Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the subject of chargers and charging, I came across this document that seems to be in line with what I have read in various places but brings it together well.

Personally, I am going to see how I go with the 10A solution first. But it seems to me that for people running single phase to a Tesla wall charger they can get the same 7kw charging with the 3 or 5 pin 32A pigtail and the similar socket on the wall for $400 - $500 less than the Tesla wall charger. The electrical install will be the same, the pigtail costs $175 and I think the socket costs $50 -$80, versus $780 for the wall charger. Or have I missed something?

Honestly my optimism is wearing a bit thin at this point. Instead of rectifying the big delivery problem caused by a series of delivery goals that Tesla were evidently unable to achieve, even prior to lockdown, they open up Model Y orders and make that goal twice as hard to acheive? They now have twice the orders between now and November which will require twice the production and twice the ships. Concerning.
From what I understand about giga Shanghai is that 3 and Y and built in the same factory but on different production lines. Opening model Y orders will probably result in some reduction in Model 3 backlog and ease pressure on Model 3 demand and also offer an alternative to prevent 3 wait times blowing out any further.

Tesla still represents a very small percentage of global vehicle movements and freight so solving the supply issue and shifting demand likely to work in the favour of M3 order holders rather than against as the model 3 production line ar Shanghai factory is the bottleneck, not The factory itself or logistics

From what I understand about giga Shanghai is that 3 and Y and built in the same factory but on different production lines. Opening model Y orders will probably result in some reduction in Model 3 backlog and ease pressure on Model 3 demand and also offer an alternative to prevent 3 wait times blowing out any further.

Tesla still represents a very small percentage of global vehicle movements and freight so solving the supply issue and shifting demand likely to work in the favour of M3 order holders rather than against as the model 3 production line ar Shanghai factory is the bottleneck, not The factory itself or logistics
Sorry but this doesn't make sense to me at all. The overall combined number of orders will increase significantly and all must be produced and shipped. They couldn't cope with just the Model 3 orders and we have seen that play out since Q4 last year. They still have a limit to what they can produce regardless of seperate production lines. Currently about 2500 a day apparently. That's assuming operations are not affected again by Covid, which isn't unlikely.

I don't see why this would meaningfully reduce the 3 backlog. Everyone on here who ordered a Y today are keeping their 3 order and either keeping them both or selling one after delivery. Most Y orders are people waiting for a Y. Most 3 orders are people who want a 3. I doubt a large percentage wanted a Y but just ordered a 3 because it was all that was available. They are $60k-$100k vehicles.

In effect, they had X orders, many of which were delayed by months when production wasn't impacted by Covid. They now have 2 x X orders and no actual meaningful increase in production to what they were running for Q4 and Q1. And are also starting with a large backlog.

It would be fine if Y orders launched with 9-12 month EDDs like current 3 orders. But they didn't. They are 2-4 months so have to be added to production of the 3 backlog. This is a bad decision. And maybe a hint of Model 3 delay cover up?

Last edited:
Sorry but this doesn't make sense to me at all. The overall combined number of orders will increase significantly and all must be produced and shipped. They couldn't cope with just the Model 3 orders and we have seen that play out since Q4 last year. They still have a limit to what they can produce regardless of seperate production lines. Currently about 2500 a day apparently. That's assuming operations are not affected again by Covid, which isn't unlikely.

I don't see why this would meaningfully reduce the 3 backlog. Everyone on here who ordered a Y today are keeping their 3 order and either keeping them both or selling one after delivery. Most Y orders are people waiting for a Y. Most 3 orders are people who want a 3. I doubt a large percentage wanted a Y but just ordered a 3 because it was all that was available. They are $60k-$100k vehicles.

In effect, they had X orders, many of which were delayed by months when production wasn't impacted by Covid. They now have 2 x X orders and no actual meaningful increase in production to what they were running for Q4 and Q1. And are also starting with a large backlog.
True can't understand the logic couple of weeks earlier there were rumours that Tesla would stop taking orders of Model Y because of demand now they are delivering MY before M3

Reactions: Hoopyfrood
True can't understand the logic couple of weeks earlier there were rumours that Tesla would stop taking orders of Model Y because of demand now they are delivering MY before M3
Also the update from SA to my mate who booked MY today was orders before 12pm would get their MY delivered in Aug (both RWD and P) as 5k were allocated to Aus...but here we are waiting for M3 for 9-12 months

Reactions: Hoopyfrood
Also the update from SA to my mate who booked MY today was orders before 12pm would get their MY delivered in Aug (both RWD and P) as 5k were allocated to Aus...but here we are waiting for M3 for 9-12 months
Jesus. So 5000 vehicles have been chucked into our queue. I smell an impending delivery blow out. We can only hope we haven't been branded a lost cause by head office and they pour everything into making these 5000 model Y orders happy because they'll get all the press. And make them more money.

Let's also not forget Hertz have an order of 100,000 Teslas in the mix. Been wondering where that slots into all of this too.

Reactions: Avoz
That feeling when the MYs ordered today (well technically yesterday now) would come around the same time as my M3 ordered 6 months ago 😅

Has any of we lucky "few" who were given a VIN about 3 weeks ago and told our cars were coming "real soon now" actually received a car yet? I haven't been able to get any response (by phone or SMS) from my SA for a couple of weeks. I haven't actually even got confirmation that the cars have landed, although it seems they had to be on Turandot and unloaded Sunday 5th June at Port Kembla. I've paid all my money as at 8th June and still no contact of any kind. I currently have edd of 8th June - 19th June. Monday is a public holiday in NSW and the 19th is a Sunday and I doubt they deliver cars on a Sunday (or even a Saturday), so they only have 4 more working days to deliver my car and I would have thought they would have reached out by now. I also sold my BMW last Monday, so I now have to negotiate with my wife to use her car, not a pleasant experience.
I got a call on Tuesday from Tesla Hendra warehouse telling me the car was in Sydney going through the unpacking process, and that it would arrive in Brisbane next week. They expect to call me back on Tuesday with a delivery on Thursday or Friday.
Hav not heard anything since.
App updated this morning to June 10 - June 23.
I would venture a guess that the display Model Y cars were on the same ship (makes sense as my car was supposed to be a display car), and were prioritised for transfer to other cities over the reallocated customer cars to achieve a Model Y launch as early as possible.

Reactions: PcS000 and Ormaus
Jesus. So 5000 vehicles have been chucked into our queue. I smell an impending delivery blow out. We can only hope we haven't been branded a lost cause by head office and they pour everything into making these 5000 model Y orders happy because they'll get all the press. And make them more money.

Let's also not forget Hertz have an order of 100,000 Teslas in the mix. Been wondering where that slots into all of this too.
I hope for everyone's sake that you're wrong and they will clear out at least the August to November backlog (I'm assuming the other RHD countries had similar EDD times). I was definitely confused when I saw that Model Y RWD's had the same delivery timeframe. Let's hope we don't get swept under the rug here.

Yeah, I get breaking bad Aztek vibes from the Y. Especially the rear.
Coming from a 2016 Forester I was surprised at the interior space of the Model 3. When you do the dimensions the Model 3 is longer, wider but not taller and the luggage space bigger but in a different way. Electric car better packaged. But now that I have sat in the Model Y I do like the higher seating and the large hatch. Would be happy with either but it would seem the Model Y would arrive quicker. If if was just for me and not the family I would buy the Model 3. Happy wife happy life. I hope?

I got a call on Tuesday from Tesla Hendra warehouse telling me the car was in Sydney going through the unpacking process, and that it would arrive in Brisbane next week. They expect to call me back on Tuesday with a delivery on Thursday or Friday.
Hav not heard anything since.
App updated this morning to June 10 - June 23.
I would venture a guess that the display Model Y cars were on the same ship (makes sense as my car was supposed to be a display car), and were prioritised for transfer to other cities over the reallocated customer cars to achieve a Model Y launch as early as possible.
Well good to know you at least have a confirmation your car is really here, gives me hope mine is too. I just wish they would tell me something about what they expect, I'm not going to bite their head off. My edd updated to the same as you this morning. Must be done on US time as it always moves to a date that is "yesterday". I can understand the business imperative to get the model Y's out, but really, how many model Y demonstrators can there be? We must be running out of things to delay our cars. By my reckoning we have had:

1/. Didn't build enough Performance and LR for 1Q.
2/. Just when they were getting ready to build our 2Q cars the covid lockdown hit.
3/. Turandot arrives off Brisbane on time for 25th May and has to wait outside for 8 days because of port delays (I heard that it was too much flow of water in the river).
4/. Turandot then wastes another day off Port Kembla because of the knock on effect of the Brisbane delays.
5/. We are probably delayed by the model Y demonstrators.
6/. We lose another day because of the public holiday in NSW.

At least my car should be at Alexandria now, so I don't have to worry about the transport truck breaking down or the Qld Premier closing the border because of covid. I hope I haven't jinxed you.

I hope for everyone's sake that you're wrong and they will clear out at least the August to November backlog (I'm assuming the other RHD countries had similar EDD times). I was definitely confused when I saw that Model Y RWD's had the same delivery timeframe. Let's hope we don't get swept under the rug here.
I haven't paid a lot of attention to the Berlin Giga factory start up, but it seems that it is ramping up now. Currently the model Y and 3 for Europe and the UK come from Shanghai. Presumably Berlin will now start supplying those markets. It seems they are starting production of model Y's first so maybe that's why the delivery times for the Y to Australia are currently better. But I would guess that eventually it has to take some pressure of the model 3 from Shanghai. So fingers crossed the model 3 delivery times might start to shorten a bit for Australia.

Well good to know you at least have a confirmation your car is really here, gives me hope mine is too. I just wish they would tell me something about what they expect, I'm not going to bite their head off. My edd updated to the same as you this morning. Must be done on US time as it always moves to a date that is "yesterday". I can understand the business imperative to get the model Y's out, but really, how many model Y demonstrators can there be? We must be running out of things to delay our cars. By my reckoning we have had:

1/. Didn't build enough Performance and LR for 1Q.
2/. Just when they were getting ready to build our 2Q cars the covid lockdown hit.
3/. Turandot arrives off Brisbane on time for 25th May and has to wait outside for 8 days because of port delays (I heard that it was too much flow of water in the river).
4/. Turandot then wastes another day off Port Kembla because of the knock on effect of the Brisbane delays.
5/. We are probably delayed by the model Y demonstrators.
6/. We lose another day because of the public holiday in NSW.

At least my car should be at Alexandria now, so I don't have to worry about the transport truck breaking down or the Qld Premier closing the border because of covid. I hope I haven't jinxed you.
I just had a phone call from my SA, she has been on leave so I forgive her. They don't have a specific delivery date for my car yet, the next thing I will get is an SMS advising the potential dates to pick up the car, hopefully that will come sometime next week. So the net is maybe I will get my car next week or the week after.:)

Reactions: Avoz
I just had a phone call from my SA, she has been on leave so I forgive her. They don't have a specific delivery date for my car yet, the next thing I will get is an SMS advising the potential dates to pick up the car, hopefully that will come sometime next week. So the net is maybe I will get my car next week or the week after.:)
Not sure if it's cause I'm on my phone browser, but are you able to tell me when you placed your order?

Has any of we lucky "few" who were given a VIN about 3 weeks ago and told our cars were coming "real soon now" actually received a car yet? I haven't been able to get any response (by phone or SMS) from my SA for a couple of weeks. I haven't actually even got confirmation that the cars have landed, although it seems they had to be on Turandot and unloaded Sunday 5th June at Port Kembla. I've paid all my money as at 8th June and still no contact of any kind. I currently have edd of 8th June - 19th June. Monday is a public holiday in NSW and the 19th is a Sunday and I doubt they deliver cars on a Sunday (or even a Saturday), so they only have 4 more working days to deliver my car and I would have thought they would have reached out by now. I also sold my BMW last Monday, so I now have to negotiate with my wife to use her car, not a pleasant experience.
Yep, got a text yesterday after I chased my SA and his boss (both never called back), saying next week from Wednesday at absolute earliest (cars were delayed out of PK, as they prioritised the Y's). My pickups in Chatswood, so expecting Thurs, Fri or Sat at earliest.

Reactions: Mrhany