TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Australian Number Plates

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by Bennny, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Bennny

Bennny Member

G'day Folks,

What number plate style has everyone been using to fill up the spaces - slimline/euro/standard/other?

Does the MS arrive in Oz with the holes pre-drilled?

2. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Standard size front and rear

I remanufactured mine. The front fits Tesla exactly and the rear has been double sided taped on. Front was drilled since the holes were in the correct position.

3. Mark E

Mark E Member

NSW Premium plates fit perfectly

4. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

#4 meloccom, Jan 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
    I got the "Tech" style, seemed appropriate and fits the plate mount on the front of Models S perfectly.
    image.jpg
    Both plates attached with car grade double sided tape but degrease the front plate mount first as there is an oily film on it that prevented the first attempt from staying on properly.

5. mhh

mhh Member

Does the front plate plinth come already fitted ex-factory? I have shorter plates I might fit and I'd prefer plinth overhang.

6. Mark E

Mark E Member

The mounting holes on the front plates line up perfectly and Tesla screwed them on with colour matching screws. The rear needed drilling, ie the plate, not the car, and Tesla did this for me.

7. MangroveMike

MangroveMike Member

Similar process for me. I screwed and taped the front as the front plate put on by Tesla fell off!
    I went for Tribal - the red went well with the car. Same as tech plates size.
    image.jpg image.jpg

8. meloccom

#8 meloccom, Jan 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
    I recall seeing some discussion in other U.S. areas of this forum where people asked for the plate mount not to be fitted.
    You would need to contact Tesla well ahead of delivery to have that option. I was thinking of asking for it to be left off but forgot to ask, however I think I'm happy with the look of the mount.

9. Bennny

Bennny Member

So, when the MS arrives in Australia:

1) The front number plate location is perfectly smooth, with no holes. Tesla Australia attaches a number plate mount to the vehicle, and the number plate attaches to this mount with double sided tape.
    2) The rear number plate location has holes pre drilled.

I'd like to have no mounts, no screws, no plates. Prefer to have some stickers made up, to look exactly like my number plate, which would give a much cleaner and smoother finish.

10. doctorwho

doctorwho Member

I looked into stickers with a previous car and at that time they weren't legal

11. Bennny

Bennny Member

I wonder:

1) How much the fine is
    2) The likelihood of getting caught, assuming the sticker looks identical to an actual plate

Zagame Lamborghini currently have an Aventador on their showroom floor with stickers for number plates. Presumably, a lamborghini owner can pay whatever the fine is....

12. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

In NSW, i think the reason is that the numbers have to be reflective so that they can catch you on their candid cameras!! Probably the same applies in Vic. Tesla told me by phone when about to deliver my car that the front plate holes lined up perfectly with the holes in the plate mount. They wanted to drill my rear plate to suit the Tesla hole position, which i declined and the rears were taped on. So far, no problems.

13. mhh

mhh Member

Good news about the front,bummer about the back. I'm wondering the best way to stop them fitting the front mount. Murphy's Law says any request not to will be overlooked.

No stick on plates for me though. 3 demerit points in SA.

14. jakevanle

jakevanle Member

My Kids picked mine, Madeleine and Elizabeth. Fits good in the back, I had to drill out two holes in the number plate in the middle, in the front it didnt fit well, its a bit big, but i did not have to drill, the screw holes lined up. The girls love it so i dont really care :)

IMG_4158.JPG

Attached Files:

15. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

cute kids!

16. jakevanle

jakevanle Member

thanks.... I am in family court at the moment, its horrible! can't even talk about it....

hopefully it will be sorted soon

17. Dylanpete

Dylanpete Member

Mangrovemike,
    That's a nice choice you made, fits very well with the car indeed!

18. mhh

mhh Member

Linda has arranged for my car to be delivered without the numberplate mount so I can choose a smaller plate and attach it directly on to the car if I wish. She is great to deal with!

My earlier post made no sense. I'm actually trying to avoid the mounting plate overhanging the front plate.

19. timpoo

timpoo Member

Hi guys I'm getting a new plate - does anyone know the best way to remove the existing plate that has been stuck on with double sided tape? I don't want to damage underneath.

20. meloccom

#20 meloccom, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
    For house grade double sided tape, floss will cut through the foam inter layer, but car grade double sided is a lot stronger.
    Using the thinnest flat blade screwdriver, identify the taped areas and try and split the DS tape by pushing the screwdriver into the inter layer of the tape.
    Don't try and do it all at once, just work on one side until you can start to tilt the plate to get in further. If that's not enough progress to the next larger screwdriver.
    I used this technique to remove the e-Tag from my old car and it worked pretty well and avoided scratches.
    Alternately you could ask Tesla to do it. :cool: