Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Number Plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Better solution, less likely to damage anything. Go get some fishing trace wire - it is very thin, strong AND plastic coated. cut yourself a decent length and make loops/grips at each end, and you can use this exactly like dental floss. The plastic coating will prevent any scratching!! You should be able to find a reel of it in K Mart. (or, of course, any tackle shop). You can get the lighter weight one, they come in different breaking strains.
I use the stuff for other things too, such as hanging paintings/pictures.
I also purchase the swages to go with the wire and crimp them when I need to make a fixed loop such as when hanging a painting. Mind you, i also use it for other things as well. But then, i am a tinkerer!!

For house grade double sided tape, floss will cut through the foam inter layer, but car grade double sided is a lot stronger.
Using the thinnest flat blade screwdriver, identify the taped areas and try and split the DS tape by pushing the screwdriver into the inter layer of the tape.
Don't try and do it all at once, just work on one side until you can start to tilt the plate to get in further. If that's not enough progress to the next larger screwdriver.
I used this technique to remove the e-Tag from my old car and it worked pretty well and avoided scratches.
Alternately you could ask Tesla to do it. :cool:

Thanks! I will try it.

Hi guys I'm getting a new plate - does anyone know the best way to remove the existing plate that has been stuck on with double sided tape? I don't want to damage underneath.

G'day Timpoo, Congratulations ! At long last ! Fully approve of your colour choice, although, prefer (being biased) Sig Red !

Are you talking about the front plate, on the Tesla supplied mount, or the rear, on the duco ? At registration, did Vicroads make you take an 'everyday (next)', plate ? Was your 'new' plate not available ? A shame that you now have to go to all the hassle of removing something that was done yesterday !

Having arranged my own personal plate years ago, so far as I'm concerned, that's the ONLY plate going on ! Slimline on the front mount, larger American style on the rear. Rgds, John.

G'day Timpoo, Congratulations ! At long last ! Fully approve of your colour choice, although, prefer (being biased) Sig Red !

Are you talking about the front plate, on the Tesla supplied mount, or the rear, on the duco ? At registration, did Vicroads make you take an 'everyday (next)', plate ? Was your 'new' plate not available ? A shame that you now have to go to all the hassle of removing something that was done yesterday !

Having arranged my own personal plate years ago, so far as I'm concerned, that's the ONLY plate going on ! Slimline on the front mount, larger American style on the rear. Rgds, John.

Hi John

We only realised we'd need a custom plate once we saw how bad the standard one looked next to the Brown!!! That's why we're going through the hassle of ordering one and putting it on :)

NSW Custom Plate Size

I'm going to order a custom plate for my new Model S. I had thought that the US size would be fun (as the car is designed and built in California, and these look a bit like Californian plates) but I've been advised that the premium plates look best as they have the smaller front plate.

Before I hit the button, though.... opinions please! :)

I'm going to order a custom plate for my new Model S. I had thought that the US size would be fun (as the car is designed and built in California, and these look a bit like Californian plates) but I've been advised that the premium plates look best as they have the smaller front plate.

Before I hit the button, though.... opinions please! :)

I personally like small plates. Colour coded is good if available. Only issue sometimes is if too small it may not cover the screw holes.

I got Euro custom plates, slim for the front and normal for the rear (euro plates are wider).

Some photos:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 242
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 193
How they look is purely subjective but the plate mount on Australian Model S is designed specifically for the Australian sized plate.
Tesla have their own in-house plastics moulding facility so this was an easy adaption for them.
I haven't seen them but if the USA style plate is a different size it will probably not fit neatly on the Australian plate mount.
I would imagine that Tesla Australia could order you a USA plate mount if you went that route.
This is an earlier thread where we discussed different plate styles and mounting options. Number Plates

Update:
Threads merged.

Last edited:
Thanks meloccom. I just checked and I think you're right, the NSW US style plate is the same size front and back and doesn't have the small front plate option. Thanks for highlighting the other thread; I hadn't discovered it in searching. So I think I'll be going with a premium plate.

I have custom NSW plates, same size front and rear. Front fits perfectly on the Tesla supplied mount, no overlap. Rears I elected to have mounted with double sided tape, no screws, so no scratching of the paint in the mounting holes and so no corrosion risk. Also, you don't see silver screw heads. My plates are red to match the car. I think they look good, but, of course, that is entirely subjective.

- - - Updated - - -

How they look is purely subjective but the plate mount on Australian Model S is designed specifically for the Australian sized plate.
Tesla have their own in-house plastics moulding facility so this was an easy adaption for them.
I haven't seen them but if the USA style plate is a different size it will probably not fit neatly on the Australian plate mount.
I would imagine that Tesla Australia could order you a USA plate mount if you went that route.
This is an earlier thread where we discussed different plate styles and mounting options. Number Plates

Update:
Threads merged.
you are correct about the in house plastics Moulder, I saw it when I was there. However, I was surprised at how much is outsourced. All the plastics for the dash trims, leather or otherwise plus the centre console are made in Turkey of all places! The dash consists of plastic substrates covered with a veneer with leather, carbon fibre, wood, etc.