Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto-Closing Charge port door - does anyone outside the US have it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Model S drivers,

last week I made a test drive in a Model S 85D, just to encounter the charge port was still open when I was on the Autobahn (nowhere close to a possible stop).

Does anyone outside the United States have the auto-closing charge port door?

I ask because I thought all Dual Motor Model S would have it. Unfortunately, the european Dual Motor Model S seem to still NOT have it, months after it was announced that all Dual Motor Model S will have it.

When you really DO have a self-closing charge port door and live outside of the United States, especially in europe, please post what type of Model S you have, what country / location you're in and delivery date.

Thank you!

Not sure that count, but Canadian Model S have them. While some might say that we Canadian get the US car w/different software (DRL always on for example), it's not 100% true.

There are a couple of physical differences : airbag stickers, seat belt buckle (red), immobilizer config (not sure but I remember reading that we don't get the same remotes), child seats anchors, etc.

I was a bit shocked when I got a 60kWh loaner the other day with the old style charge port. The loaner was brand new but I guess this new charge port is on "D" only.

Not sure that count, but Canadian Model S have them. While some might say that we Canadian get the US car w/different software (DRL always on for example), it's not 100% true.

There are a couple of physical differences : airbag stickers, seat belt buckle (red), immobilizer config (not sure but I remember reading that we don't get the same remotes), child seats anchors, etc.

I was a bit shocked when I got a 60kWh loaner the other day with the old style charge port. The loaner was brand new but I guess this new charge port is on "D" only.
In HK, seems no auto closing port as well, 70D, :(

AFAIK cars that have the US-style charging port, have the motorised port. This includes all of North America but also Japan.

Cars that have the EU-style charging port have the original non-motorised one. Last I heard there was no plan to remedy this difference - the official position is that there's no room to add the motor in cars with Type 2 sockets since the socket is too big.

So I assume my automated charging snake will not only have to be able to plug and unplug but it will also have to be able to gently push my chargeport door closed when it's finished.

So I assume my automated charging snake will not only have to be able to plug and unplug but it will also have to be able to gently push my chargeport door closed when it's finished.

That's the only practical application for it as far as I can tell. My old car doesn't have the motorized close. Does anyone here with the auto-closing port feel they would miss it if it were gone?

...Does anyone here with the auto-closing port feel they would miss it if it were gone?
Well, since it's all I've ever known, and I tend to unplug and plug my HPWC back in at least once a day, having the full automation has become what my muscle memory is used to and honestly, knowing it will take care of itself, I just unplug, hang up my HPWC and keep on walking into my home. If I got to vote, I'd say keep it. ...besides, it's one of the little things I've gotten more than one "oooh, that's cool" comments from others that see it happen.

That's the only practical application for it as far as I can tell. My old car doesn't have the motorized close. Does anyone here with the auto-closing port feel they would miss it if it were gone?

After having non-closing on my last MS for 2.5 years and now having it on the new one, I am still trying to "train" myself to not instinctively pull cable out and close the door. Didn't even know I was getting the feature on the new one, so it was a nice surprise, but I can't say that I would care either way. Now... when there's a robo-snake-charger installed in my garage someday.. this may be a very different conversation.

After nearly 3 years and 60k miles, I would say it's no big deal, except for that time I realized the charge port was open as I was entering the freeway. But I think Tesla has fixed the bug that would re-open the charge port after you close it and get into the driver's seat.

While I would like the auto-closing door, it's not too bad without it. Just annoying when you move out of a Supercharger spot to a parking space nearby and the door opens every time someone tries to plug/unplug their cars!

Not having auto closing on my Signature S, I repeatedly (yes, it looks like I'm not trainable) got in the car only to have to exit again and close the port. When I heard the new port would close itself, I felt that was one more reason (out of several hundred, I suppose) that I wanted to upgrade.

I would definitely miss it.

It is easy to say that it's no big deal, but it is so NICE that it closes the door for me. Isn't that the reason we invented self closing doors in the first place? I think I would ask people, probably after they had tried both systems, how much they would give to upgrade just the charge port. I would not be surprised that some would value it highly. To have it come as gravy is extra nice.

Not having auto closing on my Signature S, I repeatedly (yes, it looks like I'm not trainable) got in the car only to have to exit again and close the port. When I heard the new port would close itself, I felt that was one more reason (out of several hundred, I suppose) that I wanted to upgrade.

Based on the number of ICE cars I see driving around with the fuel door open and the gas cap flapping in the breeze, I guess it's possible. It just seem so automatic to me to flip it shut when I pull the charge handle out that I don't even think about it.

I do recall a few firmware releases ago that it used to pop back open as soon as I sat down (often more than once) forcing me to get up and close it. That was annoying for sure.

Now imagine you have a PHEV and can have TWO doors open... I used to swear my charge port was popping open on its own the first month I had mine, until I learn with the charge handle in right hand, close with the left and make it a habit. Like magic, port wasn't 'popping open on its own.'

The Fusion has a pressurized fuel system so it complains if you try to drive off with gas door open but will let you look foolish with the charge port open all day...