Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

auth.tesla.com

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sir Guacamolaf

The good kind of fat
Mar 15, 2016
Not in a Tesla
I don't know if anyone noticed, but the browser based mytesla now uses a site called auth.tesla.com and OpenIDConnect/OAuthV2 to authenticate you. Earlier this used to be simple OAuthv2 at my.teslamotors.com/user/login

Why would Tesla externalize authentication to a separate auth provider? The only reasonable explanation is to reuse "Tesla identity" beyond the two services it officially offers - the Tesla app, and the Tesla website.

Are they planning on opening some of the API or identity to third party apps? I'm betting they are.
And this would be a heckuva cool value-add to Tesla at a very low cost. Something they should have done a VERY long time ago.

When? Is anyone's guess.

• Informative
Reactions: CliffG and msnow
I don't know if anyone noticed, but the browser based mytesla now uses a site called auth.tesla.com and OpenIDConnect/OAuthV2 to authenticate you. Earlier this used to be simple OAuthv2 at my.teslamotors.com/user/login

Why would Tesla externalize authentication to a separate auth provider? The only reasonable explanation is to reuse "Tesla identity" beyond the two services it officially offers - the Tesla app, and the Tesla website.

Are they planning on opening some of the API or identity to third party apps? I'm betting they are.
And this would be a heckuva cool value-add to Tesla at a very low cost. Something they should have done a VERY long time ago.

When? Is anyone's guess.

3rd-party apps would be consistent with the sketch pad Easter egg and the fact that a new update's coming.

Disclaimer: I don't know a lot about OAuth, et al.

Maybe they just thought it'd be cleaner (as per @blastum's comment above), or it's more secure to have all the authorization / authentication stuff on a separate server. While the prospect of opening up ... something to third-party developers is exciting, I don't think we can infer that from the change that you described. Basically don't get your expectations up, lest they not get met.

Bruce.

OAuth is token based access.
You authenticate - and get a ticket, and using that ticket you gain access.
And then there are other details around renewing that ticket, or gaining access to other resources without having to re-auth etc.

OAuth doesn't need to be implemented by the resource (such as mytesla), but it can be.
The only reason to separate it out (which actually makes it less secure), is to intend to use it against more than one resource.

Since they have gone through the effort of separating it out to auth.tesla.com, it is a very reasonable assumption that they intend to use it against more than one resource.

That more than one resource could be Tesla owned, or maybe they want to open it up to third party devs - who knows!

But certainly, this rolling computer on wheels + cloud based apps, is a huge untapped potential.
I'd love to see a Tesla channel in IFTTT for instance,
- As I leave for work, start the sprinkler system.
- As I get closer, heat the home.
- When I'm 10 mins away, SMS "honey I'm home"
- Save my driving logs to onedrive automatically

Problem is, there is another computer sitting in your pocket, competing for these scenarios.
So I am at a loss of ideas around what Tesla could do here.