TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Auto Dimming Broken

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by aaronw, Apr 21, 2013.

Tags:
  1. aaronw

aaronw Member

Last night when driving home my model S running 4.4 refused to run in night-time mode when set to auto. It was around 2am. I have never seen this problem before, anyone else had this problem? Note that the headlights automatically turned on.

2. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

On 4.4 when I got my car. So I can't tell if its different. But, I have noticed that the "Controls" screen doesn't seem to go into night mode when I go into my garage. Lights come on, Looks like most of the touchscreen goes to dark mode. But the controls sub window stays bright. Again, not sure if thats normal.

3. Enadler

Enadler Member

I did notice that the nav screen didnt auto dim since 4.4. To correct it I choose another screen and then go back to nav and it appears dimmed. I know not a fix for auto dim but a work around to the blaring white light without manually dimming.

4. StephenM

StephenM Active Member

I had the same problem since update. Doesn't go to night mode on the display when on auto.

5. gmontem

gmontem Model S P01707

FW 4.4 here. This problem showed up a couple of days ago for me.

6. aaronw

aaronw Member

I noticed that in addition to not dimming the screens at night it is turning on the headlights during the day when the headlights are set to auto. Rebooting the displays made no difference. I'm scheduled to take my car in to service on Thursday to see what they say. I never had these issues with 4.3.

7. flybob08

flybob08 Member

Same problem with the Nav screen staying in day mode at night until I change to add traffic or satellite. I also have black squares on the map that don't go away until I change to add traffic or satellite.

8. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Member

I think somewhere after 4.1 (4.3?) the google map caching was "improved" to reduce the times where no map tiles were loaded and 3G signal was weak. A side effect of that was that going in/out of night mode did NOT refresh the tiles. I would often be in night mode from my garage and then start driving where the map remained dark. Toggling traffic on/off, for example, would force a refresh.

All in all IMO its an improvement over the blank tiles.