Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd also be interested to hear from folk in Victoria about insurers for comprehensive policies on Teslas. (Not third party personal injury damage, that's covered by the compulsory scheme here.) Do any insurers offer rates that aren’t ridiculously high?
Am in QLD but have a quote a few months ago from SunCorp for M3LR for 1200pa with 1200 excess - I was curious as well so looking to budget the cost in.
We also got a CX5 recently and it is 750pa with a 800 excess but the car is less than half the price.

So I think 1200 isn't too excessive.

Mines way more, $2000 with Shannon’s but as above also includes unlimited car hire and glass cover plus I have agreed value at $71k. That’s probably the driver why it’s so high as I haven’t had a claim nor any infringements for over a decade.

$1204.85 with nrma, that’s with the windscreen option (which i understand a must have for teslas). Might shop around and see if there are any cheaper.
I checked them out and their website said they won't give me a quote at all for the car. The only information I have them was that I was in SA. I selected the model of car and got a message saying they can't give me a quote.

I'll give them a call. I'd like to stay with Swann since I've had a good time with them for my bike in the last 5 years but it looks like they don't do cars any more.

I got a quote from Budget Direct like PcS000 did but mine was $1200. Not terrible, but I'm sure if my partner put it under her name it would be at least $200 cheaper.

Being an old fart I have been looking at APIA for Comprehensive insurance.
$1400 with Unlimited Hire Car and Windscreen and Window Glass replacement. I understand that the top glass is not covered by windscreen damage and you need to have full glass cover. Not sure if that is the same as other insurers.

• Informative
Reactions: rtvanda
Being an old fart I have been looking at APIA for Comprehensive insurance.
$1400 with Unlimited Hire Car and Windscreen and Window Glass replacement. I understand that the top glass is not covered by windscreen damage and you need to have full glass cover. Not sure if that is the same as other insurers.
Just did an online quote for NRMA and it comes in even cheaper at $1000 with Hire Car, Windscreen, and any repairer. $850 excess.

Reactions: rtvanda
I've looked at RACV, AAMI and Budget (VIC based). The car hire seems to be "after an incident" or "after a not at fault incident". Not sure whether it is worthwhile as the most likely causes of the car being unusable for me are a smashed windscreen or damage from a roo hit (I live out in the sticks)....anyone have any idea whether those would qualify for a hire car?

I've looked at RACV, AAMI and Budget (VIC based). The car hire seems to be "after an incident" or "after a not at fault incident". Not sure whether it is worthwhile as the most likely causes of the car being unusable for me are a smashed windscreen or damage from a roo hit (I live out in the sticks)....anyone have any idea whether those would qualify for a hire car?
I used to think the same until........ The Misses was involved in a rear-end accident. Only seemed small at the time. She even drove the car home. insurance told her to pick up a Hire Car as they would be taking her car away to be looked at. It took two weeks for them to get back to her to say that the car was being written off! It was another two weeks for all of the paperwork to come through with the money to buy a new car. For me now it's a no-brainer as there is no way we could have survived without a second car for a month. Also, a Roo strike is not an at-fault accident. So you are covered for them. (Speaking from experience on this one!

Last edited: