Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto dimming mirrors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I recall correctly on my X, you can adjust the reverse position to be any where you want either mirror to be. Just adjust them while in reverse. It’s a “reverse profile”. Not sure Model 3 is the same. I kind of figured it out by accident.
Correct 3s and now Ys are the same, been this way since the first Model 3s rolled off the line.

And back on-topic, indeed it looks like auto-dimming is going bye bye. Must simply be cheaper to manufacture and wire these up... next perhaps no more rear view mirror auto dim.

The really dumb part is just like in the X, you can put the 3 into reverse, adjust the mirrors, and hit save. Unlike the X, this doesn’t actually remember the setting :D

I’ve never hit save. But I have no profiles.

My guess is that if you do have profiles then it makes sense that any change you make to a profile, including reverse position needs to be saved.

Holy crap. I’m driving my friend’s SR+ to see if the wind noise is any worse than mine (it’s the same) and I can see why people hate the dimming mirrors. Even without tint it’s really dark... can only imagine what it would be like with tint!

Holy crap. I’m driving my friend’s SR+ to see if the wind noise is any worse than mine (it’s the same) and I can see why people hate the dimming mirrors. Even without tint it’s really dark... can only imagine what it would be like with tint!

I ran the rear Tesla sunshade on Model 3 (Sept 2018 Built Performance Stealth).
But I tried the same Tesla sunshade on Model X (Sept 2019 Built) and it was literally Solid Black.

Not sure how much difference the tint is on Model 3 vs X on the lower part of the back window in the main viewing region.

Mine (manufactured 1 month ago) has auto dimming only on the rearview mirror, nothing for the side mirrors, and this seems like the perfect setup for me. One that I rented in January had auto dimming on the side mirrors and it was too hard to see when changing lanes at night. Not sure if that one had any extra tint or not.

Reactions: IDRVSLO
Please ! Tesla cant seem to answer this question. Where is the sensor that controls the auto dimming feature for the rear view and side mirrors ? they seem to dark at night and even at dusk. My Lexus used to have an on off button on the rear view mirror and functioned from bright lights from cars behind me. The model 3 seems to adjust mirrors based on night or daylight in step with the 3s headlights and flat screen. My windows have light tint and at night is almost impossible to see from side mirrors.
My Model X has only factory tinting, i.e.tinting of the rear hatch glass with no tinting on either of the front windows. My side view mirrors are as bright as can be - I love them. When using my rear view mirror, everything appears very dark behind me. I can barely see much of anything behind me. I hate it!

I have NEVER noted any of my mirrors dimming or brightening. I even taped over the rear view mirror sensors one at a time and both at the same time. I never saw ANY difference whatsoever, driving the same stretch of road repeatedly. I also flipped my mirror upside down so that the widest part was at the top. Initially I thought this helped, but repeated testing along the same stretch of road showed that there really was no difference.

My rear view mirror was replaced the second day I had the car. It made no difference, making me wonder if perhaps the issue lies not in the mirror itself but somewhere else.

28oIDgC.png

Woot woot

Something needs to detect headlights from behind, at night, to activate dimming.

Look carefully at your rear view mirror with a flashlight. There’s a little portal in there. No way of knowing if a sensor exists or is connected, though, without disassembling it.

You would think the car could use the rear facing camera(s) to detect headlights. The front facing one clearly does, for the auto-highbeam feature.

Reactions: EV-by-the-Sea
Something needs to detect headlights from behind, at night, to activate dimming.

Look carefully at your rear view mirror with a flashlight. There’s a little portal in there. No way of knowing if a sensor exists or is connected, though, without disassembling it.

You would think the car could use the rear facing camera(s) to detect headlights. The front facing one clearly does, for the auto-highbeam feature.

That never works properly either. Always going on and off

Also, gangs use to and probably still do have an initiation method for new members in which they drive with their brights on and have to kill the person in the first vehicle they encounter that flashes their brights back at them

So I keep auto high beam off and never flash people, just to be on the safe side

How can I tell if mine has the auto dimming? My side mirror does seem very dark at night when I'm driving.

I noticed that both of my side mirrors have the outline. (See the pic attached)
20200521_210411.jpg

EDIt: Picked up my car on 03/03/20 and it was built on 2/20

Last edited: