Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's what everything I've read has said. There was media reporting about LG Chem supplying Gigafactory Shanghai with a newer NCMA battery instead from early 2021 but I never saw any confirmation that the switch went ahead.

Right, wish Tesla would supply the info. Perhaps that's the case for cars out of GF Shanghai and from the US they are or were NCA?

Yes, right from the opening LG Chem has supplied the 21700 cells for GF Shanghai whereas Panasonic supplies GF 1. That article is North America-focussed.

NCM chemistry for china made LR and Ps, NCA chemistry for American made LR and Ps

Yes its official....

Hopefully we do get a few extra upgrade when we get the 2023 model Y. Whether it is the M3P or NCMA battery, I think the 2170 battery is starting to show its age so would be good to see an improvement. It s a little silly to pay more for the extra larger battery on the Performance when u will get the same everyday range at RWD since u cant charge the 2170 to 100%.

Anyway, tesla better give us something good if they are asking us to wait till next year. New battery, auto frunk, cargo cover, HUD/2nd screen would all be a nice addition!

It s a little silly to pay more for the extra larger battery on the Performance when u will get the same everyday range at RWD since u cant charge the 2170 to 100%.
You absolutely can charge them to 100%, it's just advised not to do it on an everyday basis.

Most people will use about 10% to 20% of the battery each day, so only charging it to 80% or 90% each night makes no difference. The 100% range is available when you need it for a long trip.

These new Model Y seats, I guess for the 3 also, look like a huge improvement on the current 3/Y seats...

Nice double stiching, no yucky creases/bunching on the sides that occurs on the black seats in particular and should hold one much better:

2022-10-12_16-26-09.png

2022-10-12_16-30-17.png

A friend of mine works on the Port of Brisbane wharves. He said he had passed a truck load of Tesla's every morning heading into town while on the way to work. Upon further snooping he said there are about 70-80 Tesla's sitting on Berth 1 as of Today. The deduction here is that the Ship must have unloaded them in Brisbane, if they are sitting on Berth 1.

Previously he spotted several sitting in the Port of Brisbane holding yard. The thought at the time (September) was they were trucking them up from Port Kembla and offloading into the holding yard, then as needed delivered to Hendra for delivery.

• Helpful
Reactions: fvb14
I appreciate that it might not currently be ‘in pattern’ for Tesla but if they’re making RHD MYPs for the UK market and ramping up production, why can’t they ship some of them babies over to Aus?

I'm not sure the German factory is making them for the UK market, the Performance isn't released in the UK (I don't think) and for some reason UK gets LR Y's from Shanghai (when we don't).

In the end I don't care (although the German built cars are meant to have better suspension, better paint and now the better, like way better, seats) it is starting to add up the differences whereby the German built's Y's are vastly better.

I really do want to wait for the better seats, comparing my Model 3 Performance White seats to my wife's Model X...the X has SOOO much better seats...the new look seats on the German built Y look much closer to S/X seats, IMHO a huge improvement.

Last edited:
I'm not sure the German factory is making them for the UK market, the Performance isn't released in the UK (I don't think) and for some reason UK gets LR Y's from Shanghai (when we don't).

In the end I don't care (although the German built cars are meant to have better suspension, better paint and now the better, like way better, seats) it is starting to add up the differences whereby the German built's Y's are vastly better.

I really do want to wait for the better seats, comparing my Model 3 Performance White seats to my wife's Model X...the X has SOOO much better seats...the new look seats on the German built Y look much closer to S/X seats, IMHO a huge improvement.
The recent MY deliveries in AU ride better than the demo cars that they had available for test drives in June. The demo on 19" tyres rode slightly harder than the M3 on 18", whereas the recent MY deliveries on 19" have more compliance and ride slightly better than an M3 on 18".

The recent MY deliveries in AU ride better than the demo cars that they had available for test drives in June. The demo on 19" tyres rode slightly harder than the M3 on 18", whereas the recent MY deliveries on 19" have more compliance and ride slightly better than an M3 on 18".

That's good to hear, but I'd have it as a guess (based on what I am seeing online) the German built Y's are getting decent dampners. Example, reports are coming out that the MYP with 21's from German has a softer ride than the MYLR with 20's from Shanghai.

But for me, it's the better seats I want.

Gimme the Seats....

1665630907729.png