Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Number Plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's my plate mounted direcly to the car. The mounting bracket is still in the frunk. :)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 317
Apologies on reviving a slightly old thread.

I fitted some custom plates to my Tesla S today.

The car came with the plates stuck on with heaps of double sided tape.

After getting the old standard plates off. I didn't want to use that same method again as I would much prefer screws holding the plate in place. The details doing the plate may also need to take them off at some stage as well.

So I drilled two holes into the rear back aluminium to hold the plate. I used a plate cover that hides the screws and it looks fine.

The screws I used were black and apparent zinc coated screws (not stainless).

The reason for posting this, was because the person who supplied me with the license plate covers (some random retailer - LAKIN PLATES Tasmania) abused me on the phone after I told him I had drilled two holes into my Tesla's rear to mount the plates neatly.

Why is it such a crime to drill to small holes to mount the plate? Should I be sealing these holes with anything?

I am confused why someone would abuse me (his name was Phillip and he apparently owned a Model S as well) I think he was offended that someone didn't respect the car (in his opinion) enough to just drill holes into.

The car is currently being detailed and the paint being re-buffed and polished after the car arrived with swirl marks from the factory.

Apologies on reviving a slightly old thread.

I fitted some custom plates to my Tesla S today.

The car came with the plates stuck on with heaps of double sided tape.

After getting the old standard plates off. I didn't want to use that same method again as I would much prefer screws holding the plate in place. The details doing the plate may also need to take them off at some stage as well.

So I drilled two holes into the rear back aluminium to hold the plate. I used a plate cover that hides the screws and it looks fine.

The screws I used were black and apparent zinc coated screws (not stainless).

The reason for posting this, was because the person who supplied me with the license plate covers (some random retailer - LAKIN PLATES Tasmania) abused me on the phone after I told him I had drilled two holes into my Tesla's rear to mount the plates neatly.

Why is it such a crime to drill to small holes to mount the plate? Should I be sealing these holes with anything?

I am confused why someone would abuse me (his name was Phillip and he apparently owned a Model S as well) I think he was offended that someone didn't respect the car (in his opinion) enough to just drill holes into.

The car is currently being detailed and the paint being re-buffed and polished after the car arrived with swirl marks from the factory.

Hopefully this gentleman from Tasmania doesn't own a Tesla, because I would be dissapointed to think that a Tesla owner is bagging out another Tesla owner on a Tesla forum.

Hopefully this gentleman from Tasmania doesn't own a Tesla, because I would be dissapointed to think that a Tesla owner is bagging out another Tesla owner on a Tesla forum.

I think the forum is a place where people can ask questions and share feedback and experiences. I am legitimately not sure what I did wrong by drilling holes that are hidden.