Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are people's thoughts on paint protection?

It was highly recommended to me to get Ceramic Paint Protection because of the susceptibility of the nose to stone strikes. But I've now learned that CPP doesn't do much to protect against stone strikes. So should look at Paint Protection Film instead, which is more costly. Or a mixture: PPF for the nose and front 3 quarter panels, CPP for the rest?
Ceramic paint protection doesn't do anything against stone strikes - how would it? It's just a thin/microscopic liquid polymer coating containing some ceramic nano-particles. It'll reduce oxidation while it lasts but it's faaaaar too thin to provide any physical protection.

PPF for the front is the way to go if you're worried about stone chips.

Ceramic paint protection doesn't do anything against stone strikes - how would it? It's just a thin/microscopic liquid polymer coating containing some ceramic nano-particles. It'll reduce oxidation while it lasts but it's faaaaar too thin to provide any physical protection.

PPF for the front is the way to go if you're worried about stone chips.
Might go down the ceramic path for mine too. My thinking is to enjoy the semi-naked car and if it gets chips in 3-7 years, just spray/ppf to a new colour. It'll be like new 😂

Reactions: *Sparkles*
hey Hazygrunt, have you gotten any quotes for the ceramic in Perth yet? Just wondered how $$ it is
I haven't got a quote yet but from looking around the range is about $700-$1300. I'll get back to you once I get official quotes

A few places I'm looking at

Reactions: *Sparkles*
Those in QLD head to top coat detailing at Maroochydore! A-mazing work by a team that really know what they are doing
Or Clean Get Away Detailing - quotes for tinting and whole car ppf similar to their YouTube videos and it was a little cheaper than a similar place in Brisbane.

They even have a video showing the Model 3 after a trip to Cairns and back and how well the PPF (front only) helped (or didnt) for bug splatter and stone chips.

Tesbros has a good video on the different paint protection types, paint layers, etc if you're after more info on how it works for each type.

Reactions: maxb and penn_
I haven't got a quote yet but from looking around the range is about $700-$1300. I'll get back to you once I get official quotes

A few places I'm looking at
those looking to DIY, may i suggest Best Car Care Products For Sale Online | SENSHA

it can make toyota paint look OK

:)

Quick question, has anyone done a wall charger installation for a detached garage and the meter box is not near. Any idea on the cost, how much would that incur?
I had to get a new conduit trenched in, pulled a 3-phase 32A circuit through, needed a new CB because the previous one was ancient and no longer compliant, new wiring from the meter to the CB. A couple of thousand all up.

Reactions: Leeroy
Similar here, but not a Tesla wall charger (32amp 3ph plug.)

25m 3ph cable run, conduit on the outside of the garage and then plug and switch. Very easy access under my home, standing room for most of it. $1200 using the installer in the tesla website.

Definitely the Ryzen chip. As best I can tell from looking at a couple of youtube videos I think I have the matrix headlights.
ALSO, I forgot to include in my previous post that I got Hancook Ventus S1 Evo 3 tyres, I was expecting Michelin PS4 or perhaps Pirelli P Zero, so I am a bit disappointed. I found a tyre test online which ranked them third overall after Goodyear and Michelin were equal first. Not sure how much you can read into the tests, seems to have very good braking performance wet and dry, understeer more and have higher rolling resistance (perhaps important for an EV). I guess I will find out in coming weeks and months. Here is the link 2022 Tyre Reviews 17 Inch UHP Summer Tyre Test - Tyre Reviews and Tests
I had the Michelins on my Mustang and they are allot louder on the road than the Hankooks. The Hankooks handle really well.

I had the Michelins on my Mustang and they are allot louder on the road than the Hankooks. The Hankooks handle really well.
Thanks for that. When I did my test drive last November (I think it had Michelins) I took special note of the noise and the ride, since I had read that both were an issue with the model 3 ( I even got a sound meter app for my phone so I could compare to my BMW 330i GT with Michelins on the front, Continentals on the back). Probably not a scientifically valid test but at least an indication. The sound app said the noise in the cabin was slightly louder in the Tesla and subjectively I thought it was slightly louder too, but nothing to worry about. when it came to ride I thought it was even closer, again the BMW was slightly better subjectively but nothing to worry about. Now that I have my car my impression so far is that the noise level is better than I remembered, perhaps better than the BMW, but the ride is worse than I remember. Once I have a week or two of experience so I have a benchmark to compare to, I am going to try lowering the tyre pressures from the current 43 psi to something like 37 or 38 psi to see what difference that makes to the ride and also the efficiency. I'm not really worried about range, except maybe if I go on a trip ( and I could always bump back up for that). I wonder what pressures Tesla runs on their demonstrators, perhaps they run lower pressures to improve the ride?

I also did my first charge last night from a 10amp outlet after travelling 163 klms. Added 24kw at a cost of under $4 (some of it was at the "shoulder" rate rather than "off peak" or it would have been even cheaper). In the BMW I expect that would have cost about $30 at current prices. I didn't buy the Tesla to save money, but wow that is some saving (at least until the government ramps up a tax of some kind on electric cars to replace the petrol tax).

I haven’t used them, but when my car arrives I'll be contacting Affinesse (Melbourne south-east suburbs) to discuss ceramic coating and window tinting. That’s based on feedback from others on this forum.

I'd also be interested to hear from folk in Victoria about insurers for comprehensive policies on Teslas. (Not third party personal injury damage, that's covered by the compulsory scheme here.) Do any insurers offer rates that aren’t ridiculously high?

Reactions: Zigman