Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autel 50 amp MaxiCharge for Tesla Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the correction. I was not aware the internal charging on a Tesla works like this. In the case of my Autel. There is a phone app that connects to it through wifi that lets me adjust incriments in current. The concern for me which might be unfounded is that if I install a 35 amp max setup, someone in the future, or even myself could accidentally set charging to 48 amps causing overheating of the run. Also I wanted to be covered for the future in case the demands are more.
In one post I read, a poster commented Tesla doesn't need a 'smart' charger because the car itself figures it all out, so i seem to have some redundancy in having an adjustable smart charger hooked to a Tesla.
No, the car does not figure it out, you configure the Tesla wall connector, similarly to how you're configuring the Autel. It's just that the Tesla wall connector only has specific choices rather than accepting an arbitrary value. I've never heard of it spontaneously reverting to a higher amperage, and I would hope your Autel would not do so, either.

Just to confuse things further, You can configure the car to draw a specific amperage which it remembers on a per location basis. This is great, but issues with GPS and software updates have caused that limit to be ignored unexpectedly, so it's not good to rely on it for daily charging.

Reactions: Rocky_H
No, the car does not figure it out, you configure the Tesla wall connector, similarly to how you're configuring the Autel. It's just that the Tesla wall connector only has specific choices rather than accepting an arbitrary value. I've never heard of it spontaneously reverting to a higher amperage, and I would hope your Autel would not do so, either.
Thanks for that clarification. Not sure if the Autel could be set in the app to a higher current on a lower gauge wire. I don't see how it would know the difference if a person decided to play with it. Maybe the same as flipping the wrong dip switches on the Tesla charger. I mean, if someone inexperienced installed it and set it to the max on a low amperage circuit I wondwer what would happen?

Just to confuse things further, You can configure the car to draw a specific amperage which it remembers on a per location basis. This is great, but issues with GPS and software updates have caused that limit to be ignored unexpectedly, so it's not good to rely on it for daily charging.
No confusion here and I appreciate your help. I will keep this in mind. Maybe they will fix that when they update our radar replacement which seems like a work around.😗

Thanks for that clarification. Not sure if the Autel could be set in the app to a higher current on a lower gauge wire. I don't see how it would know the difference if a person decided to play with it. Maybe the same as flipping the wrong dip switches on the Tesla charger. I mean, if someone inexperienced installed it and set it to the max on a low amperage circuit I wondwer what would happen?
I'm pretty confident it would accept the new setting, and hopefully trip the breaker before causing a fire. The best I can suggest if you're really concerned is to add some labeling on the electrical box or on your EVSE so that a future owner (or a future you) will know what the limit should be.

Reactions: starise
So I had a few misconceptions you guys helped me figure out, but if I try to type it in a sensible way I might make it even more confusing, even though I get it in my grey matter.

One of my misconceptions was the current limits of #6 wire. It's actually higher than I thought for THHN, allowing me to use a 60 amp breaker AND charge at 48amps safely.
Caveats for a successful run.- YES- #6 THHN in either conduit or as MC. is required for the 48 amps charge.

NO- 6-3 Romex WILL NOT allow a 48 amp charge since the rating conflicts with breaker requirements, however it can be ok for lesser amperages.

I just ordered a 50' roll of 6-2 WG MC 90c/140F rating. This would be acceptable for an attic run and won't be exposed in the garage as much. Should make the run easier, and will allow a 60 amp breaker charging at 48 amps since the wire is THHN.

I might provide pics when I start it if it helps someone else.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I have a 50 amp Autel charger capable of 48 amp charging I originally bought to use with a different EV.
I have electrical wiring experience.
In order to be compliant with code here, and in order to get the full 48 amps, I need a 60 amp breaker and 4 gauge wire. I can also lower my charging expectations and use 6# wire and a 50 amp breaker but that limits me to around 35 amps instead of 48. I would then lower this rate using the Autel app to 35 amps. To me this seemed a waste if I could have full 48 amp charging ability.
My questions are-

Is there a disadvantage to battery life charging at 48 amps .vs charging at the lower 35 amps? Or should I even charge lower for battery health?

I guess the plug type on the Autel is a more 'typical' EV plug and I have read I might need a Tesla adapter to use this charger to charge a 2023 Model Y LR. Can you tell me if Tesla provides this adapter?, or will I need to buy it?, and if so is there a certain type or product of adapter I should look for?
Thanks.
This model MaxiCharger Home 50A AC Hardwired EV Charger is a 240V-50 Amp Level 2 EV Smart Charger was on sale on Amazon (lightning deal plus coupon) for $359 so I bought one last week. Without providing manual/specs, I told two electricians that I'd like the max output of 50a. Both recommended 70a circuit breakers and #4 wire. The unit got installed last Thursday within the specs. However, I noticed that the output is only at 48a and not 50a as stated on the manual. There is an adjustable setting for desired amp output and it is set to 50a right now. I know it's just 2a difference, but I purchased it for the max output and of course the sale price.

I called Autel CS today, but was not helpful in the explanation on why I could not get the max 50a as advertised using correct breaker amperage and wire gauge.

Any one here only getting 48a with 70a breaker/ #4 wire set up?

This model MaxiCharger Home 50A AC Hardwired EV Charger is a 240V-50 Amp Level 2 EV Smart Charger was on sale on Amazon (lightning deal plus coupon) for $359 so I bought one last week. Without providing manual/specs, I told two electricians that I'd like the max output of 50a. Both recommended 70a circuit breakers and #4 wire. The unit got installed last Thursday within the specs. However, I noticed that the output is only at 48a and not 50a as stated on the manual. There is an adjustable setting for desired amp output and it is set to 50a right now. I know it's just 2a difference, but I purchased it for the max output and of course the sale price.

I called Autel CS today, but was not helpful in the explanation on why I could not get the max 50a as advertised using correct breaker amperage and wire gauge.

Any one here only getting 48a with 70a breaker/ #4 wire set up?

You don't say which car you have, but all of the modern Tesla cars have a max charge rate of 48a. Some the older models S/X could charge at 72a and 80a.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the Autel charging cable will hook into the base with the Tesla adapter on or do I have to put it on each time I charge. Big pain if I have to keep the adapter with me all the time. Thanks.
If the Autel EVSE is outdoors you will want to take the Tesla J1772 adapter with you so no one can walk off with it. If in a garage you can leave the Tesla J1772 attached to the Autel J1772 charging connector, as you suspected you won't be able to latch the Tesla J1772 adapter to the holder on the Autel. You can use a cable hanger for the charging cable. That is what I do as I have a similar setup that uses the AmazingE Fast charging station to charge my LRMY at home. There are many different types of Tesla connector holders for sale on Amazon, Etsy, other sites.

If the Autel EVSE is outdoors you will want to take the Tesla J1772 adapter with you so no one can walk off with it. If in a garage you can leave the Tesla J1772 attached to the Autel J1772 charging connector, as you suspected you won't be able to latch the Tesla J1772 adapter to the holder on the Autel. You can use a cable hanger for the charging cable. That is what I do as I have a similar setup that uses the AmazingE Fast charging station to charge my LRMY at home. There are many different types of Tesla connector holders for sale on Amazon, Etsy, other sites.
Good to know and that is a good idea to get a separate hanger. Thanks!

You don't say which car you have, but all of the modern Tesla cars have a max charge rate of 48a. Some the older models S/X could charge at 72a and 80a.
Yes I set mine to 48amps. He'll be future proofed at least.

I planned to go simple and just drape the cord over the hanger. Removing the adapter often often probably isn't advisable. I mean you probably could but it's more wear and tear on the connectors. If there's a J1772 hanger out there all the better. I like the Autel because now I can charge almost any EV with it. Sorry I should have made this more clear in my write up. Not a deal breaker for me. Maybe for someone else it would be,
my setup- Charger Install With Pics

Reactions: justlikeyours
I have been using chargepoint flex and the max set to 48 on a 60amp breaker... I have a 6awg wire. the township gave the permit without any issues.
according to charge point website, (wiring terminal is rated to 105˚C and accepts a maximum of 16 mm2 (6 AWG) wire.)

Yes I set mine to 48amps. He'll be future proofed at least.

I planned to go simple and just drape the cord over the hanger. Removing the adapter often often probably isn't advisable. I mean you probably could but it's more wear and tear on the connectors. If there's a J1772 hanger out there all the better. I like the Autel because now I can charge almost any EV with it. Sorry I should have made this more clear in my write up. Not a deal breaker for me. Maybe for someone else it would be,
my setup- Charger Install With Pics
Good point on the possible connector wear and tear. I just leave the adaptor connected. I ordered a second just to keep in the Y in case I need it during travels.

Not being disagreeable, but going back to ohm's law I find these rules odd. Aside from the temperature and shielding characteristics of the various wires, to me copper is copper and a said size 'should' carry the same current. Here is something I c/p'd from the web that mirrors your comments.

Can 6 AWG carry 60 amps?

60 amp wire size is either 6 AWG or 4 AWG wire (AWG stands for American Wire Gauge; standard wire sizing is the US) for 220V voltage. An amateur will use a 6 AWG wire size for 60 amp 220V. A professional will always use 4 AWG wire size for 60 amp 220V.

I don't want to throw this off. I understand we are only discussing 48 amps max. HOWEVER to maintain the correct percentage of allowable load by most local codes, we would then need a 60 amp breaker. You are saying I only need A if I use B. I get that different a wire type may be more resiliant to certain conditions. No matter what the wire size is, a loose or bad connection will produce heat at the location because it has the same effect as reducing wire size. Bad contact at maximum amperage will always overheat. Overheating is what I want to avoid even if it's more expensive in the end ;)

What the rule you quoted seems to imply is a wire in conduit is safer, therefore it's ok to make it smaller and not worry about increased heat at higher currents.🤔.

Thanks for the correction. I was not aware the internal charging on a Tesla works like this. In the case of my Autel. There is a phone app that connects to it through wifi that lets me adjust incriments in current. The concern for me which might be unfounded is that if I install a 35 amp max setup, someone in the future, or even myself could accidentally set charging to 48 amps causing overheating of the run. Also I wanted to be covered for the future in case the demands are more.
In one post I read, a poster commented Tesla doesn't need a 'smart' charger because the car itself figures it all out, so i seem to have some redundancy in having an adjustable smart charger hooked to a Tesla.
I realize this is an older thread, but for anyone coming along now the reason different types of wire have different temperature ratings, and different ampacity, is not the copper wire. It is the type of insulation. NM-B wire has a lower temperature rating due to the fact that the current carrying conductors are very close together and are then wrapped with an outer plastic insulation sheath that does not dissipate heat as well as if the wire is placed in conduit. But the wires in NM-B cable are actually THHN wire.

When individual THHN/THWN-2 wires are placed in conduit, or inside an MC cable, the wire is able to more easily dissipate the heat that is generated when current is passed through the wires. Most wire made to day has multiple ratings and is rated for at least THHN and THWN-2.

Hope this helps.