Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If true that vehicles after June 2022 have the USB cable cut at the Shanghai plant, then we can't even go out and purchase the 3rd party offering anyway. The least they could do is leave the cable intact. Not a lot to ask.
The 3rd party solution can still be used for charging. You may need to buy a cable separately and get it installed in the car. OBD power is exactly the same situation.

Dedicated Graphics were removed silently without reason (There isn't any shortage of high-end chips),
3/Y never had dedicated graphics. Both the Atom and Ryzen contain integrated GPU.
The refresh S/X have Ryzen plus an additional GPU (equivalent to PS5)
Mobile Charger was removed because "people aren't using them"
The UMC removal is just a cost save preventing a price increase. Many won't use it (I haven't although it does reduce range anxiety on regional trips) Many better buying the HPWC over the UMC.

I think it was introduced mainly for gaming purposes (therefore it has exactly the same setup as a PS5 with Ryzen CPUs and Dedicated AMD Graphics). Around April - May it was reported that the graphics card is no longer being offered as part of the new car. There isn't an official announcement about these.

Many people stay in rentals and they do not want to install wall chargers (costly and may become a risk). Mobile Charger is great for them if they travel less than 100km on daily basis.
Thanks! The whole game thing is just a bit gimmicky for me and if I want to game, I'll turn my PS5 on in my lounge room on my 75" 4K tv. But I understand others probably think differently and are disappointed with the graphics card elimination.

I guess for me, as long as the graphics element in the Ryzen CPU (given there is no longer a dedicated graphics card) is good enough to ensure everything non-game related works well, then I'll be happy. But yeah probably sucks for those that wanted to game in their Tesla.

EDIT - and yeah I guess you're right on mobile charger. Saying that its not like its gone completely, you can still buy it if you need it. Most people who are forking out this much for a Tesla, if they really need a mobile charger I'm sure an extra $500 isn't going to hurt that much.

3/Y never had dedicated graphics. Both the Atom and Ryzen contain integrated GPU.
The refresh S/X have Ryzen plus an additional GPU (equivalent to PS5)

The UMC removal is just a cost save preventing a price increase. Many won't use it (I haven't although it does reduce range anxiety on regional trips) Many better buying the HPWC over the UMC.
Not true.

1657860155976.jpg

1657860085360.jpg

It was a shame that it was removed. I am inclined to believe this is only for cost savings.

Thanks! The whole game thing is just a bit gimmicky for me and if I want to game, I'll turn my PS5 on in my lounge room on my 75" 4K tv. But I understand others probably think differently and are disappointed with the graphics card elimination.

I guess for me, as long as the graphics element in the Ryzen CPU (given there is no longer a dedicated graphics card) is good enough to ensure everything non-game related works well, then I'll be happy. But yeah probably sucks for those that wanted to game in their Tesla.
I don't mind about these either. I was just reacting natively to "Tesla will only make the car better, not worse" but it's really really really not the case.

It only makes executive decisions for its own benefits (market domination, cost savings, convenience etc).

If it continues like this I probably won't be surprised when my car arrives it only comes with 3 wheels that Elon will tweet "Logs show the 4th wheel is rarely used".

I admit there is currently a shortage but anyone who is serious about their business did not appear to be affected by the shortage. (well at least I did not see any computers offering only one USB-c port).
You don't think Dell, Lenovo and HP are serious about their business?

It's always easier to just pick something up from a random eBay store for one or 2 items, but try picking up hundreds or even thousands and you'll get no where,
For your reference, Apple ships M2 MacBook air in 3-4 weeks.
So even they have delays, and that's 3-4 weeks as of right now when things are starting to get back under control

You don't think Dell, Lenovo and HP are serious about their business?

So even they have delays, and that's 3-4 weeks as of right now when things are starting to get back under control
I am saying they are still putting customers first and despite reasonable delays, they won't deliver a product with one USB-c port while they could always argue "According to logs, the second, third and fourth USB-c ports are rarely used so represent little value to retain, if not you can always buy a USB-c hub, we are now offering a USB-c hub at half the price to compensate this".

If the competition in EV is, as intense as computers these days, I dare Elon to make this move.

I'd rather have heated seats and steering wheel than be able to play "PS5 quality" games in my car thanks
The heated seats in my current car give a disconcerting feeling of wetting oneself.

User data from my car and discussions with a random sample of users of other cars with heated seats overwhelmingly supports this point of view.

As others have mentioned, it seems the USB ports do not have data capability (other than the port in the glove box).

The aftermarket world is never one to miss an opportunity. I found this ... USB-C Upgrade Module (for data)
No doubt there may be others out there offering something similar.

One comment on the page mentioned reads ... "Vehicles delivered after June 2022 probably have the USB cable cut by the factory, please check before ordering."
The Abstract Ocean unit you listed has been around for a while. There is also a newer unit which provides 2 USB-C (one 65W charging) and four USB-A ports. The standard plugs in the console wiring plug right into both units. The latest offering comes with a double ended male USB mini cable and their web site (Chinese) shows where it connects in the car. There MCU has a mini USB port lower right and you plug the USB mini (male) into here. Then you plug a similar USB mini (male) into a port on the side of the console itself. This connects to the white connector as part of the wiring loom. If that connector is gone you simply need to feed the USB cable through the console to connect to the port on the back of the module as it is a female USB mini but has white locking clip attached. The newer USB Hub can be seen here:

使用说明 (edited)

It is in Chinese but you can translate. The install video is the most important thing as it shows you how to retrofit the USB cable. AliExpress has the second unit for around $90-100. Here is an example:

The Abstract Ocean one is also on AliExpress and around AU$70 plus shipping. Abstract Ocean is overpriced.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Ormaus