Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Dealers try to tie sales restrictions to Federal bill on self-driving cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David29

Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2015
DEDHAM, MA
I saw an article today by Reuters News service about a bill being drafted by a House committee to allow automakers to produce up to 100,000 self-driving cars. The bill would limit the ability of states to regulate the self-driving cars and set up limited review by Federal authorities. Supposedly the bill was being pushed by automakers including Tesla. Nominally, it sounds as if the bill would be helpful to the early deployment of self-driving automobile technology and avoid overlapping and conflicting safety regimes. (But it would turn out to work is beyond my guess now.)

But the story included this little gem as well: "Auto dealers want the final bill to clarify that the measure would not preempt state dealer franchise laws that generally bar automakers from selling vehicles directly to consumers."

I love that word "clarify," when in fact the Federal Trade Commission has already said that such state laws are anti-consumer and anti-competitive,

(I am sorry I cannot provide a link to the actual story because I read it inside my Fidelity account's login page.)

Reactions: zmarty
Here is the link to that Reuters article:

House panel approves broad proposal on self-driving cars

Note also the second paragraph:
Representative Robert Latta, a Republican who heads the Energy and Commerce Committee subcommittee overseeing consumer protection, said he would continue to consider changes before the full committee votes on the measure...

...giving, of course, all sorts of slack in the canvas for sundry camels to stick their noses under.....

Reactions: David29
I love the hypocrisy here... Republicans go on and on and on and on till their blue in the face about wanting free and open markets... Except... If what you're trying to sell encroaches on any established territory they have then you're going to have to constantly deal with legislative attempts to shut you down...

Jeff

Reactions: techmaven
I love the hypocrisy here... Republicans go on and on and on and on till their blue in the face about wanting free and open markets... Except... If what you're trying to sell encroaches on any established territory they have then you're going to have to constantly deal with legislative attempts to shut you down...

Jeff
1. There is no such thing as a free market. We are not remotely close to having one.
2. Both parties overwhelmingly support the bill. When you take a voice vote it is unanimous.
3. What would happen if Tesla were to open non-union manufacturing plants in all 50 states?
Who would be unfairly pushing back then?
Why are democrats so against Uber and AirBNB?

It goes both ways, just follow the money.