shows a bit what this is like, and it looks spooky. Reminds me too much of a crash when I was younger I had on a country road at night when a fuse blew and I lost all lighting in my car - headlights, internal, just sudden pitch black on a 100km/hs road.
Until I read your post I'd never noticed this to be an issue. There are only two scroll wheels on the steering wheel and they're easy to find without looking. It doesn't take long to memorise what they do along with column stalks either side (even less if you're coming from a Mercedes-Benz with the same column stalk set up).

Regarding driving on country roads, I've never had a car with better headlights from the factory. They're brilliant.

After owning BMWs for the last 35 years, some of them ///M, but all of them fast, I was looking for something more “interesting”. (Read “faster”). I borrowed a Model S from Tesla for a weekend in 2017 and was so inspired that I vowed my next car would be a Tesla.
That didn’t quite work out and I ended up with another BMW. as the lease matured in April this year, I started looking for a replacement and worked out I could get a new Model 3 Performance for less money overall than a 4 year old BMW M2.
So essentially, I bought the fastest car I could… the fact that it’s an EV, costs little for maintenance, and is totally different to any car I’ve ever owned is the bonus.

After owning BMWs for the last 35 years, some of them ///M, but all of them fast, I was looking for something more “interesting”. (Read “faster”). I borrowed a Model S from Tesla for a weekend in 2017 and was so inspired that I vowed my next car would be a Tesla.
That didn’t quite work out and I ended up with another BMW. as the lease matured in April this year, I started looking for a replacement and worked out I could get a new Model 3 Performance for less money overall than a 4 year old BMW M2.
So essentially, I bought the fastest car I could… the fact that it’s an EV, costs little for maintenance, and is totally different to any car I’ve ever owned is the bonus.
What a great summary, pretty much my motives but more eloquently put.

So to help pass the time, what are people's reasons for buying a Tesla? And what's your least favourite aspect of them (other than the wait time)?

For me, have dreamed of an electric car for years. Guess it's the "the future will be electric cars" ideology that I grew up with. Had a bit of a financial windfall, and here in Canberra the incentives made it an easy choice.

I knew my next car would be an EV too. I was initially undecided between a Tesla and whatever was coming to Australia in the next 6 months (LOL). On 11 Feb I was talking to a friend and had an epiphany. I could order a Tesla now and drive it for a couple of years while everything else arrived, and then see if Tesla was still on top for road tripping. So I spoke to my leasing company and put the wheels in motion that day.

Now I wait

Once upon a time, i remember petrol cheap enough to fill the tank for $2.00 worth of 20c pieces at the new coin pumps. Driving was about seeing how far I could get the tacho and speedo dials across to the right. Since then, my interests have been towards economy, and i tried Peugeot turbodiesel which provided about 4.5l/100, and over the past 10 years Hybrid Honda Crz - about 5l/100.
Now that fuel is around $2.00 per liter I want to reduce my bill back to $2.00 for a fill [charge], so my M3Lr will be my "time machine".

Its interesting to read how much the acceleration and speed is a factor in the adoption of EV. I'm no hypocrite either it was a part of the decision process for me but overall the decision was mainly around being green. It's about time we start to change. It was the tech in a Tesla that pushed me towards them as a brand and probably the bespoke build otherwise I was pretty much set on the Ionic 6.

Reactions: IWRBR
I did test drives of the Tesla M3 and the Polestar 2, and chose the Tesla. If the Rivian R1S had been available, that would have been my choice. We've still got a severe lack of choice in EVs, and it's very hard to find anything that really compares well to the Tesla at this time.

Reactions: rtvanda