Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Dimming Mirrors.... Kinda Dark

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went with 55% tinting on the windows and rear windshield and despite the automatically dimming side and rear view mirrors, I do not think it is too dark. Is it darker than anything else I’ve ever experienced? Yes. Too dark to function? No.

But.

I do not like the rear view mirror at all. The car shape tilts up toward the back and the mirror is actually quite useless if the car behind me is quite close to me. I have tilted the rear view mirror downward such that its top half shows me the rear windshield and bottom half sees the rear dash. If I tilt the mirror upward any more it becomes even more useless.

Anyone else?

Reactions: Sirricardo
I do not like the rear view mirror at all. The car shape tilts up toward the back and the mirror is actually quite useless if the car behind me is quite close to me. I have tilted the rear view mirror downward such that its top half shows me the rear windshield and bottom half sees the rear dash. If I tilt the mirror upward any more it becomes even more useless.

Anyone else?
The Broadway mirror has helped a lot for me. I get full coverage of the rear window without the dimming. I did not feel safe using the small stock mirror, especially when it was auto-dimmed at night.

Reactions: rlb4
Can you please share a link? How easy was the installation? I see it is a clip on accessory but let me know.
See post #62 upthread. @ranova provided links and descriptions of the various models. I went with the regular flat version. They have different sizes available, but the 240mm fits nicely without getting in the way of the visors.

It just clips over the stock mirror. No tools required and easy to remove if you decide you don't like it. So far, I'm loving mine.

Okay, popped off the side mirrors to disconnect the dimmer, but now they don't reattach as securely. They are definitely attached, requiring just as much force to get back off, however, they now wiggle a little. Any pro tips on how to attach them as securely as factory?

Okay, popped off the side mirrors to disconnect the dimmer, but now they don't reattach as securely. They are definitely attached, requiring just as much force to get back off, however, they now wiggle a little. Any pro tips on how to attach them as securely as factory?

Please get back to us if you have an update on this. I still need to pop mine off, but don't want to damage anything.

Reactions: preilly44
Dark mirrors are nice when they react fast but they go back to not dark to slowly. TM3 Feb 2019.
So there is some automatic stuff going on, but still to dangerous to drive at night around Amsterdam (Netherlands) where many people drive their bike without light or inadequate lights. I know it is supposed to be their problem but it is my responsibility...

Tesla garage Amsterdam Zuid-Oost refused to pull the power plug to the side mirrors.
So I'll have to do it myself.

The video in this thread, and the picture, are Model S if I am not mistaken? Is that correct?
If getting the cap of of the mirror works the same on the Feb 2019 TM3, ok, looks doable.
And is the plug in the same spot on the TM3 as on the Model S mirror.

And yes, putting it back without remaining wiggle would be great as well :).

Anyone any experience on this with a recent Model 3? Preferably with video and pictures :)

Last edited:
Reactions: DesertLurker
I have swapped out my side mirrors for the Suma convex mirrors and it makes a world of difference. recommended. would like something nice for rear view mirror that gives a bit more night visibility as well as being a bit bigger but don't want anything huge, just maybe 10-20%
let me know if this broadway fits the bill.

Good thread; I curbed my rim while backing up because the dimming in evening rain made it super dark. Did not see the curb. Your post made me disconnect it immediately. :cool:
81A6AD28-7632-4E80-B3A8-70111B0A2499.jpeg

Ok, removing the mirror was easier than expected. Just tilt the mirror into the car and pull on the outer side. It pops right off.

From there, I just what @Daniel in SD showed in his picture. There are 2 other plugs which I assume are for the heating/defrosting element. And lo and behold, no more dimming of the side mirrors! In all my years of driving, I never once thought to myself "oh, a car's headlight is blinding me from the side mirrors, I wish it dimmed." If/when Tesla implements dimming controls, I'll replug it back in. I did make sure to wrap it tight with electrical tape just incase water somehow gets in there.

sJD8wjc.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Jedi2155
i can vouch for suma mirrors... been using them on my 3 for some months now and no complaints. they work as advertised. i think there is a trick to removing the mirrors where if you adjust them first to their outermost position and shim the inner side gap it pops off much easier

• Informative
Reactions: BodegaBay