Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian smart charging trial prepares for EV growth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Australian smart charging trial prepares for EV growth - ARENAWIRE

upload_2020-11-18_17-31-46.png

It would be great to hear how this pans out. Anyone here going to sign up?
According to WhichCar the only models we can buy with VTG are the Gen 2 Nissan Leaf and 2021 Mitsubishi PHEV so if Tesla is your only EV (like our household currently) you don't get to play.

AGL are on my naughty not nice list so have boycotted them for some years now. VTG isn't new and AGL doesn't own any grid so if that's their justification for this trial I sense this is greenwashing.

Chademo is the only standard that currently supports V2G.
Still only on a roadmap for CCS and not expected for a few years.

Tend to agree it's a bit of greenwashing - not a huge number of cars are consistently home when the sun is actually shining, but someone has to do trials to develop products.

Personal think as batteries get cheaper then that will be a better choice for most households - particularly if you say have modular systems in say 5kWh units

Reactions: strykeroz
V2G is nice in theory, but I doubt it'll be popular for a very long time.

But smart throttling is handy. Basically controlled load 2, but maybe with a few extra bells and whistles. Curtail charging when the local power grid is stressed, or during peak usage periods in general, or when you think there's going to be a massive surplus shortly (e.g. dawn with clear sunny weather forecast) but leave the electrons to free flow at other hours.

Reactions: Techno-phile