Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto-dimming mirror too bright

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The last two nights driving the car, I've found myself having to point the rear view mirror up at the ceiling so that I don't go blind. It's supposed to auto-dim, but the thing is still crazy bright. Has anyone else experienced this?

What vehicle are you coming from? An SUV that had factory tinted windows? For me, I have very light-sensitive eyes. I have always been blinded by headlights at night. Tinting your windows makes a HUUUUGE difference. I need to tint my rear windows and side windows in every vehicle I've ever owned just to make driving at night "safer" for me. If you are coming from a vehicle that had factory tinted windows and you're not used to having a non-tinted rear window, yes that can definitely feel "blinding" regardless of any auto-dimming mirrors (especially when in front of a truck, since their headlights are basically on the same plane as your eyes).

Where does it sense the light to dim the mirrors? Maybe it is dirty/dusty.

There are two sensors: one on the back of the mirror to sense ambient light and one on the face of the mirror to detect glare from headlights. If you cover the sensor on the back during the day, it will make the mirror start to dim since it "thinks" it's dark out and too much light is hitting the mirror glass.

If the rear sensor on the back of the mirror was dirty, it would actually dim the mirror further, not less.