Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Dimming Mirrors.... Kinda Dark

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I had a choice of level 1 through 10 on opaqueness, it will be a different story. But mine are just way too dark and I haven’t even tinted the windows.
It reminds me of the thread about how the car goes WAY too fast through corners, but I HATE how slow it goes through corners.
I do agree there should be a setting, but still funny to read these threads how some say its too dark, some say its not dark enough.

Reactions: rlb4
Had the same issue with not being able to see at night after tint.
Unplugged the rearview mirror per video here and now all mirrors do not dim anymore. Excellent.

Removing that trim piece was a bitch...took me half an hour and 3 destroyed plastic cards but it came off. You do not need to remove anything else. Just a single plastic piece.

Had the same issue with not being able to see at night after tint.
Unplugged the rearview mirror per video here and now all mirrors do not dim anymore. Excellent.

Removing that trim piece was a bitch...took me half an hour and 3 destroyed plastic cards but it came off. You do not need to remove anything else. Just a single plastic piece.

So this turns off just the rear view dimming? Not the side mirrors? As that's what I would like to do...

I take that back...you also have to unplug the side mirrors...

The side mirrors are easy. I just put a bigger wide angle mirror over top of the rearview. :)

I was hoping for the promised software fix, but that seems to have been forgotten.

Behold! I stand corrected, it's coming:

Unfortunately this just appears to be an on/off thing, not adjustable. I wonder if it saves with the driver profile.

Heck, I'd be happy with just auto/on/off settings as with the other controls, such as the high beams and wipers.
This probably has been mentioned already elsewhere, but just to follow-up in this thread, Tesla has finally provided an option to disable auto-dim mirrors. It was introduced a couple of software updates back. I can finally see objects and landscape in the side view mirrors at night rather than just spots of headlights or street lights.

Reactions: G35Rocker
Sadly, the new option is not doing it for me because it's not quite what I want. I want the dimming when I am on the highway and a car is behind me with bright headlights, especially high beams or elevated lights. I don't want the dimming on city streets, especially on the right mirror, where people in scooters and bikes might be coming along on the right and I want to see them.

The answer is obvious -- Tesla has cameras. It knows where the mirror is. It knows where my head is. It knows where the bright lights are and thus whether they will be shining in my eyes via the mirrors. Calculate it, and dim the mirror if a bright light might blind me, but dim the right mirror less on city streets. Of course, it also knows where the scooters and cyclists are, and so if it sees those, it could make sure I see them in particular. This seems complex but is actually pretty simple for the computers in the Tesla to do, now that they have the internal camera active and watching the position of my head for autopilot.

• Funny
Reactions: Gasaraki
Why did Tesla make this complicated? Why not just use the normal auto-dimming functionality found on other cars? It’s quite simple, vary the dimming based on the light differential. That way the mirrors vary the amount of dimming based on actual light shining into the car from behind. Instead, Tesla’s implemenation is just an on or off thing, and the mirrors are always dimmed at night, regardless of whether there are cars behind you, regardless of whether they need to be dimmed or not. Every other car I’ve owned, tinting the windows actually caused the mirrors to dim less because there was less light entering the cabin at night.

This probably has been mentioned already elsewhere, but just to follow-up in this thread, Tesla has finally provided an option to disable auto-dim mirrors. It was introduced a couple of software updates back. I can finally see objects and landscape in the side view mirrors at night rather than just spots of headlights or street lights.
I don't see that option. Can you tell me what software update it appears on? Thanks

I'm currently on 2021.32.21, but IIRC, it *may* have been introduced on an earlier update. The option is accessed on the Mirrors setting.
Thanks, I was able to find the setting. I turned off the auto dimming and I like it a lot better. My windows are tinted and it was very hard to see anything but headlights in the mirrors at night. I think I am going to leave mine off! Thanks!