Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto door unlock question.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I know that the auto door unlock based on the phone or key fob works almost 100% of the time for me, but I need to know how it actually functions for an accessory I am thinking of purchasing.

Does the auto unlock work by unlocking the doors as soon as it detects the phone / key fob? Or, does it unlock when you push in the rear part of the door handle before you pull on the handle to unlatch the door?

Thanks,

Keith

The door unlocks when you push the rear part of the door handle. The Tesla app can unlock the doors of the Tesla vehicle by tapping on the lock icon on the main screen.
Crap. I was hoping that it unlocked when you approach the car. The argument against having a kick sensor for the mechanized frunk is that you have to unlock the car with the app before the kick sensor would be active, so it is just as easy to just hit the "open frunk" button instead of the "unlock" button and then use the kick sensor.

This may push me towards getting a key fob. Easier to use the key fob to open the frunk than it is to open my phone, unlock my phone, open the Tesla app, and then push the "open funk" button.

Keith

Crap. I was hoping that it unlocked when you approach the car. The argument against having a kick sensor for the mechanized frunk is that you have to unlock the car with the app before the kick sensor would be active, so it is just as easy to just hit the "open frunk" button instead of the "unlock" button and then use the kick sensor.

This may push me towards getting a key fob. Easier to use the key fob to open the frunk than it is to open my phone, unlock my phone, open the Tesla app, and then push the "open funk" button.

Keith
If the electronic is designed 'correctly', it should function similarly to the 'handle' for the trunk. Meaning, the activation of the kick sensor would request the unlock from the car, just like when you physically press the button to open the trunk even when car is locked.

If the electronic is designed 'correctly', it should function similarly to the 'handle' for the trunk. Meaning, the activation of the kick sensor would request the unlock from the car, just like when you physically press the button to open the trunk even when car is locked.

But the designers of the EVoffer auto opening frunk system discourage the idea of using a kick sensor. They give a bunch of excuses and say they will send it too you if you really want it, but that you may as well just use the app to open it since you have to use the app to unlock the car. That means (to me) that they have little to no interest in adapting it to work correctly with a kick sensor.

Virtually all of the objections in the video are irrelevant if you car is set up to lock when you take it out of park... it will not open when a pedestrian walks past you in a cross walk, or when you drive up to a parking curb if the doors are locked...

Seem to me that it would be a relatively simple adaptation to make it work. Hell, the same company makes auto door handle poppers that present the door handle when the car unlocks when you walk up to it... so they have the ability to make the car do things when the phone or key fob comes within range... all they would have to do is make the doors actually unlock when the keyfob / phone comes within range... but they have no interest in doing so.

Keith

Last edited: