Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Dimming Mirrors Not Working?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought my car new in December 2016. My auto dimming mirrors don't appear to be working. (I'm not a fan of auto dimming mirrors because they never get dark enough for me on any car I've driven). In an effort to test the system I covered, with my hands, what I believe to be the sensor on the left/back side of the rear view mirror as well as the sensor on the left/reflective side of the mirror and nothing happens, no dimming. I'm doing this in bright sunshine. I've covered the back side only, the mirror side only and both at the same time. Does this indicate the auto dimming feature is not working or am I not testing it properly? The car is on and in drive during my testing. Not driving while testing. <grin>

I bought my car new in December 2016. My auto dimming mirrors don't appear to be working. (I'm not a fan of auto dimming mirrors because they never get dark enough for me on any car I've driven). In an effort to test the system I covered, with my hands, what I believe to be the sensor on the left/back side of the rear view mirror as well as the sensor on the left/reflective side of the mirror and nothing happens, no dimming. I'm doing this in bright sunshine. I've covered the back side only, the mirror side only and both at the same time. Does this indicate the auto dimming feature is not working or am I not testing it properly? The car is on and in drive during my testing. Not driving while testing. <grin>

I think mine "works," but I've complained rather bitterly on the forums about how badly it works. I think it would have been unacceptable on a 1970 Dodge. I've also written to Evannex suggesting that if they could offer an auto-dimming or, even better, a manually dimmed replacement rear-view mirror, they'd sell a lot of them. They replied that they've had several inquires just like mine, enough that they're looking into producing a replacement. The problem in developing an aftermarket replacement is that the sensor in the interior rear-view also controls the dimming function of the exterior mirrors.
What you didn't mention is the frame around the mirror. Even if the mirror dimmed normally, I'd be tempted to attack it with a hammer because of the mirror-bright metal frame that some retarded engineer or design stooge placed around it. That frame can be nearly blinding all by itself.
Tesla should be sorely ashamed of this mirror, the design of which was universally perfected within the industry way back in the last century. A few design goofs are inevitable in any new, complex product, but this one is inexcusably glaring (sorry, pun unavoidable).
BTW, I've found that yellow "night-driving" glasses are inexpensive and do help with the shortcomings of the rear-view.

Reactions: Enginerd
I'm a little confused by what you are doing.

Shouldn't the auto dimming darken the mirrors at night when a bright light is detected in the rear of the vehicle?
Wouldn't that mean the sensor pointing to the front of the car would be an ambient sensor and determine when the auto dimming feature would work?
Isn't the sensor pointing to the rear a glare sensor (I can see it in the left 3rd of the mirror)? When the ambient sensor is covered (i.e. it's dark out) and the glare sensor senses bright light (i.e. headlights in rear) the mirrors should dim.

Well, I decided to check this out and, with the car in drive, headlights on, darkened garage, I shined a light at the mirror and could not detect any dimming. Very disappointing. So not sure this really works. :-(

put a piece of electricians tape over the light sensor on the back (facing out the windshield) of the interior mirror..

drive around for a couple days and nights..

if you don't notice any dimming, check the mirror is plugged in the headliner... take the grill out.. check for voltage on the connector

• Informative
Reactions: PrGrPa and vraev
Guess I’m not the only one. The auto dim mirrors on my Model 3 do not work as they should. They either do not dim at all, or they just dim and stay dim the entire ride. More often than not they just don’t dim. I tried shining a flashlight on the mirror and nothing. You can see the sensor in the mirror with a flashlight so I know I was hitting the sensor. Will be taking it in for service because it seems like everyone likes to drive with their brights on around me and it’s driving me a little insane.

My autodimming mirrors worked for a few months, haven't worked since. Not a big deal as the sun shades work better than the autodimming mirrors for blocking bright lights through the hatch.