Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto-dimming side mirror design issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a reddit thread going on regarding what may be a design issue on the the newer auto-dimming side mirrors on the Model Y. The complaints are that drivers 6'x" cannon adjust the driver side mirror to have a good visibility of the lane to the left. Multiple people are indicating this was not a problem on the older style mirrors of the MYs they had taken a test drive in but is a problem with the newer style.

Does anyone over 6'1" see this issue? I'm tall and have a MYP on order.

Reddit thread: Very poor visibility in the driver side mirror for 2021 MY with auto-dimming mirrors : TeslaModelY

I have a MYP with the auto dimming mirrors. I'm 6'-1" and I did notice the I put the drivers side mirror out and up as far as it will go. It works fine for me but I probably would have went a little further if it could. I could see how someone a few inches taller could have an issue with it. I also have the seat as low as it will go.

My 2020 Y has the dimming feature lit in the menu but it doesn’t seem to do anything, at least not to the side mirrors? if I have the software can I assume I have the hardware? How can I check this with the vin? Ty for any answers.

My 2020 Y has the dimming feature lit in the menu but it doesn’t seem to do anything, at least not to the side mirrors? if I have the software can I assume I have the hardware? How can I check this with the vin? Ty for any answers.
I have a 2020 LRMY without the dimming side mirrors. Tesla added the screen control to manually turn on/off the dimming function of the side view mirrors in those Model 3, Model Y vehicles equipped with the auto-dimming mirrors. This control does not work with the auto-dimming rear view mirror. As my Model Y does not have auto-dimming side view mirrors I determined that this control does not perform any function in my Model Y.

There is 100% a change in the mirrors on the Y. We started with a model 3 and got these NXTGEN extended view blind spot mirrors. They fit perfectly like they came with the car and really have impressively clear glass. Then when the Y came my wife was not so comfortable vs the 3 and it is harder to see out of. We went to get the mirrors from that company and they have a message on their website that Tesla made changes to the mirrors. We talked to them and they were not thrilled, because they just developed the Y mirrors, which they injection molded. The tooling costs are very expensive and then Tesla quickly changed the design. The passenger side is a perfect fit. The drivers side has a small bit of glass, a gap exposed between the real mirror and the added on. This is not the case on the model 3 we have. Even with this small gap, we can see A LOT better, these are really nice!! Attached drivers and passenger side for reference. Mine has the gap with the revised mirrors on driver side as seen. The difference is the plastic housing around the glass. It stops these add-on mirrors from going all the way up and stops the factory glass from moving as far.

If you have visibility issues, this little gap isn't that big of a deal, these have a lot of added visibility!

Got them on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...yId=40cf570e-9429-4e6f-ae06-1f67a7068344&th=1

Attachments

• IMG_2967.jpeg
    IMG_2967.jpeg
    246.8 KB · Views: 92
  • Y3b.jpeg
    Y3b.jpeg
    213.4 KB · Views: 51
There is a reddit thread going on regarding what may be a design issue on the the newer auto-dimming side mirrors on the Model Y. The complaints are that drivers 6'x" cannon adjust the driver side mirror to have a good visibility of the lane to the left. Multiple people are indicating this was not a problem on the older style mirrors of the MYs they had taken a test drive in but is a problem with the newer style.

Does anyone over 6'1" see this issue? I'm tall and have a MYP on order.

Reddit thread: Very poor visibility in the driver side mirror for 2021 MY with auto-dimming mirrors : TeslaModelY
6'1, I have unusually tall upper body, shorter legs, so like a 6-3 or 4 when seated. No issue with my mid September Y, not sure if they are new style or not.