Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had breakfast with a person who has had a Model S for 3 years and went into Tesla two days ago for a service and was told by the SA there that 1,000 M3’s would be in each shipment. What I don’t know is whether the 1,000 is per state.

If you're waiting for a car, the only thing that is a true indicator of an impending delivery is an assigned VIN. Knock yourself out trying looking at the source code, the only signal that will confirm that your car has been built and is on the way from Shanghai is an assigned VIN. Based on past experience, this place is likely to light up with people confirming they've got VINs assigned around 15th July.

Don't think of it as a queue but rather a delivery cohort. Tesla don't have a method whereby an order pulls a build through the system (which would allow you to know NOW when your car is scheduled to be built in the future), but rather build in batches for markets. Those in Aug-Nov are hoping for VIN assigned in mid July for a mid August delivery, otherwise there will likely be a second ship in Q3 to deliver cars by end of September. Without a VIN, nobody can confirm a thing.

I just had breakfast with a person who has had a Model S for 3 years and went into Tesla two days ago for a service and was told by the SA there that 1,000 M3’s would be in each shipment. What I don’t know is whether the 1,000 is per state.
The SAs showed up to work at Miranda and saw the Model Y sitting in the showroom, and at that point they knew that the Model Y was going on sale. Take everything you read / hear coming from an SA with a big pinch of salt as they are usually as much in the dark as we are.

Reactions: penn_
The SAs showed up to work at Miranda and saw the Model Y sitting in the showroom, and at that point they knew that the Model Y was going on sale. Take everything you read / hear coming from an SA with a big pinch of salt as they are usually as much in the dark as we are.
So true. My SA said that to me, “you will probably know before me”.

When I ordered mine and asked about the batteries, he said to me “you are one of the few who even know what to ask”.

So true. My SA said that to me, “you will probably know before me”.

When I ordered mine and asked about the batteries, he said to me “you are one of the few who even know what to ask”.
My SA gave me the exact same story re the Model Y going on sale. "They didn't even tell us it was going on sale, we just got swamped all of a sudden out of nowhere". Consistently reiterates they are told nothing about deliveries.

If you're waiting for a car, the only thing that is a true indicator of an impending delivery is an assigned VIN. Knock yourself out trying looking at the source code, the only signal that will confirm that your car has been built and is on the way from Shanghai is an assigned VIN. Based on past experience, this place is likely to light up with people confirming they've got VINs assigned around 15th July.

Don't think of it as a queue but rather a delivery cohort. Tesla don't have a method whereby an order pulls a build through the system (which would allow you to know NOW when your car is scheduled to be built in the future), but rather build in batches for markets. Those in Aug-Nov are hoping for VIN assigned in mid July for a mid August delivery, otherwise there will likely be a second ship in Q3 to deliver cars by end of September. Without a VIN, nobody can confirm a thing.
there is clearly 2 shipments for Aug - Oct and Aug - Nov....deliveries

When I last talked to my SA,when he called me for "that" call a few ago, he said that he had ordered his own about two weeks after I ordered mine [maybe salesman speak?]. So he's waiting just like we are, and also in the dark.

Last edited:
My SA gave me the exact same story re the Model Y going on sale. "They didn't even tell us it was going on sale, we just got swamped all of a sudden out of nowhere". Consistently reiterates they are told nothing about deliveries.
Two days before it went on sale I saw one in the local supermarket parking lot. Kinda well, chubby. Wished I took some photos and hung around to talk to the owner/driver. Not sure if it was a demo model - if so then why is it in the Sunshine Coast?? Drive up from Brisbane? Or maybe its an import from the UK or something?

I know that many other brands of cars have long waitlists, too, and maybe similar forums to this one.
so when i saw tonight's new report that a parcel of illicit substance were found in a car on a RORO ship [unspecified] in Brisbane with consequence that over 1000 cars were searched, an aha moment occurred to me as to the multiiple reasons for delays, beyond manufacture at Giga, surely not a M3?
We don't need those delays.

I know that many other brands of cars have long waitlists, too, and maybe similar forums to this one.
so when i saw tonight's new report that a parcel of illicit substance were found in a car on a RORO ship [unspecified] in Brisbane with consequence that over 1000 cars were searched, an aha moment occurred to me as to the multiiple reasons for delays, beyond manufacture at Giga, surely not a M3?
We don't need those delays.
Well Teslas are known for their speed.

Quick question, has anyone done a wall charger installation for a detached garage and the meter box is not near. Any idea on the cost, how much would that incur?
Lots of factors to consider. Do you have 3 phase power? Do you want the charger wired up as 3-phase? Is there an existing sub board in the garage? Is the circuit supplying it adequate for the charger? (prob not) Is there enough room in the existing conduit running to the garage to pull a new (possibly 3 phase circuit through) If not, then they’ll prob need to dig a trench and run a new conduit. Is that going to be possible with whatever paths/gardens/landscaping between the house and garage? The only way to know is get some quotes. Could be anywhere from $500 to several thousand.

Reactions: Maximillan
What are people's thoughts on paint protection?

It was highly recommended to me to get Ceramic Paint Protection because of the susceptibility of the nose to stone strikes. But I've now learned that CPP doesn't do much to protect against stone strikes. So should look at Paint Protection Film instead, which is more costly. Or a mixture: PPF for the nose and front 3 quarter panels, CPP for the rest?

What are people's thoughts on paint protection?

It was highly recommended to me to get Ceramic Paint Protection because of the susceptibility of the nose to stone strikes. But I've now learned that CPP doesn't do much to protect against stone strikes. So should look at Paint Protection Film instead, which is more costly. Or a mixture: PPF for the nose and front 3 quarter panels, CPP for the rest?
The advice you've been given is spot on. I just went with Ceramic Coating and I'm really happy with it, keeps the car cleaner for longer and when it's time to clean it's super easy to clean.

I decided not to go with the PPF simply due to the cost and that most of my kms are around town. It's not a guarantee that you won't get stone chips, and for the cost of the PPF I figured that I could get the front resprayed. YMMV, but what you mentioned regarding the PPF for front and ceramic coating for the rest is a good compromise.