Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model S pics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car in its garage with some of the charging panels and inverters visible.
With full sun I am finding I can put about 200-250kms a day into the battery.
TeslaModelS085KWH.jpg

house battery bank is 48KWh and weighs 3 tonnes
would be nice to have a Tesla 85KWh battery as backup

I'm waiting to pull the trigger on a 100KWh bank for when prices come down for a hybrid system.

Having a hybrid system yourself, does that mean you cannot feed back into the network? I know many utilities don't allow it, even with isolated inverters. (one feeding grid, one feeding house/bank)

If that's the case, I would be looking to go completely off-grid and not even bother with utility power...

My car in its garage with some of the charging panels and inverters visible.
With full sun I am finding I can put about 200-250kms a day into the battery.

Nice set up Jim. Are you feeding directly into the car or via your 48kWh home battery bank? IE DC panels to AC inverter to the Tesla wall charger? Or DC panels to DC battery bank to Tesla supplied AC wall charger? I am interested in setting up a similar system, but was trying to avoid the costly home battery system.

I am investigating solar cost benefits for Melbourne but we have quiet a cold weather profile and annual typical radiation map looks poor.

As a side: AussieModelS thanks for the feedback on the 10A/11A portable charger unit - This gives me the confidence to grab one too.

A 100Kwhr bank is super big bugger most homes runs maybe 15Kwhr in summer with 2 aircons running all day.

Nice set up Jim. Are you feeding directly into the car or via your 48kWh home battery bank? IE DC panels to AC inverter to the Tesla wall charger? Or DC panels to DC battery bank to Tesla supplied AC wall charger? I am interested in setting up a similar system, but was trying to avoid the costly home battery system.

We are completely off grid.
SMA Sunny boy inverters which convert DC to 230V AC which goes to loads such as house , car etc. Excess converted back to DC via SMA Sunny Island for storage in battery until reconverted to AC for use when sun not shining.
Car charging is purely manual by throwing a switch when I know I have excess power from PV.

- - - Updated - - -

I am investigating solar cost benefits for Melbourne but we have quiet a cold weather profile and annual typical radiation map looks poor.

As a side: AussieModelS thanks for the feedback on the 10A/11A portable charger unit - This gives me the confidence to grab one too.

A 100Kwhr bank is super big bugger most homes runs maybe 15Kwhr in summer with 2 aircons running all day.

15Kwhr would be a very Low figure if you wanted to run AC.
Our basic power use is about 10KWh per day unless I am trying to maximise production by heating water, pumping water etc.
OR charging a Tesla! Made and used 60KWhrs yesterday!