Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 with Premium Connectivity and VOICE commands

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All, I am new to the Tesla family and trying to find out all that I can do with it. Unfortunately as nice as it is to drive there are some settings that seem very limited.

I use the vehicle for work and some functionality is limited, in particular with the Voice Commands. I had an extremely embarrassing incident the other day where I said very clearly Call Jason xxxx. The Tesla decided to send a SMS to the client saying "cool triton rod". sounds amusing but this sort of thing is pretty disappointing.

I have decided to not use this for risk of causing further issues and are using other maps like Waze which I was hoping would have been standard. The levels of notifications of cameras, incidents just are not available in the stock system.

Does anyone know if there may be settings like English (Australian) coming? something like this may help?

Workaround. Instead of using the Tesla voice commands, try using your phones. "OK Google - Call Jason xxxx". Doing it this way uses Australian language and fixes the issue of the Tesla system not recognising what you are saying. The call ends up in the car interface same as if you did it via Tesla. I guess you should be able to do same with siri. Shame the Tesla Strine voice recognition is so poor as the system is packed full of useful voice commands.

• Helpful
Reactions: Hairyman
Hi All, I am new to the Tesla family and trying to find out all that I can do with it. Unfortunately as nice as it is to drive there are some settings that seem very limited.

I use the vehicle for work and some functionality is limited, in particular with the Voice Commands. I had an extremely embarrassing incident the other day where I said very clearly Call Jason xxxx. The Tesla decided to send a SMS to the client saying "cool triton rod". sounds amusing but this sort of thing is pretty disappointing.

I have decided to not use this for risk of causing further issues and are using other maps like Waze which I was hoping would have been standard. The levels of notifications of cameras, incidents just are not available in the stock system.

Does anyone know if there may be settings like English (Australian) coming? something like this may help?
Voice command works brilliantly if you throw on an american accent. Try “cole jason”. It will work perfectly every time.
The tesla voice system used to be incredibly good, but then they decided to make their own rather than buy it in, but unfortunatey its creators didnt stop to realise there are other contries outside USA.

The funniest one though is calling ‘peter’. You’ll get ‘cold pizza’. So that becomes ‘cole peeeter’ rather than ‘Corl peta’

• Funny
Reactions: TASKA9 and Max_G

and also this google docs as referred to in the first link. Appears more up to date:

Reactions: Hungry Mile
thanks for all the replies, yes i have tried using US accent doesn't work to well. Will have a look through a few of the links, is disappointing that would have to revert back to my phone, but that's just how it has to be I suppose in the interim

Workaround. Instead of using the Tesla voice commands, try using your phones. "OK Google - Call Jason xxxx". Doing it this way uses Australian language and fixes the issue of the Tesla system not recognising what you are saying. The call ends up in the car interface same as if you did it via Tesla. I guess you should be able to do same with siri. Shame the Tesla Strine voice recognition is so poor as the system is packed full of useful voice commands.
yes will have to do this in the interim :(

and also this google docs as referred to in the first link. Appears more up to date:
fantastic, this is excellent!

Reactions: Max_G and Hairyman
thanks for all the replies, yes i have tried using US accent doesn't work to well. Will have a look through a few of the links, is disappointing that would have to revert back to my phone, but that's just how it has to be I suppose in the interim
The american accent thing definately works, just try more drool and it should be fine. You can also avoid heavily accented words, so in nav avoid words like ‘drive to’ and instead use ‘navigate to’.
I had a fascinating test from my local tesla mechanic. He came out with his assistant who was strong american. The aussie mechanic couldnt get any words to work, whereas the american mechanic reeled of command after command and quickly, and it worked absolutely every time. Hence work on your americanisation and you’ll be fine…but maybe not in front of a workmate, and dont forget to stay on the correct side of the road.

I find that even if you use an American accent that the Voice Control is flawed and I have given up using it.

One time I said "Set fan to Fourrrrrrrrrr" and really rolled my Rs. On the screen it clearly said "Set fan to 4" and down the bottom it said "set fan speed to 4". What happened next changed just about everything in the climate control EXCEPT setting the fan speed to 4. I had to pull over and spend a few minutes sorting out the complete mess it created.

Interestingly, after many attempts to use voice and kind of abandoning the process, I just now tried again with "show tyre pressures" and "open charge port" and both worked without needing a funny accent. I'll have to try to memorise that list pointed to by pts260.

Reactions: Max_G
I find that even if you use an American accent that the Voice Control is flawed and I have given up using it.

One time I said "Set fan to Fourrrrrrrrrr" and really rolled my Rs. On the screen it clearly said "Set fan to 4" and down the bottom it said "set fan speed to 4". What happened next changed just about everything in the climate control EXCEPT setting the fan speed to 4. I had to pull over and spend a few minutes sorting out the complete mess it created.
No no no, just say “i’m hot” in an american way, and it will make the car colder, followed by raucous laughter from your passengers for declaring your hottness

Bang on mate. My Tesla does not understand an australian accent at all. And it is not a strong accent either.