Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model 3 page has updated with softer looking wording (but exactly the same timeframe) of "Feb 2023 - May 2023" rather than "9-12 months".

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220611-160405_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220611-160405_Chrome.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 82
Tesla's Australian website now confirms that cars built for our market from June will no longer be equipped with radar.

Contrary to the assurances given by that page (and Musk), anecdotes from Tesla Vision owners overwhelmingly suggest that it performs noticeably worse. Even after a year of updates, camera-based Autopilot users are still putting up with:
  • A much higher frequency of phantom braking events and Forward Collision Warning false positives.
  • "Camera blocked or blinded" errors in direct sunlight and light rain.
  • A slower maximum speed (140 km/h here, so at least this won't affect us).
  • A longer minimum following distance (very annoying in stop-start traffic).
  • The notoriously terrible Auto High Beam feature (camera-based Autopilot won't work without it).
  • Not being able to manually set the wiper speed (camera-based Autopilot requires them to be set to Auto).
A lot of these anecdotes come from people who also own a radar-equipped car. If they're to be believed, Tesla Vision is nowhere near as reliable. Some even contend that camera-based Autopilot is practically unusable at night.

Musk is promising that Tesla Vision will eventually surpass sensor fusion but there's absolutely no guarantee of that ever happening. Even if it does, how many years will we have to wait? Tesla Vision is clearly inferior and apparently Tesla agree because they still haven't updated radar-equipped cars to use it. In fact, it looks like they're already planning to reintroduce radar in the near future.

I was really hoping that the car I ordered in December might come with a radar but I guess I'll have to settle for Tesla Vision. Hopefully it'll improve over time. If not, maybe one day we'll have the luxury of paying for a retrofit.

• Informative
Reactions: positiv
On the subject of chargers and charging, I came across this document that seems to be in line with what I have read in various places but brings it together well.

Personally, I am going to see how I go with the 10A solution first. But it seems to me that for people running single phase to a Tesla wall charger they can get the same 7kw charging with the 3 or 5 pin 32A pigtail and the similar socket on the wall for $400 - $500 less than the Tesla wall charger. The electrical install will be the same, the pigtail costs $175 and I think the socket costs $50 -$80, versus $780 for the wall charger. Or have I missed something?
I've got the 32amp pigtail that I bought online (EVSE Adapters – Electric vehicle charging solutions, adapter cords for EV, RV, welders, and more. Charge anywhere.) for what ended up being $116 AUD, I bought the 5 pin socket and switch on eBay for $42 from a Melbourne wholesaler, the electrician installed it for a bit under $800 which included it's own 32a circuit with RCB.

Hi all,

What were the letters to look up to see if you have had a VIN allocated? I remember reading them about 100 pages ago but can't find them now.

Also, anyone in Adelaide have a EDD?

Model: RWD
Colour: white external, black internal
Order date: 28/02
EDD: blank

Report that Tesla M3 outsold all rivals in Q! 2022

I wonder how many were actually delivered??
More than 156 which is what Polestar delivered. Nobody else delivered anything.

Ding ding ding. I just worked out why there were 150-200 "demo vehicles".

Last edited:
Reactions: rtvanda
I believe new orders made for Model 3 are showing 8 - 11 months from order date fitting into that delivery date window you've noted
How do you mean? Feb - May 2023 is 9 to 12 months. It's only 11th of June. "February" incorporates anything up to the 28th. "May" incorporates up to the 31st. So it's 9 (minus 11 days) to 12 (minus 11 days). Or 8 months and 17 days to 11 months and 20 days.

In 4 days it'll switch to March 2023 to June 2023. It's spin. And was probably a whole meeting.

Reactions: rtvanda