Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MYP dropped to equivalent AU$82K in the US .. we get the MIC and pay AU$95K .. china pay even less around AU$77K and get them within weeks.
Feels like we are becoming a forgotten backwater to the Auto industry ( maybe it always was )
Yeah, and if you add GST, LCT and Stamp duty, the final price is within $AUD1-3k depending on your state. US prices have just been brought into line with our prices.

Yeah, and if you add GST, LCT and Stamp duty, the final price is within $AUD1-3k depending on your state. US prices have just been brought into line with our prices.
It doesn’t stack up with their responses to price drops ie Shanghai built cars and materials are cheaper and cost savings passed on, This country should have similar % drop in sales prices.

• Disagree
Reactions: Burnt Toast
It doesn’t stack up with their responses to price drops ie Shanghai built cars and materials are cheaper and cost savings passed on, This country should have similar % drop in sales prices.
We had a price drop a week ago. The US price drop just brought them to parity. It does stack up, because the maths stacks up. AU price is now just US price + tax. Last week US was paying more. Tesla has dropped prices in all territories. They say supply chain normalisation which is probably true, but also obviously to stimulate further demand. Why sell a million cars at 30% margin, when you can sell 1.5 million at 20% and in the future reduce your supply chain costs and maintain high margins? TSLA has the capacity now, with 4 huge factories to make way more cars. And it's economies of scale. The more they make, the cheaper it will be for them. Especially when they get control of raw materials, as they are starting to do.

We had a price drop a week ago. The US price drop just brought them to parity. It does stack up, because the maths stacks up. AU price is now just US price + tax. Last week US was paying more. Tesla has dropped prices in all territories. They say supply chain normalisation which is probably true, but also obviously to stimulate further demand. Why sell a million cars at 30% margin, when you can sell 1.5 million at 20% and in the future reduce your supply chain costs and maintain high margins? TSLA has the capacity now, with 4 huge factories to make way more cars. And it's economies of scale. The more they make, the cheaper it will be for them. Especially when they get control of raw materials, as they are starting to do.
I clearly remember when price dropped in Australia to almost what the original one was in June, people in this and other forums were saying “what a bargain it is to get the MYP at that price compared to the other countries in the world!”. Human nature makes it so that we only focus on the negative, so now we’re suddenly getting screwed.

I still believe there is room for them to drop the price on a similar % to Europe, same vehicles less transport costs, Australia has clearly been given a token to see the reaction on a small market.

I still believe there is room for them to drop the price on a similar % to Europe, same vehicles less transport costs, Australia has clearly been given a token to see the reaction on a small market.
I'm just surprised they did not drop the base Y a few dollars more so that it was eligible for the NSW rebate. I've read that right haven't I? It's just a bit too high.

Reactions: brend0s
I'm just surprised they did not drop the base Y a few dollars more so that it was eligible for the NSW rebate. I've read that right haven't I? It's just a bit too high.
Which rebate are we talking about? I'm in NSW, added White Interior, red paint and I still don't need to pay stamp duty. If I add one more option, a stamp duty of 3500 is added. Is there any other rebate?