Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just an update from my SA, i called up to the see why the wording has changed on my account just like some in here, he confirmed as it is only wording changes and nothing special however he said They are still issuing vins for model 3 and y as we speak. And orders made in january/feb should be finalised in the next 2-3 weeks for Q3 deliveries.
How accurate is that i have no clue just passing some info.
It does confirm other similar messages we have heard

This is what I have
This was where that msg was. Now it just says payments.
1657337088027.png

If the factory was pumping out 800 cars a day out, then based on my 6001xx vin and 29/6 build date that's a preshutdown VIN. Assuming sequential VIN production of course.
VIN allocation is not sequential. Numbers can jump around. The exact system is known only to Tesla. Definitive will be the date on the invoice. All else, like mine, is mere speculation.

VIN allocation is not sequential. Numbers can jump around. The exact system is known only to Tesla. Definitive will be the date on the invoice. All else, like mine, is mere speculation.
I was commenting on BUILD dates, not VIN Allocation Dates.
It is widely assumed the serial number part of the VIN is sequential, ie a higher VIN number was produced later. This does not appear to be the case, if the build date on the Tesla invoice is correct

Serial numbers (the last digits in a VIN) are mostly allocated sequentially in manufacturing (lowest available number) But from an interview i saw with a Tesla engineer, inventory is built up at each of the the panel pressing, body welding and paint shop sections and that's where a VIN is assigned to the body. They don't run in parallel with the guts adding line at all.

He was scarce on detail as to exactly where in the panel -> welding -> paint section that the VIN is assigned. It takes 12 hours for cars to dry/drip and hardly time on the guts injecting line. So they need an inventory built up at the paint shop rather than running end to end.

Before the paintshop, there is another inventory build up of basic panels and components to weld into full bodies.

So they would probably take the next available white body in the inventory to go along the guts adding line. Then the next available red. They are probably sequential at some point, but not close to sequential in final build.

Just an update from my SA, i called up to the see why the wording has changed on my account just like some in here, he confirmed as it is only wording changes and nothing special however he said They are still issuing vins for model 3 and y as we speak. And orders made in january/feb should be finalised in the next 2-3 weeks for Q3 deliveries.
I am choosing to be positive here (which some will vehemently disagree with) but I still believe that as Tesla had planned these shutdowns this month, and had given us an Aug-Oct/Nov windows, that they will deliver within this window. Would be nice if we had our VINs, but still.

I am choosing to be positive here (which some will vehemently disagree with) but I still believe that as Tesla had planned these shutdowns this month, and had given us an Aug-Oct/Nov windows, that they will deliver within this window. Would be nice if we had our VINs, but still.
There are now five roro ships which are scheduled to arrive in Australia from late July to early September which to me supports what your saying. Defineately not guaranteed of course.

So our car could have exited the body shop prior to shutdown with the guts inserted on restart.
Maybe, maybe not. More likely your serial number (the end bit of the VIN) was assigned a while back and the rest of the vin was filled in according to the guts it ends up with. The bodies are apparently ambidextrous.

But also assigning a VIN to an order is probably a whole other kettle of fish.

To explain. We think like humans (who grew up conditioned with a particular system of writing), not robots. They can print the last bit first and as long as they use the same paint and are aligned properly, can print the first bit last. We assume the vin is written like we read and write. Left to right and all at the same time if perceived as one 'word' or 'string'.

Last edited: