Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
who said MY is delayed? im sure they would've known about the shut down at the time of Model Y orders opening. Delivery window of AUG-NOV is still possible.
Anything's possible but I dont think an August delivery for a MY is probable. Unless some are made in the next 2 days the factory shuts down the MY lines until 17th July. Its 6 weeks then from start of production to delivery which doesn't seem likely.

Reactions: Brando_o
For those with VINs assigned, did you get an email or app notification? Or is it just a case of randomly opening the app to check?
I think most are trying to find it in the webpage source code as it lurks in there for a few days before a formal notification. Following is from the M3 page (Australian Model 3 Waiting Room):

Easiest way to see is to log in to your account. Select your car from the Dashboard screen. Once it appears, type in this URL and it will show all of the relevant information you need:

Simply a text display of your order with all the variables found for your order. VIN is the one that you should see populated when you have a VIN allocated. Year variable will also populate.

View attachment 822033

I read that Australia-bound cars were previously produced at the beginning of the quarter… with 3 VINs now being allocated (ie, end of the quarter), does this mean that the old timing no longer applies (due to Shanghai lockdowns)? And if so, does that mean we might get Y VINs allocated in the next few days??

Worth a watch not just because the Berlin model previews likely updates that will come for Shanghai built Y, but because he confirms that all UK Model Ys coming Shanghai come with the parcel shelf. I'd be happy to wait for my Y so that I get the softer suspension setup.

have you had a test drive yet mate? we drove one with the 20" and the ride wasn't problematic at all, really liked it.

I read that Australia-bound cars were previously produced at the beginning of the quarter… with 3 VINs now being allocated (ie, end of the quarter), does this mean that the old timing no longer applies (due to Shanghai lockdowns)? And if so, does that mean we might get Y VINs allocated in the next few days??
I hope so. It makes sense they are produced at roughly the same time to make the ship. However, they are on totally seperate production lines, so it may be more than a few days between VIN allocations.

I hope so. It makes sense they are produced at roughly the same time to make the ship. However, they are on totally seperate production lines, so it may be more than a few days between VIN allocations.
This comment got me thinking about the bottlenecks that'll be worsened when they start shipping the Y. Known bottlenecks already include:
  1. Processing the cars as they come off the ship at Port Kembla and booking them on trucks to leave the port. This can take up to two weeks from the ship first arriving.
  2. The delivery centres have been all about getting your car out as quickly as possible, with a "10 minute" delivery expectation. For the Y deliveries in Sydney they won't be using Chatswood as it's too small to cope with both 3 and Y deliveries.
Trying to combine the 3 and Y builds / shipments will create another set of complications that Tesla might be able to avoid by having more than 2 shipments per quarter.

This comment got me thinking about the bottlenecks that'll be worsened when they start shipping the Y. Known bottlenecks already include:
  1. Processing the cars as they come off the ship at Port Kembla and booking them on trucks to leave the port. This can take up to two weeks from the ship first arriving.
  2. The delivery centres have been all about getting your car out as quickly as possible, with a "10 minute" delivery expectation. For the Y deliveries in Sydney they won't be using Chatswood as it's too small to cope with both 3 and Y deliveries.
Trying to combine the 3 and Y builds / shipments will create another set of complications that Tesla might be able to avoid by having more than 2 shipments per quarter.
That’s a very fair comment and unfortunately I tend to agree. They may end up splitting across ships.
However, from a delivery standpoint, there is no difference between Y/3, so maybe they will just load up what they can and deal with the backlog on Aussie shores.. From a production scale perspective, you want to do all of your Australian cars at the same time and get them out of China asap. Surely it’s faster doing Aus complaint cars in as few runs as possible.