Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The issue is one of timing, inevitably it seems. Buy now and things improve tomorrow. I just want in now with the MYP. Tomorrow never comes.
You’re telling me. I’ve been waiting to order a Model Y since February/March 2021 when Tesla released it in the US.

We went all throughout 2021 and half of 2022 before being able to order the Model Y, but then we’ve spent over 1/2 a year waiting for Tesla to deliver a car ordered on day one in Australia.

Who knows when we’re finally going to get the MYP tbh.

Looks like the cancellations on the M3 are starting to get to Tesla too. For the first time since the MY was released its back as the first car to order on their website and they have the "existing inventory" as the first option now.
Was bound to happen, sedan sales have been dying off for years in favour of SUVs.. I’m still surprised by how many still buy M3 sedan .. I guess it is the new Camry after all 😆

March at the latest. They’re not going to delay it again and they will need the numbers for eoq.
Fingers crossed you’re right that they won’t push it past March.

As Tesla in the Gong and Ludicrous Feed both pointed out on Twitter, it’s like Australia is in the naughty corner for some reason.

The UK MYP is showing a delivery schedule of 2 - 4 weeks for the MYP, which we all know comes from Shanghai, yet we’re still sitting a several month delays.

I kind of don't get it though. Why not buy something with the same size wheelbase but more room inside like the MY

Put simply, not everyone wants an SUV. It's why there is still a market for the C Class, 3 Series and so on.

The Model 3 has some advantages over the Y:

Better range/efficiency
Sportier drive
Better looking
Lower price
etc

Different aspects of these cars appeal to different people. All (or indeed none) of the above advantages may be of interest to each invididual.

Fingers crossed you’re right that they won’t push it past March.

As Tesla in the Gong and Ludicrous Feed both pointed out on Twitter, it’s like Australia is in the naughty corner for some reason.

The UK MYP is showing a delivery schedule of 2 - 4 weeks for the MYP, which we all know comes from Shanghai, yet we’re still sitting a several month delays.
At least for the UK you can say it's a much bigger country. NZ out of all places has a friken EDD of Jan 2023 for MY RWD and plenty in stock as well. Tesla really hates Australia 😭

At least for the UK you can say it's a much bigger country. NZ out of all places has a friken EDD of Jan 2023 for MY RWD and plenty in stock as well. Tesla really hates Australia 😭
All I'm going to say is that my EDD when I first ordered on the 17th of June last year was Feb-Mar.

If I go online and put in my configuration then the predicted due date is...Feb-Mar.

Literally no delivery time benefit from having ordered 7 months ago lol. To anybody thinking of ordering, do it! You've basically shaved 7 months off your waiting time.

Ordered MYP when they 1st appeared. Would have preferred LR for range, but Oz isn't important enough for Tesla to bring LR into as it's such a drastically different model they couldn't support it here - go figure!?
Of all the countries in the world that need long distance capable cars we don't qualify in Tesla's thinking - go figure again !?!?!.

Sick of waiting, if a competitor comes out with an obtainable car I'll ditch Tesla.
Price reduction worldwide is a joke as far as Oz goes - it's still the same as when I ordered it. Somehow they can reduce it up to %17 in other markets.. .
Oz Govt. slugs me with "luxury car tax" for a car that looks like a stripped down Lada. An S or X is a luxury car, not a 3 or Y.
Feeling very battered by the whole experience.

All I'm going to say is that my EDD when I first ordered on the 17th of June last year was Feb-Mar.

If I go online and put in my configuration then the predicted due date is...Feb-Mar.

Literally no delivery time benefit from having ordered 7 months ago lol. To anybody thinking of ordering, do it! You've basically shaved 7 months off your waiting time.
Damn really? Did you order MYP? I thought all the RWD were delivered by now for the June orders...

Anyways - wouldnt hold my break for that Feb-May EDD if the order was this month, god knows how accurate those things even are.

Damn really? Did you order MYP? I thought all the RWD were delivered by now for the June orders...

Anyways - wouldnt hold my break for that Feb-May EDD if the order was this month, god knows how accurate those things even are.
I ordered the RWD. All I changed from standard was the colour to Black.

And I hope that the EDD is accurate otherwise I'll be waiting over 12 months.

Last edited:

I echo your thoughts. No real benefit of ordering it way ahead in the queue so far. I know Tesla must have it's reasons, but feels unfair. Perhaps something to do with Tesla trying to sell as many cars as possible in (sizeable) markets where they expect serious competition. And surely AU is not that at the moment.

I echo your thoughts. No real benefit of ordering it way ahead in the queue so far. I know Tesla must have it's reasons, but feels unfair. Perhaps something to do with Tesla trying to sell as many cars as possible in (sizeable) markets where they expect serious competition. And surely AU is not that at the moment.

Don't forget though that Day 1 (and 2) orders were massive in the thousands with people who had been waiting for orders to open. It only took a few days for the first delivery tranches to fill up so, yes, there are still people with June orders that haven't been fulfilled. Since June the order numbers have been good but nothing like that first week so the delivery tranches have filled more slowly. You either had to be in the first week or could order at any time - or live in WA. There were some people who ordered in Feb-May tranche in WA who got their cars last year because there was space on a direct to Fremantle ship and they filled it up.

Reactions: krylonos