Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto adjusting cruise to current speed limit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Three part question:

1) Am I missing it somewhere? Can the cruise control not automatically adjust when a new speed zone is identified? The manual seems to indicate "no", but there's been several points I've found where the manual doesn't meet with reality so I figured I'd ask.

2) Assuming "no" above, is there a reason *not* to develop such a feature? Safety, etc... something I'm not thinking about. I'm pretty sure I can implement a method for auto adjusting, but just because I can... doesn't mean I "should". I don't understand why they wouldn't, but likely there's a reason I'm not immediately recognizing.

3) Any interest if I can/should/do? It shouldn't be to hard or expensive to accomplish, and I think I can do it entirely passively. Of course I need to bust out my analyzer before I know for sure but wanted some initial feedback first.

Interesting thought...
I've been using my adaptive cruise the past few days, but really didn't notice when changing speed zones :-( One reason against is to keep the driver engaged in aware of "what has been set". For instance, in adaptive cruse, you set the "upper limit". I think an auto-adjustment above the limit might create confusion and/or cause some level of panic. AP2.0 has been super impressive, so much so, I must constantly remind myself "Beta" and no matter what, I"m responsible.

Interesting thought...
I've been using my adaptive cruise the past few days, but really didn't notice when changing speed zones :-( One reason against is to keep the driver engaged in aware of "what has been set". For instance, in adaptive cruse, you set the "upper limit". I think an auto-adjustment above the limit might create confusion and/or cause some level of panic. AP2.0 has been super impressive, so much so, I must constantly remind myself "Beta" and no matter what, I"m responsible.
Thank you. Personally, I think the "I'm responsible" mantra is overriding. No matter what tool one is using - be it Tesla's build-in methods or some aftermarket implementation... it is just a tool for the driver to use. Nothing more.

I was, frankly, a little shocked when I noticed it not changing the speeds. I just assumed it would. What is the point of being "aware" if it isn't going to adjust? But maybe that's just me.

I realize all it takes is a pull/hold (something not covered int he manual, BTW) of the handle to update to the speed... but I personally think it should automatically adjust, or at least have that option.

Thanks for your input.

My understanding was that if you are only using TACC, then the speed limit related setting was only for when you first engage TACC. if the limit changes, the set speed does not change.

I never use AP on anything except the freeway, but I thought it automatically changed speed with the limit changes when engaged - in fact I thought that was the reason many were unhappy in the early days before they could set the delta above the limit - they were worried about slowing down to a new limit and being hit from behind.

Two pictures showing the automatic speed adjustment :

TACC and Autosteer ON, Speed sign 60 km/h, Max Speed 60 km/h, current Speed 60 km/h

tacc-60-png.242083

Speed sign changed to 50 km/h,
Message "Speed limited to 50 km/h with TACC/Autosteer" (German:"Lenkassistent-Geschwindigkeit auf 50 km/h begrenzt")
Max Speed changed to 50 km/h and current Speed automatically adjusted to 50 km/h

tacc-50-png.242084

My understand is it goes to X above the limit when starting, and then, right, it's up to you. Unless following someone....

The sign on the dash shows the new limit, but it won't *go* there, it's Traffic Aware CC, not Speed Limit Aware CC. (Meaning always doing SL + X).

Edit: The manual isn't always current to the second, but the PDF does show this:

upload_2017-9-26_17-2-53.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-26_17-2-41.png
    upload_2017-9-26_17-2-41.png
    50.2 KB · Views: 75
If you pull towards you and hold for a second or so, it'll jump to the new limit (plus whatever offset you have set.)

Right now, it only adjusts automatically when in AP, and only downwards, and only on non-divided roads (based on GPS) - in those cases it limits to 5 mph over, and adjusts down as needed to comply with that - and back up when the limit increases if and only if it was initially set higher.

The original AP demonstration included adjusting to match limits, but they've never given us software that does beyond the AP limit on undivided roads. I expect this will change at some point in the future, but right now the speed limit detection isn't as reliable as I'd like for that feature anyway.

• Helpful
Reactions: DKPowers
2) Assuming "no" above, is there a reason *not* to develop such a feature? Safety, etc... something I'm not thinking about. I'm pretty sure I can implement a method for auto adjusting, but just because I can... doesn't mean I "should". I don't understand why they wouldn't, but likely there's a reason I'm not immediately recognizing.

Well, there are times when my car thinks I'm driving in a 50 zone (or a 10 zone) when I'm actually on a 100 km/h highway. I'd prefer it not to auto-adjust in those cases. I have not found the speed limit sign recognition (or database, however it's driven) to be infallible in my experience.

There are also times, usually when transitioning down from highway to city roads, where the speed limit steps down from 100 to 90 to 80, but traffic continues on at 100. Being the only one slowing down could be...uncomfortable.

Logic could be implemented to address that. Off the top of my head... it could beep before auto-adjusting and allow you to cancel when you see that they've mis-identified a sign. So far, I've never seen that happen, but I've only been driving it for a couple of days. So far, it has been spot on with reading the signs (or whatever it is doing).

In that 100-90-80 scenario you mention... if you prefer to go 100 in those situations then I would suggest this feature wouldn't be for you. But I'm not suggesting Tesla do this and force it on us. I'm saying for those that DO want it to auto adjust from 100 to 90 to 80 (or vice versa), that the option should be there and I believe I can implement it.

I personally don't give a rat's behind if someone behind me wants to speed. That's their issue. I'm concerned about my own tickets.

Hmm... could probably also tie into the GPS tagging (like how it remembers when to adjust suspension) and auto-ignore certain would-be changes.

Build a fancy learning system - it defaults to responding to the signs, but it remembers when you override it, and after the second time you override a location, it stops adjusting there for your driver profile... :)

Reactions: boaterva
Build a fancy learning system - it defaults to responding to the signs, but it remembers when you override it, and after the second time you override a location, it stops adjusting there for your driver profile... :)
Good suggestion. As long as I can get the gps tagging method, it can be done using only built in equipment and routines, which really keeps the cost down. If that data gets reported on the CAN network in some identifiable way, it'll be easy. If it is on the ethernet, then not so much. It is probably on ethernet due to the size of a coordinate package. I'll check when my parts show up.