Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto crack windows to let heat out during day parking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Togg

Mar 24, 2019
CA
New feature request:

* A switch to allow the car to automatically crack the windows a little, to let the heat out when it's parked outside our house during the day in bright sun, i.e. when the interior is too warm, and it's cooler outside.

Obviously we might want to decide if this operates all of the time, or just at certain safe locations, or not at all, and also to be controlled from the phone app.

This would save me from having to manually go out our car and crack the windows each day.

I think this might save considerable energy because the interior heat is radiated down into the battery, and that then the battery needs to be further cooled, just while the car is parked. Just letting the heat out the windows might help considerably with the standby battery conditioning load.

I know, we picked the black interior. That was probably a mistake on our part.

While you're at it I think using some of the heating adverse paints, like they use on roofing, might also help the car keep cooler, while still allowing it to have many colors.

Thanks.

What about a fan that turns on automatically when the cabin gets warm? Let's even dream, what if the Air Conditioner would turn on if it gets too hot.

Cabin Overheat Protection. Been on the cars for about a half year. Should be default on, I have changed to fan only.

Stop worrying about the battery. It will take care of itself.

• Funny
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
New feature request:

* A switch to allow the car to automatically crack the windows a little, to let the heat out when it's parked outside our house during the day in bright sun, i.e. when the interior is too warm, and it's cooler outside.
I would like to be informed of the status of the window remotely.

Sometime when exiting the car, I put my hand on the windows control buttons, leaving some windows open without noticing it.

Idem to be able to know remotely if all the doors, trunk, and frunk are ajar and not closed.

What about a fan that turns on automatically when the cabin gets warm? Let's even dream, what if the Air Conditioner would turn on if it gets too hot.

Cabin Overheat Protection. Been on the cars for about a half year. Should be default on, I have changed to fan only.

Stop worrying about the battery. It will take care of itself.

I need to worry about the battery. On days the car doesn’t sleep, I lose more miles it sitting not sleeping that I do when driving. And at my high cost of electricity I’m already close to break even with an ICE on cost to run. I don’t need it to be any worse.

A simple passive cooling by cracking windows would be great. I’d be happy even if it was manual through the app.

Even my VW allowed windows and sunroof to stay open and if the the rain sensing wipers detected rain it would close everything up. Worked great.

Reactions: is2scooby
I’ve asked Elon in Twitter for a ‘window button’ on the app. Push the button once, windows roll down 2”. Push it again and they roll down halfway. A third push and they go back up. Same principle as any other remote command. I too would like this feature over having to let the fan come on every 45 minutes to keep the cabin from getting super hot. For me, having the cabin at 150 degrees while I’m at work for 8hrs is not big deal. But I’d like to simply roll the windows down 10 minutes before I leave work than use up battery power. That’s all.

Reactions: Watts_Up
How would "crack the windows" be better than Cabin Overheat Protection in fan only mode? Genuine question, no snark.
For me, I’m not using any energy if I can crack my windows. I’m not 100% sure how fan only overheat protection works. But if the fan comes on for 5-10 minutes every 30-45 minutes, over 8-10hrs I assume I’m losing a measurable amount of juice.
Having said that, I’m used to just opening the app and starting the fan 10 minutes before work. So I’m not heartbroken that we can’t have a window button. I just think it’d be nice for those of us who A) live in climates where it’s both hot muggy/ and super cold where energy/range is a concern. That’s all. (No snark taken. ;))

You can remotely lock or unlock your car, or adjust the ambient temperature or heat the seats,
but you cannot check remotely if all the windows are closed or open, or remotely manoeuver the windows?

- It's very easy to accidentally touch the window control switches when exiting your car,
or have a passenger who left a windows open after leaving your car.

So be be able to remotely lock your car or activate the heating or the air conditioning
without be able to know the windows setting status doesn't make sense for me.

Reactions: wman and F14Scott
How would "crack the windows" be better than Cabin Overheat Protection in fan only mode? Genuine question, no snark.

Fair question. Easy to answer: Sit in our M3 on a hot day, with it's black seats, and test it for yourself. My own experience is that with the windows fully shut no amount of fan can lower the heat by much, and you will quickly have to exit the car to stay alive.

A small amount of cracked window makes quite a difference. Surely you might want to do both, but the cracked window is far more effective at letting the heat out. For one the heat rises to the top of the air inside the car. The fan moves the cooler air, not the hottest air. The cracked window allows the very hottest air to escape.

A secondary point is that energy wise, cracking the window uses far less energy to accomplish: a quick motor run vs. an ongoing motor run.

Obviously all of this depends on where you live. Where I live in the Eastern Sierra this is how things work for me.

Thanks for the question.

Maybe liability. You remotely tell the window to crack open - a child sticks a finger in - you command close - that's the picture.
Same with auto controlling it.

Good point. I don't have children. So perhaps there needs to be a cautionary note for those who do. Also I think the top of the windows is fairly high up for any smaller children. Also the issue of fingers in windows is not unique to this feature idea, there already exists the issue of keeping fingers out of windows and doors. Appropriate supervision around the car is already necessary.

But you've made me wonder now: What if a back seat window went up during driving when a hand was in it? What are the consequences of this? Surely the rubber seal will be involved, and how much force is on the windows as they go up?

(When I was a teenager I caught my finger in a sprocket on a home made go-cart I built as I attempted to switch gears on the old motorcycle transmission I was using. There was a lot of screaming and some weeks of healing. But thru some luck I have my fingers today at 60. So I am sensitive to the issue of finger getting stuck in things.)

Last edited:
Good point. I don't have children. So perhaps there needs to be a cautionary note for those who do. Also I think the top of the windows is fairly high up for any smaller children. Also the issue of fingers in windows is not unique to this feature idea, there already exists the issue of keeping fingers out of windows and doors. Appropriate supervision around the car is already necessary.

But you've made me wonder now: What if a back seat window went up during driving when a hand was in it? What are the consequences of this? Surely the rubber seal will be involved, and how much force is on the windows as they go up?

(When I was a teenager I caught my finger in a sprocket on a home made go-cart I built as I attempted to switch gears on the old motorcycle transmission I was using. There was a lot of screaming and some weeks of healing. But thru some luck I have my fingers today at 60. So I am sensitive to the issue of finger getting stuck in things.)
As with other manufacturers Tesla has anti-pinch windows as a standard safety feature.
From NHTSA for the Model 3:
Safety Power Windows (Anti-Pinch)
Standard
Safety Power Windows (Anti-Pinch) locations
Driver, Front Passenger, Rear Seat

• Informative
Reactions: bredi
Also the software wouldn't have to roll up the windows. Just auto roll them down, i.e. auto crack them.

Also there could be a setting to allow either: a) automatic up off (i.e. windows up manually) OR b) automatic up on (when it's no longer any benefit to have them cracked).