Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went to my nearest showroom (1.5 hours away) to actually look at a Y yesterday afternoon with my wife who the car is for. It’s a lot bigger in person than it looks in the photos. My wife wasn’t that impressed really. Said she much preferred my 3. We are still getting it though as she is due a new car and we don’t want two 3’s. Once we have two electric cars though we will probably dive each other’s cars a lot more. The only thing I wish was different with our specs is my 3 is a long range and the Y we ordered is a standard range. It would probably make more sense to have the bigger car have the most range but my wife didn’t want to spend as much as the YP cost and of course there is no LR at the moment. I do enjoy the extra performance of my 3 LR though. Anyway, first world problems. I’m sure she will love it when we get it. It just doesn’t look anywhere near as sporty as the 3.

Not sure I could do 2 X EV Cars at the moment. I've got the Y on order and a Diesel Tuscon. Still feels like we need a ICE car in Aus unfortunately
I thought the same until we had the 3 for a few months. We have taken it on multi day away trips and everything with not a worry. It was that experience that made us decide to replace my wife’s ICE car with a Tesla as well. Sure there might be some truly outback trips that would be hard to do but most people aren’t going to encounter that.

Hey guys, also Perth here.. initially ordered a base MY with Aug-Nov22 delivery date but upgraded to MYP for Feb-May23.

Based on people with M3P in Perth, how is the ride on the 21" wheels ?
Nice! The performance Y's sound really fast on paper, bet it will make for an exciting ride!

Seems to be a lot of negative feedback overseas about the suspension though.... guess you could always look for an aftermarket solution if needed (but $$$)

Last edited:
Hahahaha...... you're on!

I'm not 100% sure if we'll go ahead with both cars. I was holding out for the Y originally and ordered the 3 after I got sick of waiting, and now here we are! Will work it out after I've taken the Y for a test drive. Very excited!!!
I did exactly this. Ordered the 3 but wanted the Y. I committed to cancelling the 3 as soon as I placed the order of the Y, didn't want the temptation of getting both 🙃

Reactions: *Sparkles*
Hahahaha...... you're on!

I'm not 100% sure if we'll go ahead with both cars. I was holding out for the Y originally and ordered the 3 after I got sick of waiting, and now here we are! Will work it out after I've taken the Y for a test drive. Very excited!!!
Yes I really want the Model Y for the larger and easier to get in to etc. But I love the Model 3 especially on country drives. Technically on paper I can get both but mortgage and inflation is a little of a worry

Exactly what my wife said. Prefers the model 3 which was surprising to hear
We missed the boat so I think we will enjoy the 3 for a while longer
And agree if you had a larger car, would prefer longer range. I feel like it will be shorter with the Y, more like 350kms

Went to my nearest showroom (1.5 hours away) to actually look at a Y yesterday afternoon with my wife who the car is for. It’s a lot bigger in person than it looks in the photos. My wife wasn’t that impressed really. Said she much preferred my 3. We are still getting it though as she is due a new car and we don’t want two 3’s. Once we have two electric cars though we will probably dive each other’s cars a lot more. The only thing I wish was different with our specs is my 3 is a long range and the Y we ordered is a standard range. It would probably make more sense to have the bigger car have the most range but my wife didn’t want to spend as much as the YP cost and of course there is no LR at the moment. I do enjoy the extra performance of my 3 LR though. Anyway, first world problems. I’m sure she will love it when we get it. It just doesn’t look anywhere near as sporty as the 3.